Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Milk Production and Supplementing.

Hi since coming back to work 3 months ago (hard to believe), my production has slowly dwindled. I'm hardly producing an ounce an hour. I pump 2x at work, again when i get home and again before i go to sleep. The only time i have enough for a whole feeding is when i pump in the morning. Having to get up so early for work, it makes it so difficult to make myself get up in the middle of the night to pump. My daughter only eats 4 (or 5) times a day. She's eating 6 or 7 oz at a time.

Because i don't produce enough milk, we bought formula to help supplement. We got Gerber Goodstart, but she hates it. We're starting her on solids, but i still want to give her milk.

Any tips to increase milk production?

Any tips to help her like formula? Should i try a different brand? Anyone have any recommendations? 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Milk Production and Supplementing.

• I would also try the Breastfeeding board on here.  I have heard some women power pump for a certain period of time ( I am not sure how this works though).  You can try fenugreek or brewers yeast.  How long are you at work?  Is there any way to add another pump session there?

To get her to take formula you may want to try mixing it with BM so the taste of BM is still there.  She may take it then.  Then each bottle has some BM in it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • I also was worried about low milk supply and got the following advice from a lactation consultant to boost milk production.

Power Pump: Power pumping involves using regular pumping techniques and setup, but in a unique way. The idea is to mimic a baby who is nursing frequently to increase a mother?s supply, as is common in the nursing relationship during a growth spurt. To power pump, hook-up as you would for a normal pumping session, pump for 10-20 minutes, rest 10 minutes, then pump another 10 minutes, then rest for 10 minutes, then pump again for 10 minutes. The mother does this for about an hour, once per day, to increase supply. At other pumping times during the day, routine pumping is used. It can take about a week to see an increase, so don?t get discouraged.

Supplements I used:  Fenugreek 3 pills 3 times a day for 21 days and Blessed Thistle 3 pills 3 times a day for 21 days. 

This has helped my milk supply a lot.  I am now pumping 11 oz a day.  Hope that helps.

• Loading the player...
  • I have a low milk supply also have been taking Fenugreek for several months now it is helping. I take 3 pills, 3 times a day as I was instructed by a lactation consultant. The Fenugreek does make you smell like maple syrup, but I think it is totally worth it in order to keep my breast milk coming in. I also took Blessed Thistle for a while also suggested by consultant, which helped also, but it is hard to find where I live.
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's been hard for me exclusively pumping. Especially the nighttime pumps. I would aim to pump every 2 to 3 hours and every 4 overnight. The best thing that worked for me is a tea called Breastea that you get online. The website is the same name. Drink it daily. It started increasing  my milk supply after the first day and it's been increasing ever since.
  • Do you have a longer commute. I pump in the morning, then pump again on my way to work, then at work and on may way home. Then 1 to 2 times before bed. I can pump once in the AM then an hour later pump again and get another 3oz. You can try that and see if it helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"