August 2012 Moms

Walgreens Tdap (vent)

So we asked my dad and my FIL to go get the Tdap prior to coming out here when the baby is born (my mom works in L&D so she already has it) Both were totally fine with going to get it.

Just got a call from my DH.  Apparently FIL stopped at Walgreens to get it today and the guy wouldn't give it to him because he is just getting over a cold.  Okay fine he says he will come back in a few days to get it no big deal.  Well I guess the guy(who is a nurse practitioner) then proceeded to asked him why he needed it.  My FIL told him his son was having a baby and that we asked that he get it since he will be around the baby prior to the baby being vaccinated. The guy told him that was a stupid reason to get it and he didn't need it to be around a newborn. He told FIL that just because he had the shot didn't mean he wouldn't still be a carrier of the disease it just meant he wouldn't get it himself. And he told him he didn't need to get it because he has already had it in the past even though its been well over 10 years since he had it. WTF?

My FIL called my DH afterward all confused. DH told him that the CDC and our OB-Gyn and Pediatrician have all recommended that anyone who will be around the baby for any significant amount of time get the shot so he is still going to go back and get it (probably at a different Walgreen's location) so its not going to be an issue for us. 

But it seriously pisses me off that there are healthcare professionals advising  adults who will be around newborns not to get this shot. Especially with all the outbreaks going around right now.  Makes it even harder for those of you who are struggling with stubborn family members to get the importance across when there are health care professionals out there saying the exact opposite of what you are telling your family members.

I'm just super thankful that my FIL will go by our wishes no matter what because it is our child and he is on board with what we choose for our baby's safety.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Walgreens Tdap (vent)

• Un-freaking-believable. I would be calling walgreens to complain big time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Seriously, you need to call them and speak to a higher up.

• Loading the player...
  • I think there is a lot of confusion about it. My MIL called her doctor and he said he didn't even know if he could get the syrum, and that she would probably have to go to a pediatrician's office to get it (???). He also said he didn't think it was necessary. Um, ok? I told her we just went to Walgreens to get it. The only issue I had with them was that I had an appt for 1:00 and when we got there they said it would be at least 45 minutes before they could get to us. What's the point of an appointment then?

The Tdap vax didn't even come out until 2005, so your FIL did not have it 10 years ago. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageNikko Blue:

I think there is a lot of confusion about it. My MIL called her doctor and he said he didn't even know if he could get the syrum, and that she would probably have to go to a pediatrician's office to get it (???). He also said he didn't think it was necessary. Um, ok? I told her we just went to Walgreens to get it. The only issue I had with them was that I had an appt for 1:00 and when we got there they said it would be at least 45 minutes before they could get to us. What's the point of an appointment then?

The Tdap vax didn't even come out until 2005, so your FIL did not have it 10 years ago. 

I know, I think he probably had the TD booster shot and this stupid guy at Walgreens was trying to tell him it was the same thing is my guess.  Because this is the first grandchild on that side of the family and actually the first baby period since my DH's youngest cousin who is now 16.  FIL isn't in a healthcare or childcare profession so I don't think he'd have had any other reason to have had the Tdap at any other point.

To those who said I should call Walgreen's to complain.  I would do this but we are in Nebraska and my FIL is in Ohio.  I'm not sure exactly where he went but I will mention it to him that he might want to call and speak to someone higher up about the "advice" being given by this guy.

• That is horrible they'd try to talk him out of it. He doesn't have to agree with your FIL's decision but he doesn't need to try to change his mind. Better to be safe than sorry.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• There have been 3 babies within a 50 mile radius of the town I live in the Pertussis and one of them died at 7 weeks. That provider at Walgreens needs to be slapped!!! Why would you and your family not do everything in their power to protect your LO!?!?!? GRRRR! My entire family has gotten that shot and my husbands family and I will ask anyone else who is going to be around my LO a lot to get one as well. The health dept in the town I live in does them for free so why wouldn't you?!?!?

• That's terrible.  My MIL called her Target pharmacy the other day to make sure they had the shot (they ordered it for her and SFIL), and the pharmacist who she spoke with told her what a good thing they were doing, and how smart DH and I were to make them get the shot.  It's really unfortunate that some people just have no idea what they're talking about, and spread that ignorance around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Once touched by pain, you're not the same But time can heal your heart again So let the clouds that bring you down Just fade away...
  • That is crazy.  I'm glad your FIL called to confirm with you though did take the guys word for it! 

BTW, thanks for letting me know Walgreens does the vax, DH still needs to get it, and has been putting it off. Looks like he'll be making a quick trip to Walgreens after work tomorrow!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic C 5.14.08 c 8.9.12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"