Baby Names
Options

Can you help find names with similar meanings?

DH and I are expecting our third child and are having a tough time coming up with names. It's mostly my problem because I have two very special people to me that I would like to honor. One grandmother passed away two years ago and the other is currently fighting stage 4 cancer. Their names are Velma and Janet. If possible, I would like to find something from at least one of them to put in this baby's name. Velma passed away while I was 8 months pregnant with DS and it was very difficult for me to deal with. I regret not finding a way to name him after her, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it now.

That being said, I know that Velma is a derrivitive of William. I am not opposed to using this, but I would like to try and find something else if possible. DH and his dad are both FN William LN and we already used their FN as DS #1's middle name. I want this name to be something special, reserved only for my grandmother. Is that silly?

There are some of  you on TB that are name wizards and can find similar names/meanings so I thought I would enlist your help. I'm having a hard time finding something that "works" for a boy.

Thank you for any help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Can you help find names with similar meanings?

• Options

Behind the Name says Velma is probably a variant of Wilma/Wilhelmina and other variants of those two names are: Elma, Helma, Vilma, Mien, Mina, Wil, Willy, Minnie.  I like Mina from that list, I went to HS with a Mina. 

Janet is a variant of Jane, which is a great name!  There are also a ton of varients of Janet, you can find them here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just some basic searching led me to suggestions:

Selma

Thelma

Vera

• Loading the player...
  • Options

So to be sure I understand, you are looking for a variant of Velma or Janet that works for a boy? But not William, since that's your first son's middle name?

ETA: What about Wilhelm or Willem for Velma? And for Janet, it is a diminutive of Jane, which is a female form of John, so John- or John in any other language- could work too (Evan, Ewan, Sean, Juan, Giovanni, Ivan, etc). 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

I like the above suggestions

Edited because I didn't read carefully

• Options

Velma = Protector

Also meaning protector- Alexander, Edmund, Raymond

Janet = God is Gracious

Also meaning "God is Gracious"= Evan, Shawn, Shane

You could mix those up for FN/MN combo like: Evan Alexander or Shane Edmund

**ETA- this is all by the powers of Google, so I can not guarentee any of its validity!**

My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thank you, everyone! I feel like I have been searching and looking at these names for so long that my brain is fried.

There are a few suggestions on here that I had not yet come across, so I appreciate your help :)

PP, yes I am having a boy but still want to find a way to honor one or both of my grandmothers as I am/was close to both.

Thanks again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageBlessedMommy723:

Thank you, everyone! I feel like I have been searching and looking at these names for so long that my brain is fried.

There are a few suggestions on here that I had not yet come across, so I appreciate your help :)

PP, yes I am having a boy but still want to find a way to honor one or both of my grandmothers as I am/was close to both.

Thanks again!

Oops, sorry, reading fail.  None of my suggestions help :-(  But Behind the Name always lists variants, so that is a good place to start. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"