Babies: 9 - 12 Months

XP: Do you have a video monitor?

When I was pregnant, I thought a video monitor was unnecessary and only people that had to "have it all" bought one. So we bought the standard noise-only monitor...I am regretting that now, because now that we're letting our little guy fuss himself to sleep more, I can see where that'd come in handy. And on several times in the middle of the night he'll be whining and I'll go pick him up only to realize he was doing it in his sleep-except now he's awake thanks to me. Or he'll be napping and I'll go to check on him, but the floor and door creaks and if he is half awake, he'll pop up at the sound. So we decided to make the investment and get one. So if you have a video monitor, what one do you have? Likes/dislikes?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: XP: Do you have a video monitor?

• We have never had a video monitor, nor do we intend to get one.  I adjusted the sensitivity settings on the audio monitor so that it only blares if he has screamed a couple of times, which eliminated me waking for a sleep fuss.  If he's awake and upset, I wake up and go in.  His monitor has a very dim nightlight that sheds just enough light to make out his shape in the crib, so I don't have to pick him up to see what he's doing in there.  We also oiled the hinges on his nursery door so it would stop creaking when I went in to check on him.  These are all cheaper than buying a new monitor and may be worth a shot if you are not 100% convinced that the solution is more technology.
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  • Love our video monitor... Summer infant touch...I've heard good things about Motorola as well
    image< br >

• It is one of my 'must haves' for both my kids.  I still have one in ds's room because we just switched him from a crib to a toddler bed, so I really like to check on him.  He also rarely naps at nap time now, so it's great to see what he's doing and if he's asleep or not.

So we have 2, and both were on the cheap side (under $100).  I even take them with me when I travel with the kids.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the Motorola video monitor. I'm not the mom who "had to have it all".

I LOVE my monitor and would never trade it in for an audio only. When I hear DS, I can look in to see if I have to go into his room without actually going into his room.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image purpleXdandelion:
    When I was pregnant, I thought a video monitor was unnecessary and only people that had to "have it all" bought one. So we bought the standard noise-only monitor...I am regretting that now, because now that we're letting our little guy fuss himself to sleep more, I can see where that'd come in handy. And on several times in the middle of the night he'll be whining and I'll go pick him up only to realize he was doing it in his sleep-except now he's awake thanks to me. Or he'll be napping and I'll go to check on him, but the floor and door creaks and if he is half awake, he'll pop up at the sound. So we decided to make the investment and get one. So if you have a video monitor, what one do you have? Likes/dislikes?

This is the biggest reason why I love my video monitor, because I have the same problem. The monitor eliminates it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Yes, we have the Summer Infant monitor and I really like it.  I also had an audio-only monitor and think the video one has has better sound quality.  And I like being able to see what she's doing in there.  When she was still getting swaddled, it was nice to see if she broke out of it so I could go in, or if she was just fussing.  Now if she's crying and laying her head down, I usually leave her, but then go in when I see her lifting her head up or rolling around.  And then of course it's so fun to be able to watch what she's doing, especially when she gets a little older!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Thanks ladies! I am trying to decide between the Motorola one or an Infant Optics one, which is the first to pop up when you do a "baby video monitor" search. The Infant Optics is only $100, but the majority of the reviews says it's good. Decisions, decisions!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I was the same way!  We actually just got a video monitor like 2 weeks ago for the same reasons (mostly curiosity-- is he asleep in there?  what's that noise?  etc)  I didn't want to pay full price so late in the game so I got one from Craigslist and got a Summer brand that's 3 years old.  It works fine, but I'm not sure if it's the age, but the lowest volume setting is super loud and staticky-sounding so we use it on mute and still use our sound-only monitor.  It's been neat to have b/c I can tell when he's up for good or if he's just in there rolling around.  It's also been bad to have on nights when I put him down and it's all quiet and then we see on the screen he is in there standing up.  It makes you worry more b/c in the past I would have thought he was asleep and now I see he's not!  Also, hearing him cry going to bed  is hard, but if you can see him in there crying it's harder!  MH and I both said we kind of wish we had never bought a video monitor!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have the summer and the Motorola monitors, one for each kid. I can see my little guy breathing on the Motorola, and you can turn on music or talk to comfort your little one from the portable monitor. LOVE my monitors!!! They have saved me hours of putting babies back to sleep by letting me silently see that they were still asleep or almost asleep!
  • I think video monitors are a joke. Poke your head in if you feel worried. Monitors are good for heavy sleepers like me. But video monitors are getting a little ridiculous : might as well have laser censors or panic/baby room..
  • No, we have a cheap standard voice monitor that works like a charm.  I think the video monitors provide too much information to the parents... knowing you can constantly see if they are okay makes you worry and you can develop a habit of checking on them all the time- which can disrupt your sleep just as much as baby sometimes.  If my 4-month old rolls over in her crib, she'll cry if she gets frustrated. If she's not frustrated, then she'll sleep.  No need for me to see her like that and rush in to help her roll back to her back.  All of us on here were raised without the use of video monitors and we all turned out just fine :)
  • I don't have one yet, since DS is still sleeping with me, but once he moves, I definitely plan to get one.With video, I can see if he is fussing and waking up, or fussing in his sleep.  Plus, we have cats, and with video I can see if they have somehow snuck their way into his bedroom, which they aren't allowed in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards