Breastfeeding

NCP: Pumping at work

It seems as if there have been a lot of pumping/return to work questions lately and since I'm in that same position too, I thought I'd see if we could get some answers together. So:

How long are you away from your LO?

How often & how long do you pump at work?

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BFP #1 12.5.07 DD born 8.6.08
BFP #2 6.18.11 M/C 6.26.11 @ 4w 5d
BFP #3 9.15.11 DS1 born 5.21.12
BFP #4 5.27.13 DS2 born 1.27.14

Re: NCP: Pumping at work

• image esd:

How long are you away from your LO? 9.5 hours

How often & how long do you pump at work? I pump twice a day for 20-25 minutes

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  Haven't dropped any sessions and not planning on it. I need all my sessions to keep up with her intake while I'm at work.

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  I usually give her frozen milk on Mondays and freeze what I pump on Fridays. This way I make sure to rotate through my stash. I haven't mixed fresh with the frozen.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    BFP #1 8.05.09 - DS 4.12.10 ~ BFP #2 4.11.11 - DD 12.19.11

BFP Charts

• How long are you away from your LO?  From 7:30-4:30

How often & how long do you pump at work? 2x at 9 and 1

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  Never dropped one

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  Just fresh. 

Also, for all of you moms returning to work, I found this article very helpful in determining how much I needed to pump at work to maintain my supply.  It talks about how to figure out your "Magic Number" of total feedings per day that you'll need to keep up with your baby. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How long are you away from your LO?  5am-4pm so 11 hours (long commute)

How often & how long do you pump at work? At first, I pumped every 2-2.5 hours for 30 minutes each time.  I'm now down to 1-2 times per day, 4-5 hours apart, still for 30 minutes.  My second letdown is at the 20 minute mark so I need to pump this long to feel empty/comfortable.  I do not see/feed my LO before work.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?   Yes.  But I was intentionally dropping sessions.  I dropped to 4x at 8 months, 3x at 10 months, and 2x at 12 months.  (Give or take.)

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  I gove frozen on Mondays, fresh the rest of the week.  I'm starting to give frozen on Mondays and Wednesdays to rotate more.

• image esd:

It seems as if there have been a lot of pumping/return to work questions lately and since I'm in that same position too, I thought I'd see if we could get some answers together. So:

How long are you away from your LO?

How often & how long do you pump at work?

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  

7:30am to 5pm

4 times- 7:30am before I clock in at 8am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm.  

All fresh, saving my frozen stash to build up to quit pumping around 8 months...thats my goal anyway.

• How long are you away from your LO? 9 Hours

How often & how long do you pump at work? 2x at work (and once in the AM while getting ready at home) for about 20-30 minutes, the one in the morning is the longest.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  Nope. I dropped from 3x to 2x at work after about 6 weeks back. I get maybe 2oz less overall. I get about 12oz total while at work and 8-10oz during my at-home AM pump.

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  Yes. On Mondays he gets about a 40fresh/60frozen mix. I try to get at least some fresh in each bottle. Lately I've had to top off his bottles Tues - Fri with a little frozen as well, but only 2-4oz if at all - depends on the day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

• How long are you away from your LO? Approx. 10 hrs.

How often & how long do you pump at work? 3x day ~25-30 mins.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?   Have not dropped any sessions

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?   Don't have enough in the fridge to do this. Everything pretty much gets consumed the next business day.

• How long are you away from your LO? 11.5 hours a day

How often & how long do you pump at work?3x at work, 1x at home- all for 20 min each.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected? I haven't yet but I'm looking forward to it now that my 6 month old is starting solids.

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do? I give all fresh unless I'm short on what he needs for the day. I leave my milk from Friday in the fridge and serve it on Monday. 

• I'm currently BF #3 who's almost 9 months. I nursed #1 for 15 months and #2 for 17 months working full time with each.

I'll anwer you questions, then copy part of a posting I've shared a couple times about what I've learned in my 41 months of BF. At the bottom is a section around working/pumping mom's.

How long are you away from your LO? 8 - 5 PM

How often & how long do you pump at work? I WFH, but I pump at 9:30 and 3:30 and nurse over lunch. I usually pump for 15 minutes and nurse abouut the same.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  I did not start dropping until around 11ish months, so no was not a problem. Around that time, I found that each baby started to loose interest in nursing at lunch and just wanted solids. I still pumped mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

I generally serve fresh and occassionally use frozen before it expires.

Several months ago I made a posting re: sharing my breastfeeding wisdom. I was asked to re-post. Unfortunately I can?t find it myself (thanks bump for having a wonderful search capability), so I?m rewriting and actually saving this on my computer for future reference J 

As a quick point of reference..who am I (or in other words do I really know anything about BF)? 

I?m a mom of 2 (4 yr girl, 1 yr boy). I have worked full time with both kids, returning to work when the 1st was 3 months and the 2nd was 4 months. DD was in a licensed DC, and when DS arrived, we switched to a nanny. DD was nursed for 15 months and DS is still being nursed (almost 15 months). I  did not supplement with formula except for their jaundice (will explain below).

In 30 total months of BFing, here?s what I?ve learned and would share?

The Basics/Getting Started

?         BF is a learned skill ? you must learn, baby must learn. UNLIKE bottle feeding, milk does not just come out, a baby must work to get the milk. Be patient, get help.

?         It takes about a good 6 -7 weeks to really get proficient at BF ? that means, baby knows what they are doing, you know what you are doing, baby isn?t constantly falling asleep or nursing non-stop. If you think after 2 days, 5 days or even two weeks you and baby will be an expert ? you will be grossly disappointed and frustrated. 

?         BF babies for the first COUPLE of months eat really frequently!! I can?t stress this enough.  It?s not b/c you don?t make enough it?s because the size of a person?s stomach is roughly the size of their fist. That means an infant?s tummy is REALLY small. Add to that the fact that BM is very easy on the stomach and digests very fast ? this means you BF baby will eat very often in the beginning 

?         The flip side of the previous bullet is this?formula takes longer to digest. Plain and simple this is why FF babies go longer between their feedings.

?         This is SO important and I can?t say it enough, but BF is completely based on supply and demand. When you put baby to breast, it tells your body to keep making more. When you take away the breast and substitute a bottle, you ARE telling your body?I don?t need to produce milk right now.

?         To judge if a baby is getting enough?  look at # of wet diapers per day.  Do NOT base this in the beginning off how much you can pump. Also consider baby?s temperament, coloring, etc (the caveat is that if baby has tummy problems, the temperament after eat may not be a good indicator if he is in discomfort). Also, when nursing, look at baby?s cheeks ? they should be going in and out as he is sucking and you should be able to see the neck muscles moving as he swallows.

?         BF babies will go through growth spurts. During this time, they may seem like they are constantly hungry. This is supply/demand at its finest?by increasing the frequency of nursing during the growth spurts, baby is telling your body to increase production.  Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months. Keep in mind this is an estimate and your baby may hit their spurt slightly before or after. During this time, baby may seem fussier than usual ? that is normal too. This is a REALLY important time to not turn to the bottle!!

?         If you can, invest in a recliner.  Even more so that my glider, my recliner was wonderful those first months. Why? With a boppy to support you/baby and your feet up and you somewhat reclined, you can situate baby at the breast and doze off.

?         Once your supply is established, you won?t always have a sensation of full hard boobs. Don?t judge if baby is getting enough b/c your breast are or are not engorged.

?         Initially BF probably is harder than FF, but in the long run it?s much easier. Why? There?s a lot to learn with BF, with bottle feeding, you simply put the bottle in and milk comes out.  Little work for you and even less for baby (just think about it?all you have to do is turn a bottle up side down and the milk comes out. Not true of your boob!) But, once you and baby get into the swing of it, you NEVER have to run out for formula, you never have to worry that you didn?t bring a bottle, you don?t have to heat up a bottle, there are less bottles to clean, etc)

?         Formula to help with jaundice?as context, both my kids had jaundice. Both kids were on the end of the spectrum where BF babies poop every 10 ? 15 days. The primary way jaundice is removed from the body is by pooping. Since BM creates very little solid waste, I would give them a ? oz of formula after nursing as a way to help them poop. Once the jaundice was gone, there was no more formula (lasted no more than the first 2 weeks). Again the key here is to keep nursing.

?         There is a general rule of thumb for BF babies that in the beginning they should eat every 2 hours. Here?s the thing, while that is true, you need to calculate the time from start of one feeding to the start of the next NOT from the end of one feeding to the start of the next. Said another way?if you nurse at 2 PM and it takes 45 minutes. The next targeted feeding time is 4 PM, not 4:45!!.

?         We are a give it to me now, I want it easy society (I?m just as guilty here too). And unfortunately these traits don?t mesh well with BF. Those first months of BF you should be prepared that you will likely not have the time, energy or both to work out, cook, clean the house, whatever. If you can get through those first 2 months, I swear it gets TONS better.

?         I HIGHLY recommended learning how to nurse lying down and if you like co-sleeping. I?m not advocating the family bed here, but what I?m sharing is that being able to pull baby into bed with you and nurse while you are lying down really is a savior. I found that it?s generally around the 8 ? 10 week mark then baby gets big enough for this to be comfortable. Use lots of pillows to support yourself.

Working Mom?s/Bottle Feeding/Pumping:

?         Pumping takes practice. Your body needs to learn to relax and ?let down? to the pump and not just baby.

?         Doing breast massages and compressions really do help you get more milk out

?         No matter what, you never get out via a pump as much as baby can get out at the breast (think of this as you using a personal carpet shampooer vs hiring professionals ? your carpet comes out much cleaner from the professionals b/c they have more effective tools)

?         A BF baby?s intake will NOT, I repeat NOT, continuously go up and up like a FF baby. BM changes consistency to meet baby?s needs ? formula can not. This means to make up for the additional nutrients, etc, formula must be given in greater amounts. Additionally, formula is NOT all natural like BM ? thus it can?t be 100% digested and used by the body. Once a baby gets to about 1 month, their intake remains pretty stead until about 6 months (or when solids are introduced).

?         Many babies of working BF mom?s reverse cycle?meaning they will take little via a bottle when away from mom and then ?bulk? up on milk when actual with mom.

?         It?s REALLY important to let your childcare provider know when baby typically eats and to not over feed. The key here is this?a BF baby can be sucking but not nursing. Since many babies have a need to suck, it?s important to not use a bottle to satisfy this sucking need.  A childcare provider should provide the bottle and then use a paci if baby still seems ?hungry?. Often it?s not the hunger but the desire to suck.  This is also key b/c an OVERFED baby will not want to eat with mom.

?         You need to pump when baby would normally be eating when you are away from baby. No, 1 missed pumping session will NOT screw your supply (come on girls!!), but if you repeatedly skip sessions, you body will take that as a sign that it shouldn?t make as much.

?         Assuming you are in an office environment and use something like Outlook for meeting scheduling, create re-occurring meetings for yourself to block out pumping time.

?         Stop beating yourself up for taking time to pump?just think about all the smoke or internet breaks other employees take!!

?         To help minimize pumping time, invest in multiple sets of pump parts. After using, put the dirty parts into a plastic grocery bag and use a new set the next time. Wash at the end of the day.

?         I didn?t do this with #1, but with #2, I washed pump parts in the dishwasher ? saved me lots of time!

?         SERVE WHAT YOU PUMP. SERVE WHAT YOU PUMP. SERVE WHAT YOU PUMP. If your pumping schedule is this. 9 AM, noon and 3 PM and respectively you pump 4 oz, 3 oz, 2.5 oz - - serve exactly that amount in that order the next day so what I pump on Friday gets served Monday)

?         Adding on to the previous?your freezer stash should be a back up. Use it when you spilled milk or left it out ? not as a regular way to feed on a daily basis ? see previous SERVE WHAT YOU PUMP.

?         Keep in mind that it?s common for your pump output to be less in the afternoon (after all it?s an afternoon SNACK ;-) not a meal)

?         If you need to travel and pump, send me a PM ? I have a whole set of tips for that.

?         I have always adhered to the following in terms of storage and heating:

o   8 hours at room temp, 8 days in the fridge, 3-4 months in a regular freezer. Yes, sometimes on day 7 I would then freeze the milk ? no big deal.

o   Both frozen and fresh milk I would allow to reheat 2 times.  And you CAN put it in the fridge in between. This is a biggie for day cares since formula must be handled totally different.

• How long are you away from your LO?  About 8.5-9 hours

How often & how long do you pump at work? Most days I pump 3 times.  Soon when I start my long day on Thursdays I will need to pump 4 times.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected? n/a

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do? On Mondays he gets frozen milk.  Tues-Fri he gets fresh from the pervious day.  Friday-Sun I freeze what I pump.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • How long are you away from your LO?  10-11 hrs/ 5 days a week

How often & how long do you pump at work? I'm a teacher and won't pump when I return to work in the fall, but last year I pumped every four hours, so three times a day (upon arrival, midday, prior to leaving).  I pumped for 15-25 minutes a session, however long it took me to finish.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  I kept all three sessions for the duration.  DS was just shy of ten months when I was done for the summer.  I would have started dropping sessions in his tenth/eleventh months if I had worked all summer.

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  I always sent frozen on Mondays and fresh the rest of the week.  Then I'd freeze Friday's milk.  If he was fighting a cold or anything like that, sometimes I would save Friday's milk in the fridge and send it Monday.

M/C: 9/28/10
    My BFP Chart

photo a3c7ba5d-b9a0-4b3a-ac17-214495329b9c.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image esd:

How long are you away from your LO? 9 hours from drop off to pick up

How often & how long do you pump at work? For the most part-2 times a day.  Once around 9:30 and again around 2:00.  If I needed a third, I'd squeeze one in around noon. How long? Until no more was coming out, usually about 20 minutes, but I didn't let the clock rule the session.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  I've been working on pumping once a day and making that later and later in hopes of being completely done with pumping in another week or two. I have not notice any negative affects.

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  On Mondays she would get all frozen and T-F she would get fresh.  Now, since I only pump once a day and my oversupply is finally under control, she gets about one bottle of fresh and two bottles of frozen.  Today, I also added one ounce of whole milk to her fresh bottle.

• image esd:

How long are you away from your LO? 10.5 hours

How often & how long do you pump at work? 3 times for 15 mins each. They are spaced 3.5 hours apart.

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  na

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do? i usually do frozen on Mondays. But I have some frozen stash that is about to expire, so I will probably mix in a frozen bottle every day for a little while.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image esd:

How long are you away from your LO? 8am - 6:30pm

How often & how long do you pump at work? 3x for 30 minutes each (10am, 1pm, 3:30pm)

If you have dropped a pumping session at work, was your supply negatively affected?  N/A

Do you give your LO a mix of frozen and fresh? If so, what type of mix do you do?  Almost exclusively fresh. I have given some frozen but he's objected at times (I have excess lipase and didn't start scalding the frozen milk until recently) and I have been lucky to stay on top of his demand for  now). I'd rather he have fresh than scalded frozen but we'll tap into the freezer if my supply takes a hit.

ETA: I also pump before work (after 1st morning feed) and before bed.  Sometimes the before-bed pump is an hour of power pumping. I average about 15oz a day over these 5 pumping sessions. Ugh.

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c