Breastfeeding

It's the final Tata Tuesday! Ask a lactation consultant your breastfeeding questions

Hi Bumpies,

In honor of Breastfeeding Awareness Month, every Tuesday in August we will have a lactation consultant on hand to answer all of your breastfeeding questions! Today is the last Tata Tuesday!

Today's expert is Gina Ciagne. Gina's username on The Bump is Gina Ciagne CLC Lansinoh and she will be on duty from 1-3 p.m. EST. Just post to this thread and include "LC" at the start of your post so she'll know which ones to check and answer.

Also, anyone who participates in the live chat will automatically be entered to win one of the pillows from Boppy! (You do not need to reveal any personal information in your post; just reply to this thread and we will contact the winner via the email you use to login to the site.)

For more information about Gina and her services and to learn more about the other lactation consultants participating in Tata Tuesday, click here.

Want to participate but not a member of our community yet? Make an account here to get started! Read the official giveaway rules.

Re: It's the final Tata Tuesday! Ask a lactation consultant your breastfeeding questions

• LC

I have been waiting to join in on this!!

Two questions:

1-I caved in and finally gave LO a binky today (she is exactly one month). Some of the sources I read said to wait until 4 weeks, some said 6 weeks. I am ebf'ing and so far we are doing well, although her latch is a little bit off (she doesn't quite make the fish lips every time so initially there is some pain, then it subsides after about 30 seconds).

My question is, am I going to screw anything up since her latch isn't perfect? Should I not give her the binky again until she starts doing the fish lips when she latches and the initial pain is completely gone?

2-Sometimes when she is latched on, she will start pulling away from me, with my nipple still in her mouth. Is this because there is no more milk and I need to switch sides, or is this just something babies do? She has been doing this since about three weeks, and only a few times a day.

Thanks in advance!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
  •  LC

I have been exclusively BF since birth. She only eats from one breast at each feeding. I wanted to start pumping to create a stock pile and for emergencies. I started out pumping the same breast she ate from right after. I only get about 1 oz. I'm having a hard time with being consistent with the pumpings but what can I do to get more out of pumping so i can build up my stock faster? Or how would I go by incorporating my other breast with out taking away from her feelings? Thanks!

• LC

I am 26 weeks pregnanct and wanted to know if there was anything I can do before baby girl is born to prepare for BF

• LC

Can you tell me when I can introduce a bottle with breast milk for baby 1 or 2 x's a day?  

I'd like my husband to take over some of the night time feedings, but I am worried about nipple confusion.

I read one place 3 weeks and another 6 weeks.  What is your recommendation?

I will need her to go back and forth from breast to bottle by week 12 any how when my mother starts to care for her.

Thanks for your help!

FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • LC: I have been EBF my 8 month, with the exception of starting solids at 6 months. She  has been doing a great job, and I have a small supply built up in the freezer, but she has now started prefering one side over the other.  She prefers to nurse on the right side instead of the left.  I have been pumping on the left side, and was getting a decent amount, but now I'm lucky if I get 1oz out in an entire day!  I don't know what to do to increase and fix this problem!! 

HELP!!

•           LC 

I have a ?  

I have been BF my little man since birth and when he turned 4 months I noticed my milk supply was depleting. I also started my period at that time. What can I do to bring it back up? I have also started in him solids but that wasn't until 6 moths and he will be 7 months on the first. 

Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.   

Thank you,

Ileana

• LC:
    I finally corrected my oversupply issues which has made DS much happier since he has less gas but am now entering new territory. Before I never was close to having my breast empty or would even think of feeding off both sides. So my question is how do you know your breast is "empty" and that is okay to switch sides? Do I wait for him to unlatch, burp, then offer other side or do I offer same side again? Seems silly but I've not had to do that in our 9.5 weeks together.

• LC

My LO was just diagnosed with MSPI and I have been on a dairy and soy elimination diet for 1 week now.   How long does it take diary/soy proteins to be cleared from my breast milk?  Is it OK to start saving my milk again so that I can build up my freezer stash?

Thanks!!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • LC

How can I tell if I'm giving my son enough? I exclusively breastfeed and he is 3 weeks old. He still acts hungry after each feeding (at least 10 min each breast) so should I start supplementing with formula? 

• Hi mom?s and mom?s-to-be, Happy Breastfeeding Awareness Month!  Thanks so much for joining me for today?s Tata Tuesday chat.  I am here to answer any of your questions so ask away! Gina, CLC

Gina Ciagne, Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC), Senior Director of Professional Relations, Lansinoh Laboratories @LansinohUSA @GinaAtLansinoh www.oncloudmom.com, #bfchat
  • My daughter is 6 months old. I have been EBF until recent. I used to get 34 oz per pumping session but lately I can only get about 1 oz while pumping. I was wondering if this is normal or has my supply gone down since solids? Can I do anything to get more out?
  • Any tips or suggestions for extremely sore and chapped nipples? My daughter is a week old now and most feelings still bring a tear to my eyes because when she is latching its so painful. I have the cold gel inserts and lanolin ointment...tried cold compress before feeding or hot shower and still not taking the edge off.
    Also, she is eating about every two to three hours and I rotate which breast she feeds from. Then I try pumping the other and barely get just over an ounce. Not enough to do anything with. Any suggestions? I'm stressed out and almost ready to throw the towel in :
  • Hello all,

I am a working mother of an almost 13 month old breastfed baby girl.  I added solids at around 6.5 months, and added whole milk at 12 months.  I decided I was tired of pumping at 12 months which is why whole milk was introduced for daycare, but she still nurses in the morning and atleast twice in the evening.  I was still pumping around 5 ounces per session 1-2 times in the morning before I decided to stop.  By the afternoon I'm pretty full, and she never really empties both sides anymore which is why I try to nurse her 2-3 times in the evening.  I was told that my supply should adjust, but will the lack of complete emptying affect my supply?  I would like to continue to nurse for as long as possible, atleast until she no longer has interest.  She also has 4 teeth now Indifferent which keeps me a little on edge.  Is there a way to help her relax her gums so I don't feel the 'grazing'?  Also, I never really wanted to introduce cow's milk, so is almond or coconut milk an option as long as she is still nursing?

Thank you!!

• LC

Hi--my baby is 3 weeks old and at night can nurse for hours.  I have had several people try to tell me that it is just the night time fussys.  I don't think it is.  She will eat for 8 hours and still be screaming and hungry and will take a bottle of formula.  Am I just not making enough milk for her?  I just don't understand--I am leaking ALL THE TIME.  I will fill up disposable pads in hours--I tried using cloths but I go through them faster than I can wash them.  LO has a good latch and always has. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • katiem1025

It is best to avoid pacifier use until breastfeeding is firmly established so as not to cause nipple preference or binky preference in this case. the way she sucks on a pacifier is different than how she nurses. Have you seen an LC in person to assess the baby's latch? You can find an lc in your area on ilca.org which is teh lactation consultants association website.

For question 2 it is normal that when baby is latched on and milk starts to flow less freely for baby to pull away. i would gently unlatch with a clean pinky and then burp her and offer her the other side. If she does not seem interested then it is her cue to you she is done!

good luck!

Gina Ciagne, Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC), Senior Director of Professional Relations, Lansinoh Laboratories @LansinohUSA @GinaAtLansinoh www.oncloudmom.com, #bfchat
  • LC

My daughter takes about 10 minutes to finish a bottle. She takes an average of 4-10 minutes to nurse (total from both breasts.) Is it normal to eat slower from the bottle than the breast?

Anniversary
  • LC I have a question...My little man is almost 7 months and I have been EBF except the introduction of his fruits and veggies at 6 months (he now eats 2 stage 2 jars at each feeding). I had concerns of not producing enough milk on my own since about 4 months when he had only gained 1/2 lb between his 2 month and 4 month appt. He never acted hungry after BF during that time but lately at night he wakes up crying and when I offer my breast to him he will latch on to it for a minute then pop off and cry, he will continue to latch on and pop off for a few minutes at each breasts. It makes me feel as if he is hungry and not getting any milk. Does this seem like a sign of low milk production?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • mylyroberson

My babies also ate from one side when nursing to but what I did to stimulate the other side was pump on the other side at the same time (if you have a double pump that can convert to a single pump like the Lansinoh Affinity Breast Pump, you can plug the other side to make it a single) and/or you can also double pump after. I would stimulate both breasts as often as you can to build up your supply.

baby is generally better at extracting milk than a pump so nursing on demand will help boost your supply as well. 
    Gently massage your breasts before and during nursing and pumping as that has been shown to increase milk let-down and input as well. You can also pump when she is sleeping or in between feedings and your body will respond to that stimulation with an increase in supply it is making. Good luck!!

• Hi Gina, 

My daughter is almost 7 1/2 months old. I have been nursing her from day 1 and was super successful. Over the last 2 weeks I have noticed that when I pump at work, I'm getting 1/2 of what I used to. And then yesterday I only pumped 2 oz from each. Over the weekend I noticed that during the day my daughter wanted nothing to do with nursing and started to cry. But easily took a bottle from my husband. Though she nurses fine in the mornings.

These are all signs to me that she might be ready to wean.

So with my low pumping, and her reduced interest level, I decided to start weaning her... but I'm nervous! This is my first baby, so this is all new to me... I dont' want to make any quick moves and upset her... and I don't want to upset me... my emotions are tied into this too! ;)

She is a beautiful, happy and healthy baby-- at 7.5 months, she's 20 lbs and 27.5 inches! She loves all the fruits and veggies that we've tried. She has 2 bottles a day at daycare.  

Do you have any tips that will make this easier on mommy and baby? Also, I normally pump at work during the day.. should I slowly stop? I'm only getting a little anyways. Will I get engorged, or because my supply went down, should I be okay to go the whole work day without pumping?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Melissa  

• LC, I have been ebf my DS for 3 months now, my questions are:

1. My DS only feed from 1 breast most of the time for about 10-20 minutes. Sometimes I don't even feel that my breast is empty yet. But since he stop sucking and refuse to take the breast anymore, or he even gag at times, I assumed he's done. I offered the other breast a couple of times but he refused. He has soiled diap a couple times a day. Is he getting enought milk by feeding only from 1 breast for couple of min???? What should I do, so that I can maintain my supply, I am planning to breast feed for at least 1 yrs - 2 if possible???

2. When DS has start on solid (6 mo) how many times should I breastfeed him in a day??? how many oz should I give him in a day if I decide to pump????

thank you.

• Great job asking questions to get prepared. Knowledge is power so reading up, taking a breastfeeding class before you deliver and having an lc contact is great prep. Know that your body was designed to make milk and having the confidence and commitment that you can do this is a huge first step. dont be afraid to ask questions--even a small, seemingly simple question is important because simple can turn complex and could often be avoided or remedied quickly but you have to reach out for help sometimes! We have alot of information at Lansinoh.com about what to expect, what to have in your labor bag, and other great info. you can also always reach us by putting #bfchat in a tweet and we will respond! We also have other CLCs on staff so there are people available for you! Best of luck!

image Mrs Girl:

LC

I am 26 weeks pregnanct and wanted to know if there was anything I can do before baby girl is born to prepare for BF

• LC
    I successfully bf two kids for well over a year 9 and 6 years ago. My now almost 4 month old son is exclusively breast fed too. He has never had a bottle. I think he hates breastfeeding. At first I had oversupply and forceful letdown. He also has reflux he takes Zantac for.

I no longer have oversupply and he don't cough and choke while eating anymore. The Zantac had worked miracles BUT he still just nurses for a few minutes at a time, one boob at a time and is very fidgety the whole time.

Os there another issue I am missing? No ties, awesome latch since birth. I wont give up, never ever used formula or bottles with any of my kids. Can he just HATE it?

Crystal
  • It is best to wait until at least 4-6 weeks until introducing an artificial nipple because of possible nipple preference or confusion. Your body needs the stimulation of the baby to give the signals to make and let down the milk and if the body is not getting as much stimulation that signals to make less milk. If and when someone else feeds baby, it is important that you continue to stimulate so you can either hand express or use a pump becuase you need to tell your body that it needs to continue to make milk. If you skip a feeding your body does not get the stimulation. Dont wait too long before introducing the bottle if you are going back to work but if you do it between 4 and 6 weeks it should be ok. Aim to get a nipple that is researched for breastfed babies specifically--we have the Lansinoh NaturalWave Nipple that has been researched and made specifically for breastfed babies as it allows baby to engage in the same natural sucking motions as when breastfeeding. Nothing can replicate at the breast feeding. But if you have to be apart, you dont want baby to have to relearn sucking and to prefer the artificial nipple over you.  I would also advise that someone else feed baby with the bottle and baby equates you with the breast.  Best wishes!!!  

image ShantiOm:

LC

Can you tell me when I can introduce a bottle with breast milk for baby 1 or 2 x's a day?  

I'd like my husband to take over some of the night time feedings, but I am worried about nipple confusion.

I read one place 3 weeks and another 6 weeks.  What is your recommendation?

I will need her to go back and forth from breast to bottle by week 12 any how when my mother starts to care for her.

Thanks for your help!

• LC

A week ago I went to my pediatrician for our 4 month checkup. At that time my son hadn't really gained any weight. At 2 months he was 10 lbs 1 oz and at four he was 10 lbs 15 oz.  He eats every 2 - 2.5 hours. Recently he's been crying and getting frustrated before he finishes the breast. However after I burp him he's happy. The Dr. didn't seem overly concerned because he's reaching a lot of his milestones ahead of time and is making enough wet and dirty diapers, but is baffled as to why he's not gaining much weight. He suggested that my breast milk might not have enough calories for him. Could this be the case? If so, what should I do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • LC

I was instructed by DS dr to supplement while I waited until my milk came in. He was a 9lb baby at birth and had slightly elevated bilirubin.y milk has come in however it seems not to be enough and I'm still having to supplement. I pump after feeldings and
    Can get an extra 2oz.

1 How can i slowly wean off the supplement? DS only does about 15 mins ea side then knocks out only to get up 15ins later screaming for more. By then it seems I'm all dried out so I offer the supplement.

2 Im using nipple shields since he hasn't gotten the latch down correctly and has tore my nipples to peices. How long should I continue to use them? Do they interfere with proper latching?
  • Your period can be affecting your supply but if you are nursing on demand, you can build your supply back up. Offer the breast first and then solids as the solids are really more practice than the bulk of the nutrition he needs at this point in time which is by breastmilk. Be aware also that birth control pills, allergy medications, and other things like stress and a lack of rest can also affect supply. Adding pumping into your routine like after you nurse, while baby is sleeping can also help.

image Kidmuscle:

LC 

I have a ?  

I have been BF my little man since birth and when he turned 4 months I noticed my milk supply was depleting. I also started my period at that time. What can I do to bring it back up? I have also started in him solids but that wasn't until 6 moths and he will be 7 months on the first. 

Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.   

Thank you,

Ileana

• LC

Thank you so much for your help!

Will pumping in shorter multiple sessions help product more than longer sessions? Should I wait to start over after her growth spurt that she is having?

• I am 6 months pregnant and would like to know if there is anything that I can start to do now to prepare my body/breasts for breastfeeding? Also, what are the most importnant things to know about breastfeeding successfully? Thank you! Jessica A
  • schon04,

I wanted to reply to your post because I can remember crying while nursing from the pain and wanting to give up.   Being literally one feeding away from throwing in the towel, I'd get in contact with a LC right before they closed for the day.  I wasn't latching her on properly, and once I was able to properly 'ram' her on, there was no more pain.  I was able to heal and nurse without any further problems, and continued applying a little lanolin or mother love afterwards to sooth and protect.  I'd get comfortable and not latch her on properly which resulted in painful nipple blebs, but once I'd get it together (again) there was no more pain, AT ALL!!!  You can do it, just get a latch check and relax.

Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards