June 2012 Moms

is your LO an early springer?

benjamin was born 2 weeks late but around 1 week after he was born my nephew was making funny noises across the room and out of no wher my lo started giggling... then from 2 weeks on whenever he starts to cry it sounds like he is screaming mama and i have had several comments on that...from 1 month he has been able to stand up with just holding my fingers and since 2.5 months he has been trying to copy me when i say i love you by saying i ouh uuu to me with a big grin on his face like saying to me i bet you didnt expect that did you? is it normal for a baby to progress this fast or is it souly my kid?

Re: is your LO an early springer?

• image Sawyerplus1:

I know, right?

OP, have you ever heard someone say that every parent lies at least five times a day? Sometimes those lies can be to ourselves...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I of course have never met your child, so I can't say anything for certain.

I suspect, though, that your son is learning pretty quickly, yes, but you're also misinterpreting things a little. DD has learned to say "hi" to us... but I don't think she has any idea what she's doing. It's a sound that's easier for her to make, and she's learned that we get really excited when she makes it. I've also noticed that when she's sitting on my lap and I'm talking to someone, I can sometimes see her out of the corner of my eye watching me very closely, making mouth motions that mimic mine a little. She's not literally talking... she's just copying what I'm doing. Mimicry is not that unusual for babies at this age.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I'm really surprised by the standing up at 2 months Confused As for the "talking", ditto PP, babies make sounds & mimic "words".

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • he was born 2 weeks late so thats why the docs say he is stronger than most babies his age... and its not jus me that notices his saying words, i have been on the bus playing with him and a total stranger with stop me to say that it sounds like he said this or that word, my friends told me that it sounds like it too... i thaught that it was just the way he criedbecause i used to sound like a cow when i would cry but he realy says mama when he cries, and when he is chattering away in his own language and i start talking back to him he will listen and then as soon as i say i love you to him he gets realy excited and tries to sound it out and when he does he says i ouh uu, he can say the i and the you but love he has a problem saying now...
  • I guess 2 mo olds are good at mimicking. LO opens and closes her mouth when she sees me eat or when I talk to her. She tries to mimic my facial expressions. She moves her arm when we say bye, but I think it is still a coincidence.

When she was a few days old, she would cry "mama" when she had a hard time latching on. I think it is a very basic sound and that's how the word mom came about.

Good for you that your baby is developing well!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • image acbfreire:

I guess 2 mo olds are good at mimicking. LO opens and closes her mouth when she sees me eat or when I talk to her. She tries to mimic my facial expressions. She moves her arm when we say bye, but I think it is still a coincidence.

When she was a few days old, she would cry "mama" when she had a hard time latching on. I think it is a very basic sound and that's how the word mom came about.

Good for you that your baby is developing well!

This. Language got started with words that were easy to vocalize. Your son is probably good at mimicry, and the fact that he's vocalizing so much is a good sign that he's developing well, and might even start talking early (and often... I've been told that children that like to talk started vocalizing early and often). I'd advise you against interpreting this as a sign that he's already talking, though. To my knowledge, babies need a lot of time observing and practicing language before they can even begin to understand how to use it. I read recently that children understand grammar months before they understand language, and they usually don't even understand grammar until about 9 months.

The strength, I can certainly understand. DD doesn't have the balance down, and doesn't understand the purpose of standing, but her strength blows me away. She's pretty close to holding her head up, and she pushes herself up with her legs sometimes when she's on my lap... she launched herself off my lap at about 1 month, and ended up face-first in the couch! You must give her a lot of time working those muscles on the floor... good job, mama! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I dunno, when my LO is really upset and crying sometimes he makes the "ma" sound too. I wouldn't say he's saying "mama" though. I think it's just the way he sounds sometimes when he cries. 

He is starting to make sounds at me when I talk to him. Only sometimes though. I say he's having a "conversation" with me but there's no real words there.

My LO has strong legs too but he definitely can't stand holding just my fingers. He'll "stand" while I have my hands under his arms.

I did think he was going to roll over yesterday. He started lifting his legs and butt and kinda moving sideways. It didn't happen though. :P

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My baby started holding her head at around 2 weeks (for short periods of time). The doctor even commented on it at her two weeks appointment. She also mentioned that it's common and a very normal reflex for babies to "stand" on their legs in the first couple of months, and take steps. She says it's just a reflex and they lose it for a while, before gaining it back around the time they start to walk.
    Feb 14 August siggy challenge
    photo unicornrainbowcat_zps370558db.jpg
  • I about lost it when my son copied my intonation for i-LOVE-you (low-high-low) and broke it up accordingly. I happy screamed and he giggled and kept "talking." My pedi was impressed he had "g" down ("goo", "hoo", the long "O", and "I" sound are what he says right now)

He scoots really well during tummy time and yeah, if I really wanted to I could say my 2mo crawls, even if its technically a belly crawl. But I wouldnt ever say hes crawling though- its just not... crawling... ya know? He scoots.

• DD can stand holding our fingers and LOVES being upright that way, but I was under the impression it was just a reflex that disappeared after the first couple months.  It makes it hard to BF sometimes because her leg strength is really good and she kicks out of a good latch :P
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As some of the PP have said, babies are great at mimicking.  DS is 8 weeks and has been watching us closely when we talk to him.  For example, when I sit in front of him and say "hey" he watches me and makes a similar sound that sounds like "hey"  even though he isn't really saying "hey" lol. Plus, we have a great way of wanting to hear them say certain things so that's what we hear.  Not to say your LO isn't, but my guess is that he's been watching and listening to you and has picked up on the sounds he hears regularly. =)