Breastfeeding

How long to wait before using a bottle?

I am EBF but I am thinking of pumping and letting DH use a bottle while I need to leave the house for a couple hours. I can take her with me, but it would be a lot of hassle if I needed to feed her while I was gone. She will be exactly 3 weeks old. Is that too early to introduce a bottle? TIA

Re: How long to wait before using a bottle?

• My son will be 3 weeks tomorrow. He has had a bottle 2 times this week. It hasn't effected him nursing at all. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The general guideline for introducing a bottle is 4-6 weeks, or once nursing is well established. If nursing is going well I would feel okay offering the bottle. If you are struggling with latch or other issues, I would give it more time before trying a bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• My pediatrician and LC suggested introducing a bottle between 2-3 weeks. They both said there is a "magic window." I gave DS one last week and it went fine.
    DD: 14 years old
    DS: 2 years old
    DS: Arrived in July

• You shouldn't intro a bottle or dummy until 4-6w. I waited until 8w, and he mostly hates it. (since it wasn't my choice, that's fine by me)

• klmbbbklmbbb
    Fourth Anniversary
    We had a latch issue and thrush early on so I didn't intro a bottle until 8-10 weeks. LO took the first bottle swimmingly but since then won't take it (now 6 mo) and I would really like her to so I can get a break and get some longer stretches of sleep at night. If I had it to do again I'd intro the bottle at 4-6 weeks.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • leah2bleah2b
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its
    DO IT NOW!!!!  Otherwise you could be in the unfortunate position (that I am in) where your baby totally refuses the bottle.  My DD refused the botte at 2 months and we have had no luck since.  You do not want to be in this situation- beleive me.