Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How do you clean LO's bottles?

I seem to be a little anal with how clean DD's bottles are - I won't let anyone but myself wash them!  Up until now, shes only had BM in a bottle and they seem like they take a lot of scrubbing with a tiny brush and bottle brush to get perfectly clean (I use babyganics detergent).  I feel like there has to be an easier way to clean them, but I could be wrong.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks as I am beginning to wean from BF and there will be a lot more bottle cleaning in the next 6 months :)

BFP#1: 6.21.11 - DD born 3.6.12
BFP#2: 10.27.13 - Chemical Pregnancy
BFP#3: 5.27.14 - EDD 2.6.15 - MMC diagnosed at 8w3d - D&C 7.7.14
BFP#4: 1.9.15 - EDD 9.21.15 -  Praying for a sticky bean!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How do you clean LO's bottles?

• I love this cleaning brush set: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Straw-Sippy-Cleaning-Aqua/dp/B004QZBEBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345941207&sr=8-1&keywords=sippy+cup+cleaning+set

It is also awesome on sippy cups!  I love it for the nipples, since the bent part is gentler on the opening.  I am also super anal about cleaning the bottles myself!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also have bm bottles. The first thing I do with an empty bottle is rinse it and put it and all the pieces in a tub of soapy water I keep on the counter. That keeps the milk from getting crusty in the corners and edges. Then when it's time to clean, the bottle brush I use is just a basic cheap one. I have also used a washcloth,but my bottles open at the top and bottom, so it's super easy to clean.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I soak the bottles in hot soapy water for about 15 minutes and then clean with the bottle brush. I just place the parts on the drying rack to dry. I stopped sterilizing the bottles at right around 8 weeks. 

ETA: We formula feed. Not sure if the makes a difference.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • My best advice (BF or FF, we've done both) is to rinse the bottle immediately after a feed with warm/hot water. It makes cleaning *so* much easier later. When I wash them all, I fill a sink with hot soapy water and use a basic bottle brush.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I put them in the top rack of the dishwasher. I only use a brush if it looks like something got missed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My dishwasher does a great job. 
  • Dishwasher.

I've actually read that you can't completely sanitize things by hand washing b/c your hands can't stand how hot the water needs to be to sanitize them. Obviously not a problem with a dishwasher, and I've never noticed any missed spots or anything.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I rinse with hot water. Then, when washing, I use the hottest water I can stand (borderline scalding) and wash with Palmolive baby dish soap. I also have the Munchkin bottle brush I believe. I would use the dish washer but mine never rinses well enough for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"