Working Moms

Question about returning to work...new job!

So, I begin with a new company on 8/1 - this Wednesday, and they didn't tell me when to come in for training. I e-mailed today and they thought I was coming in tomorrow, 7/31. That issue was resolved.

Then they send me the training schedule 9:30-5pm, not bad, right? WRONG. My sitter, my mother, can only watch my LO until 4pm. I am going to call my new boss tomorrow - do you think it would be wrong of me to ask about modifying the schedule to 8-3:30p so that I can get home in time for my mom to leave (she works 5-10pm)? Or should I ask my mom to take a float day and possibly aske to adjust the other days?

I don't want to ask too much from a new employer and I know that after training is complete, I can set my schedule to accomodate my mothers.

What would you do? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Question about returning to work...new job!

• Honestly, I would figure out some way to work the training schedule atleast the first day. Ask when you go there if it is possible to modify it . 

dd1 - 09-03-2010 ♥ dd2 - 04-17-2012
    3 First Tri Losses - DX MTHFR
    Baby # 3 - December 30th 2014 
    It's a BOY!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I won't deny it, as a hiring manager I would be annoyed that you had to leave early on your first day.  That being said, I wouldn't hold it against you, but since you are in the probation stage for at least 30 days I would make sure you are a DARN good worker during your probation period.

Personally, I would ask your mom or anybody if they can help you...considering it's only for 2 hours.  good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I would get a sitter for the last few hours of the day, or have DH make it work with his job and be home with LO. 

I would not leave early from training the first day.  I would be super annoyed if a new hire did that to me. 

• image laurakaz13:

I would get a sitter for the last few hours of the day, or have DH make it work with his job and be home with LO. 

I would not leave early from training the first day.  I would be super annoyed if a new hire did that to me. 

Absolutely this.  TBH, I would have made sure that for the first week I had almost zero responsibilities as far as childcare so that I could dedicate myself 100% to the new job.  That first week is important and really sets the tone for what kind of employee you'll be.

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I got it covered for the next 3 days. Unfortunately DH is away for business so he couldn't be here - that would have helped remedy the issue. 

Thanks ladies!!!

I figured I needed to be there for training and asking for a modified schedule on my first day would not look so great. I am really excited to get the training process complete (I know most of the training stuff already - new company but same position/job duties)!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers