February 2013 Moms
Options

Flying with baby?

I'm a FTM mom so forgive me if this is a dumb question. But how soon can a newborn fly in an airplane? My best friend is getting married in Phoenix in the middle of March and baby is due the middle/end of February. Would that be too soon to fly with the baby?

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Flying with baby?

• Options

Most airlines say no earlier than 2 weeks, but you should have the ok from your pedi if you're going to fly soon after that.

Can you get the tickets with travel insurance in case you go way over your EDD and can't fly?

Also, for me personally, I know there is no way in heck I would have been ready to fly with DD that soon, but I don't know how much of that was because she was a preemie and how much was normal feelings of a new mom. We took our first 1.5 hour road trip with her when she was 2 months old (3 weeks after her original EDD), and even that was a big deal to me. I think many other moms are more laid back about it, though. Again, it's hard for me to say how much of that was normal FTM worrying and how much was because of the preemie issues. 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    We took DS on a plane trip when he was six weeks old. I checked with the pedi first, who said it would be OK. I was worried, but it really wasn't that bad, and he didn't get sick as a result.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with this myself but my cousin has a 2 month old now and about 3 weeks ago she went to Phoenix from Chicago with her DD and DS. She said both kids were really great at the airport and on the plane. She just made sure she had a little bit extra of everything just in case. And she was lucky she did because she wound up having to go standby due to a cancelled flight. Still she said both did an excellent job both waiting and flying. 
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Suz+MoSuz+Mo member

My BFF flew with her son at 5 weeks, but baby and mama both had no complications so I dont know that every mom and baby would be able to do that.

I'm considering getting a refundable ticket for an event over Easter weekend knowing that I may cancel at the last minute if need be.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think unless LO has any health issues (or you, for that matter), it should be fine. Keep baby in a sling, i.e. close to you and not "touchable" by strange hands. There will likely be no easier time to fly than there is with a newborn. Way easier than flying with, say, a toddler who only wants get up and walk around.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"