Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How do you survive the NICU?

Has any body had their baby in the NICU?

I just had my baby boy and he has a brain bleed and blood sugar problems. We have been here for 6 days. I dont know how people do this. I am about to lose it. Between worrying about my baby and not sleeping and no privacy,Im crying all the time and going insane. Is there anything that makes this easier?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image                      

Re: How do you survive the NICU?

• The only thing that helped me through it was our NICU had rooming in and each baby had their own private room. I LIVED up there! I really have no advice other than Pray and know that this will eventually be over with and your baby will be home with you. Each time I left that hospital without him I would sit in the parking lot and bawl. It did make me feel better to release that emotion. The fact that your hormones are all out of sync makes it worse unfortunatly.

I'll be praying for you and your lo, soon enough you'll look back on this and be a stronger person/mommy for it :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• I don't know how to help, but my heart does go out to you. I can only imagine what you are going through and pray that your baby can come home with you soon. I just wanted to suggest maybe posting this on the preemies board. I know that may not be your exact situation, but I've heard those ladies are super supportive and they gone through more than their fair share of NICU experience. Maybe they can provide you with some good insight. T&Ps to you and your LO! 
    Photobucket
  • Oh sweetheart, your hormones have gotten the best of you.  That's why you are so upset.  The best thing for you and your baby is to eat and sleep.  Take care of you.  The NICU staff will take care of your little guy, answer any questions you have.  My daughter was born 5 days ago and also in the NICU, mainly because she was 4 lbs., 8 oz at birth and also a late preterm baby (I was 36w4d when I was induced on Thursday).  The saving grace that I've had is being able to go home for even a little while, get some fresh air, and talk to friends.  I can't say enough about my husband, too, as he has been my rock through it all, and I've helped him when he's needed it.  Lean on others if you need to, see which friends have had babies in NICU that you can turn to, ask the nurses TONS of questions.  I lost it the other day because her billirubin count had skyrocketed and she was so yellow and sluggish.  But, they know what they are doing and she is fine now.  Just have patience with yourself, take a hot shower in your hospital room, have your husband go get your favorite meal from somewhere, and SLEEP.  *hugs* to you
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Today is always fresh, with no mistakes in it--Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
  • Both my kids were in the NICU.  I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said, but I wanted you to know that what you're feeling is totally normal.  I was a disaster both times- crying at the drop of a hat and worrying constantly.  PP was right- it feels like you'll never get out of the NICU.  It's just such an uncertain time. If there was some way for the doctors to say, "Your baby will be going home with you next Wednesday," it would be easier to handle. 

My best advise is just to take it a day at a time.  Take breaks whenever you can. Your son is in very good hands, and won't suffer if you leave to get some food, sleep, or take a walk.  I know it's easier said than done.  I hope your little guy gets to come home with you soon.  You'll be in my thoughts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you everyone. Its been 7 days since I left his room other than to go to the bathroom or use the hospital showers. I was just tol this morning that as long as LO keeps his blood sugars up,he can come home at the end of this week. Everyday they take one more IV out or one more monitor off. He is due to get his feeding tube out today. Thank you for your advice :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image                      

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards