January 2013 Moms

Traveling In December for Work

I just found out that I will be traveling in December (5-7) for work. I assumed I wouldnt be going this year due to the pregnancy. I will be just under 36 weeks at that time. Anyone else traveling for work late in pregnancy?

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Traveling In December for Work

• Not that late but DH had to remind me that we won't be taking our yearly trip to Louisville (we live in Michigan) during the holidays. I wanted to argue with him and tell him it would be ok but I realize it isn't worth the risk of going into labor. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was supposed to travel oversees in November but wasn't comfortable doing so I spoke to my boss and someone else will be going in my place
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Has your dr cleared that you can fly that late?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope, my travel is strictly cut off at the end of this month. (due 1/1 - twins) so unfortunately we won't be able to attend my good friends wedding Oct 6 nor will we be traveling anywhere for the holidays (we ususally go to VA and KY). So we'll finally get to do the holidays here in FL. My family will be coming down for thanksgiving (which is my birthday) and then the babies will be here for Christmas, so no travel then.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was told my cut off for travel is 3234 weeks by plane.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • About 75% of my job is traveling, sometimes every week.  My dr is cutting me off for business flights at 28 weeks and leisure flights at 32 weeks which means no holiday in VA with my family this year.  I do have a family history of blood clots (and personal history of superficial blood clots) so she may be more cautious because of this. 

I would definitely make sure your dr is okay with a trip that late.  I'm a FTM and probably overly paranoid, but I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling that late.  I'm a bit stressed from a work perspective that she is cutting me off at 28 weeks, but I guess better safe than sorry.

BFP #1 4/6/12 CP 4/10/12 @5 wks

BFP #2 5/6/12 EDD 1/16/13  DD born on her EDD 1/16/13

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #3 1/26/14 EDD 10/9/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsodonnell12:

I just found out that I will be traveling in December (5-7) for work. I assumed I wouldnt be going this year due to the pregnancy. I will be just under 36 weeks at that time. Anyone else traveling for work late in pregnancy?

How far do you have to go, is it by plane?

I will not be traveling more than an hour and a half from the hospital at that point in the pregnancy.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes- as long as things stay the same (healthy) I am cleared to fly. I was overdue with DS, so I am not really worried, but of course part of me is! At least its only 3 days, 2 nights.....

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We were going to head to Ohio from TN for Christmas but instead my grandparents are coming down here to stay with us. My grandma is a surgical nurse and got mad when I told her I was coming up saying there was no way she was letting me do that. Haha I'm not due until the end of January so I wasn't all that worried.
  • imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

I will not be traveling more than an hour and a half from the hospital at that point in the pregnancy.  

MN to FL... yes by plane.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No traveling for me... And DH has been told no business trips after the first week of December! (When he travels it's overseas so there is good reason for this restriction... I don't want to go into labor while he's somewhere in Japan or China!)
  • imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your doctor and the airline are both going to say hell no to that. Your going to be 35 weeks pg by that point. 

• imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your doctor and the airline are both going to say hell no to that. Your going to be 35 weeks pg by that point. 

Delta doesnt have an restrictions for pregnant women and my midwife already said as long as I am still low risk that she is fine with it if I am. I already told my boss that he needs to be ok with me changing my mind when we get closer to December. It is hard to decide right now.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

Delta doesnt have an restrictions for pregnant women and my midwife already said as long as I am still low risk that she is fine with it if I am. I already told my boss that he needs to be ok with me changing my mind when we get closer to December. It is hard to decide right now.

I wouldn't feel good about going. Problems can pop up fast and out of the blue in late pregnancy, and I would want to risk going into to labor out of town, or god forbid on a plane. I know I would be uncomfortable, and my ankles and feet are sure to be swollen after a day of traveling. It's definitely not for me.

• imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

I wouldn't feel good about going. Problems can pop up fast and out of the blue in late pregnancy, and I would want to risk going into to labor out of town, or god forbid on a plane. I know I would be uncomfortable, and my ankles and feet are sure to be swollen after a day of traveling. It's definitely not for me.

Yeah- my boss told me if I decide the week of that I cant go that he will totally understand- I am SO lucky to have such an understanding boss!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dr. said nothing after 36 weeks for me. If you feel comfortable and your care provider and the airline have no restrictions, I'd say go for it. It's good you're being honest with your boss that you may need to change your mind. So long as their flexible, should be good =)
  • imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

Yeah- my boss told me if I decide the week of that I cant go that he will totally understand- I am SO lucky to have such an understanding boss!

That is really nice your boss will accommodate a last minute change. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable traveling that late...we are not even driving the 2 hours to DH's extended family Christmas because I just don't want to be away from home. Disclaimer...FTM here, so I may just be extra cautious! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagebearkatjen:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

Well at least you have an out if you decide you're not comfortable with it. It would make me nervous... I know it's unlikely but I know too many people who had babies a full month early for no reason (low risk, otherwise healthy).  The thought of being that far from home freaks me out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am traveling for 5 days/4 nights in October, around 25-27 weeks for me depending on when exactly we end up going... beyond that I'm going to try to avoid any more travel.
    imageimageimage
    26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • My Dr. said anything before week 37 is fine. I'm flying to my shower at the end of Oct (TN to CA). We may be going to Iowa for Thanksgiving, but definitely staying here for Christmas.

BabyFruit Ticker

• The cut off point for my Dr. is 34 weeks. I am going to be 33 1/2 during thanksgiving, so we are staying home. Normally we go to MD (we live in FL). My last flight will be 9/14/12 - 9/17/12.

I do have my sisters bachelorette party in October, its driving distance (Key West) but I'll be just about 28 weeks. oye.

We are so excited to meet our baby! BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I will be flying at about the same time period for short 1-2 day trips. If you have a healthy normal pregnancy there is really no reason not to go, with the exception of understanding you could go into labor in whatever location you are at. (the chances of actually going into labor and delivering on the plane are sooooo tiny) The biggest risk for me is that it could mean DH doesn't make it in time... which we have talked about and because these interviews are required for me at this point in my life (graduating from medical school) I really have no other option. 

Just make sure you get a pair of compression socks (i have a pair by Pintoli that are great) and as always take extra-special care of yourself on the trip.  

as a side note: I did have a patient that traveled at 37 weeks and ended up bleeding from an undiagnosed placenta previa (even though she had previously had an ultrasound that didn't mention it) and she wound up with a c-section in a distant town without a car seat or anything for the baby with her. So it does happen :/  

• My cousin travelled late in her pregnancy... I think she was about 32-34 weeks or so.  But it wasn't for work, it was for our family trip south.  Her doc told her it was ok because the flight was only 4 hours.
  • Thanks ladies :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well, it's Florida - if you went into early labor and delivered in Florida it wouldn't be the worst thing. Not liking you're flying to/across a developing country.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"