Two Under 2

Breastfeeding

Anyone have breastfeeding advice/stories from baby #2?

I really want to breastfeed, but with a 19 month old in the house, I don't know how I'll ever find the time :/

Re: Breastfeeding

• My DS had just turned 18 months when DD arrived. If you can get through the first couple of months when the baby feeds constantly then you have it made. I just made sure I was in a confined space when feeding so that DS didn't have much to get into. So, most of the time I would just sit in the playroom and feed while he played, or we had snuggle time on the couch and I would feed while he watched cartoons.
    It worked, and it's so much easier now that she is older. She doesn't eat as often and she only takes 510 minutes per session to eat. I hope this helps a little. It just takes a little more planning and patience. You can do it! :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry... Suppose to say 5 to 10 minutes per session.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe a little different than what you are looking for in replies.. I started out at the hospital BF but once we got home I switched to pumping every 3 hours. For me, it just works better. I haven't had a big issue with being able to do it, using a double electric pump gets the job done pretty quickly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • imagemorgs8384:
    Maybe a little different than what you are looking for in replies.. I started out at the hospital BF but once we got home I switched to pumping every 3 hours. For me, it just works better. I haven't had a big issue with being able to do it, using a double electric pump gets the job done pretty quickly.

I tried pumping for a while with my son, and it seemed like we had better luck with breastfeeding than we did with pumping. 

• My middle son was 18 months when my youngest was born, for us bfing has been no problem. I think bottle feeding would be harder, having to take the time to make and wash bottles. With bfing it's all right there and no cleaning required. :
    Honestly the first few weeks we all watched more Elmo on Netflix than I would normaly allow but we got though and now four months in my middle son plays so nicely with his toys and my youngest eats much faster it's no big deal. I was stressed about it too but now it's just every day life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I recommend getting a good nursing cover.  I found that I nursed in public so much more with my second.  I had to keep my older son entertained, so if someone asked for a play date, we all went.  I nursed everywhere--the zoo, aquarium, book stores, etc.

If we were home, we'd do the same as the above posters---turn on a tv show or play an educational game on the iphone.  BFing really was a breeze (I hate cleaning bottles and pump parts!).  

It did get a little tougher when the baby got more alert and was distracted by the tv or the older one playing nearby.  When that started happening, I'd just go up to the baby's room and feed him there and have the older one set up with toys or a show.  

My oldest is 3 years older than my second, so I think this time around (new baby will be 18 months younger than second), I may have to utilize the pak'n'play as a play area for the second, if I need to go in a separate room.   

• imagemummyofsix:
    I breastfed. Its easier than bottle feeding. 

This, I guess I kind of don't understand how it would be easier to FF?  You still need to take time to feed your child, weather it's with your breast, or a bottle.  To me it's easier to not have to prep/wash out bottles, buy formula, hold the bottle etc.  With BFing you let them latch on, and still have a free hand to entertain the older one!

This is NOT a formula is horrible post, so please people, don't start, it's just that (it's my opinion) that it isn't any harder to BF than FF when you have an older child.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"