3rd Trimester

Tell me about being induced please...

I found out this week that I will be induced at week 39 because of high blood pressure.  I also have protein in my urine that could cause me to be induced sooner than 39 weeks.  Right now it's at 231 and the dr. said if it gets to 300 I will be induced right away.

I have a very negative image of induction in my head and it's scaring me.  Just seems like it will be a very LONG, painful process since I'm going to the hospital not in labor and being forced into labor by drugs.  I would love any information, advice, anything from people that have gone through an induction.


BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Tell me about being induced please...

  • I was induced with my first and it went very well.  I came in the night before for Cervadil to be placed.  The next morning at 6am they started Pitocin.  Contractions started around 9am and DS was born after 45 minutes of pushing at 4:45pm.  It was a great experience.  I am being induced again for this one due to medical reasons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a very positive induction experience.  My total labor from start to finish was about 7 hours.  I was exactly 40 weeks.  I was already dilated about 3cm and 80% effaced, which I'm sure helped.  Stay positive and make it a great experience!  It's better to be safe than sorry and your health is important.  If you have high BP and protein in your urine you don't want to risk it.  


    I hope it all goes smooth for you! 

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I will tell you that I was induced with DD for the same reason you are. I had reached pre-e status though. I had a long induction because my Bishop score was kinda low but it wasn't horrible. It took me 66 hours to have DD but they made me very comfortable and I think the worst part was being on the liquid diet for the length of the induction lol. The most uncomfortable part of the entire induction for me was the placement of the cervidil. I had a foley bulb cervidil and pitocin. I also had an epi, (which the missed a total of 3 times inserting). Once it was in I was in heaven.

    I am also being induced this time too for medical reasons next Thursday. Hoping this one goes as smoothly as the other.

    Life is short, live it to its fullest :)

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers


  • I was induced at 38 1/2 weeks with my first and I was only about 1cm dilated. Total process was 12 hours, and I pushed for about 45 min. At 4 cm I got an epidural and then took a nap until it was time to push. Great experience.
  • I don't have first-hand advice, but my sister was induced, last year, at 41 weeks because she wasn't dilated at all. 

    She was given the first dose of syntocin about 16 hours before my nephew was born. It wasn't especially painful, she had no odd side effects. Her natural ability to produce oxtytocin, though, kicked in around hour 15 and she went from 2 cm to holding my nephew with no tearing, no c-section, no nothing in less than an hour.

    All in all, she had a positive experience and was happy with it.  

    BabyName Ticker
  • Lurking from 0-3...

    I was induced at 39w3d. Went to the hospital the night before and got two doses of Cytotec to ripen the cervix (didn't do much). The next morning I was at about 3cm, 80% effaced, and they started the pitocin at 7 AM. Upped it about once an hour, if I recall. I got to 4cm at around noon, requested the epidural, it was in place by 1 or so, and I was complete and ready to push by 4:30. Pushed for 40-50 minutes. The induction worked well and I had a healthy baby. No regrets!

  • I was induced with both my babies and it was a pleasant experience. It was notdrug out the least bit. I went into labor on my own but my body is very slow at dilating..thanks mom!! So I needed the pitocin to progress. I did both babies all natural, meaning no pain meds : good luck
  • I was induced with my first children (twins) at 38 1/2 weeks because of high blood pressure also.  It was fabulous, I had them both vaginally, in a total of 6 hours from start to finish.  It was so nice to know when I was going to give birth. They started pitocin at around 800 am ish, and both were out by 2:30pm.  I had my father run out and buy me a steak dinner and bring it to the hospital and that was that :).  I'm now 34 weeks with a single baby, and I am nervous about NOT being induced.  I think the idea that its "forced" is not a good picture, you are really close to the end, your body knows what to do.  I would try and relax, let it feel as natural as possible, eat a good breakfast, wear what you want, wake up extra early and think about it as a privilege to be able to schedule the time instead of having to wait for a surprise.  Also I hear yucky stories of water breaking, and my doc broke my water and it was like the best feeling of relief ever :0).  Take the long way to the hospital, breathe in the morning air, do something interesting like rent a movie the night before, and embrace it, Attitude has a lot to do with all of this, the more you can expect a better outcome, the higher your chance will be to have a good experience.  Good luck to you, and take care.
  • image kfrix13:
    I was induced with my first and it went very well.  I came in the night before for Cervadil to be placed.  The next morning at 6am they started Pitocin.  Contractions started around 9am and DS was born after 45 minutes of pushing at 4:45pm.  It was a great experience.  I am being induced again for this one due to medical reasons.

    Hi there, lurking from SAHM. My story is very much like this one. I was 39 weeks and had an amazing experience. I went in the night before for Cervadil. My doc came in around 7am to start Pitocin and around 9am they broke my water. I got my epidural after 4cm and was pushing at 5:15. My DD1 was born 45 minutes later. The experience was great and my OB was very patient when it came to my progress. I never felt rushed and there wasn't a concern for C section until I was pushing (concern that baby wouldn't fit), but she came out just fine.

     I was induced for my 2nd as well and the experience was much the same. The big difference was that I was already dilating a bit, so I didn't go in the night before. I went to the hospital around 6am and baby was born at 1pm. If we have the same issues, I'll be induced again with no worries from me.

    I know it can be scary and it doesn't always turn out this well. Good luck to you!

    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

    C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013


  • I was induced with both of my girls and there is a possibility that I will be induced this time as well.  

    With my first, I was at 41 weeks, 4 days when I went in at midnight to have cervidil inserted.  I was 1 cm dilated when I went in.  The cervidil was inserted around 2 in the morning and I started feeling mild contractions around 8 am.  It was removed around 2 pm and I was at 4 cm.  My water was broken at about 5:30 PM and that's when the real contractions started.  Up until then, the contractions were totally bearable.  I was at still at 4 cm at that point.   Once the real contractions started, I got an epidural and then started pitocin after the epidural took effect (about 15 minutes after it was administered). I was in literally no pain until she was born at 1:49 in the morning.  The whole process took about 24 hours but it wasn't miserable at all.  

    With my second, I went in about 9 am and the pitocin was started around noon.  I started at 2 cm.  I didn't get an epidural until around 7:30 that evening and the baby was born at 10:47 at night.  The process went much quicker with my second child which is to be expected.  Though the epidural hardly worked, the contractions were very painful but bearable.  Once she was out, there was literally no more pain even though I was still receiving pitocin through an IV.  

    I wasn't thrilled about being induced but both times went really well.  With the first, I let the doctors know that I didn't want to rush the process.  I was able to hold off on both breaking my water and starting pitocin for awhile because I wanted to give my body time to start contracting on its own.  I knew that once the water was broken, we were on borrowed time and I didn't want a c-section.  

    Good luck.  I hope you have as pleasant an experience as I did. 

    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • I was induced with DD the day before my due date because of low amniotic fluid.  I was admitted into the hospital at noon.  They inserted Cervadil at 1:30 p.m.  Although not common that triggered contractions.  At 11:46 that night I gave birth to my sweet daughter.  I never ended up needing any Pitocin.
  • Thank you everyone for you positive induction experiences - this helps to ease my mind a lot!!!

    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My induction went very well. It was very long, two days, but it was only very painful for the last 8 or 9 hours.

    They started me with cervidil, slept there overnight with that in, in the morning they found I had dilated to 2 1/2, they broke my water to see if that would get me going, it didn't, in the afternoon they started pitocin, I got an epidural around 11 pm, slept for a while, woke up around 4 am in transition, she was born at 10:22 am. Since mine was with midwives they let me eat whatever I wanted up until I got the epidural, let me walk around with the telemetic monitoring unit, let me chill out in the labor tub, everything I wanted.

  • I was induced with my 2nd and I was 3-4 cm and 80% effaced the day before so I didn't have to go in the night before for cervadil or anything. I just showed up at the hospital at 8:30am, they started pitocin then, broke my water at 10:30 am and my daughter was born at 2pm. It was very quick and as easy as labor/delivery could be. I had no tears, no stalling in my labor, etc. It all depends on how favorable your body is for labor.. good luck!
    Mommy of 3! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have 3 children. 2 elective inductions at 40 weeks and 39 weeks) and 1 going into labor on my own (at 39 weeks). I was at 2cm all 3 times. My inductions were easier and shorter. They broke my water both times... One time I had pitocin, the other time I did not. The pitocin definately kicks your labor into high gear and makes the contractions horrible, but having experienced "non pitocin" contractions, too they are just as painful but don't come on as quickly.  No more kiddos for me, but if we were to have another I would not hesitate being induced.  Here's the rundown:

    DS 1: Induced at 40w - 10 hour labor, 20 minute delivery

    DD: Went into labor on my own at 39w - 12 hour labor, 2 minute delivery

    DS 2: Induced at 39w - 3 hour labor, 20 minute delivery

    With all due respect to other mom's, don't take advice from mom's who have not been induced as they have no personal experience with it.

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was induced with my first and it went extremely well. So much so I'm thinking about begging to be induced again...

    I was 2 weeks overdue and LO was not ready to move.  I went in late in the evening on the 26th, don't remember which medication(s) i was given upton admittance, but 12 hours later I was given pitocen, and 12 hours after that (exactly 24 hours after my admittance) I had my LO in my arms! 

    No complications.  I heard horror stories, was TERRIFIED of having to have a c section and my labor was everything i couldve hoped for. 

  • I've been induced at 37-38 weeks for 4 out of 5 of my kids (#4 came on her own 3 days before induction date).  They all went well, no pain meds for any of them, and my longest labor was 6 hours (my first).  I was at least 1cm dilated with each and didn't need cervidil (just pitocin).  The hardest thing to do is take a deep breath and relax when the contractions are coming, I also spent most of my labor sitting up let gravity help things along.  GL and I don't let the Dr psych you out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Induction at 38 weeks. Almost 2cm when I went in (sent straight from Dr. to hospital for failing NST).  Pitocin started at 6pm.  Upped a little every 30 minutes to an hour. They broke my water around midnight. Labored until 4:30am with no drugs until I reached 7cm.  Had the epidural placed at 5am.  Reached 10cm at 6am.  Pushed 3 times (well, 3 sets of 3 pushes), and my daughter was born at 6:23am.  Was in the shower at 8am.  1 small tear, never felt a thing, and was walking an hour later.  Couldn't have asked for a better delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards