Breastfeeding
Options

Clogged ducts- help please

I am currently away for the weekend on a business trip and pumping but not having success on one side. The pump is hardly getting anything out on that side and it feels like some of ducts are clogged. I still have a day left until I get home and am in a lot of pain. I have tried hot compresses and massaging, but it seems like I can't get the ducts clear or the pain to go away. I don't have access to a store to try a different flange or parts for the pump so I am stuck. I am afraid if I can't get them clear it will turn into mastitis. Any suggestions?

Re: Clogged ducts- help please

• Options
    Have you tried hand expressing in a nice hot shower? Also, ibuprofen and ice packs can really be helpful. The best thing though is to get that milk out. I sympathize. Plugged ducts suck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Be sure to take ibuprofen (Advil) every 4-6 hours until the clog clears...  Nurse/pump/hot showers!  Good luck.  Sorry you're going through this.  Clogged ducts stink. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    massage while taking a hot shower, massage while pumping, use a heating pad, drink lots of water and get lots of rest.  sometimes you have to massage pretty firmly and it's painful, but it will help.  gl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I find that when I pump, I get better suction if I put nipple butter or vaseline around my nipple, it seals it better against the flange and it creates better suction.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I havent tried it but my friend suggested running a comb over the lumps- she said it worked for her
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"