Attachment Parenting

Ergo cutting off circulation in baby's legs

Hi ladies,

I'm wondering if this has happened to anybody else.  I had DD in the Ergo on the beach yesterday and my dad noticed that her feet were turning purple.  DD had fallen asleep in it so I just sat in my beach chair reclined and unclipped it and her feet immediately started looking better.  I use the Ergo quite a bit and I don't know if this has happened before and I just never noticed it or if she just wasn't sitting right in it this time.  I feel like a terrible mom.  :-(  I have the Ergo sport.  Any suggestions/recommendations?  Did I not put her in there correctly?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ergo cutting off circulation in baby's legs

• Forgot to mention that I wear her in the front carry position and she is 5 months and weighs 15lbs.
  • Are you wearing her legs out or in?  If legs out, she's probably just a tad small to straddle it well.  If legs in, she's probably got her weight on her feet instead of her bum which can cause problems.

If you are wearing her legs out, you can try putting a little blanket rolled up under her bum - that will set her just a bit higher in the carrier so that the carrier isn't forcing her legs to spread wider than they should.  One of the downsides to a structured waist carrier is that it is too wide for many babies to be legs out until they are bigger and you can really scrunch it in like an unpadded waist carrier or wrap.  The blanket should do the trick though...unless it makes her sit too far out of the carrier (depending on how tall her torso is).

• Loading the player...
  • imagencbelle:

Are you wearing her legs out or in?  If legs out, she's probably just a tad small to straddle it well.  If legs in, she's probably got her weight on her feet instead of her bum which can cause problems.

If you are wearing her legs out, you can try putting a little blanket rolled up under her bum - that will set her just a bit higher in the carrier so that the carrier isn't forcing her legs to spread wider than they should.  One of the downsides to a structured waist carrier is that it is too wide for many babies to be legs out until they are bigger and you can really scrunch it in like an unpadded waist carrier or wrap.  The blanket should do the trick though...unless it makes her sit too far out of the carrier (depending on how tall her torso is).

Thanks for your help! Yeah, her legs are out. (I didn't know you could do legs in in an Ergo.) I will try the blanket trick. I also have an Infantino mei tai. Maybe that is a better option for wearing her right now until she gets a little bigger for the Ergo.
  • I realized after posting that that she was probably legs out given that she's 5 months (you have to do legs in for a newborn).  A mei tai is nice because it has more give at the base - it should fit her well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"