Working Moms

Second shift anyone ?

I am considering taking a position in insurance claims , but it is second shift. My husband is a teacher and is home about two hours after I would leave. It would save us so much in childcare , but I'm nervous about the whole second shift thing . Any pros or cons ? 

dd1 - 09-03-2010 ♥ dd2 - 04-17-2012
3 First Tri Losses - DX MTHFR
Baby # 3 - December 30th 2014 It's a BOY       

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Second shift anyone ?

• What would the hours be? My husband works second shift from 2 pm to 10 pm and I HATE it. It just feels like he is never able to get anything done, because he's the kind of person that prefers to wake up and go to work, not wake up, go about your day, then go to work. And since he's had to get up with dd since I've gone back to work, he's miserable, thanks to a chronic lack of sleep. It doesn't help that we don't get to see each other anymore, because I work 6 am to 6 pm, so by the time he's up I've left and by the time he gets home I'm in bed. That's just my experience with it, not all second shift jobs are that bad. I know some people that absolutely love it.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you both. I would not be working weekends . We are planning on giving it a try . I just can't justify the extra child care cost when it's not a necessity. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband is an RN in an ICU and works the 7pm-7am shift one week out of every six... it's definitely not ideal.  We don't see each other on the days he works (which luckily is only 3 days a week, 4 if he wants to pick up an extra shift).  2nd shift doesn't sound too bad though, other than that you won't see each other much during the week.
    Daughter Emily - 10/28/03, and baby on the way makes 4! Pregnancy Ticker
  • ::lurker here::

I work the second shift 2pm-9pm. I don't really mind it. Im home all morning with DS. He's in daycare only 20 hours a week. I drop him off at 1pm and DH picks up by 6pm. It's definitely a saver!! I can run errands in the morning, grocery shop, dr appointments, etc. I've gotten cooking dinner in the morning down to a science. Lol DH is lazy and won't cook. As for our relationship- it works for us. Hope I can find a happy medium! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Pros: Saving lots of money on child care, kids get to spend lots of time with both parents. You don't have to take time off work for a sick child. 

Cons: Never seeing your DH during the week is really rough on a marriage after many months. If you're the one working second shift, you don't get to put your kids to bed (not a "con" for everyone, I suppose!) 

Trying to work out a fair chores system so no one person is getting burned out can be tricky, but is necessary for the arrangement to work. And use some of the money you save on day care for lots of date nights with hubby so you can stay connected other than via text message and sticky note. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Would it be part-time or full-time? I think full-time (5 shifts a week) would be really, really hard on most relationships. 

I work evenings 6-11 two nights a week and it works really well for us. The kids get one on one time with their dad and it's made him more involved since he has to provide care by himself. On occasion I pick up a third night if my work needs extra help for vacation coverage and that's pretty much the max amount of days I would feel comfortable working opposite from DH though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't offer any experience, but just wanted to mention something.  Since your DH is a teacher, you will need to make sure you have several babysitters available for times when your DH has to work late for after school activities, Parent Teacher conferences, etc. maybe even when he needs to work on his lesson plans at home at night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• It sounds like you've already made your choice but I figured I'd throw my experience out there for anyone else who might be wondering the same thing.  I work on a two week rotation (two weeks day shift, two weeks second shift) and have a love/hate relationship with the second shift weeks.  On the love side - I get all of the housework and errands done.  I schedule doctor's appointments during those two weeks so I don't have to take time off of work.  On the hate side - Due to the way our daycare is set up (close to DH's job and too far from mine)  DD goes to school in the morning with him.  I only get about 1/2 hour in a very groggy state with her each day.  I basically get 2 three hour long naps for sleep, so by the end of the two weeks I'm exhausted.  Since I have a desk job and access to the internet we use a video chat program so that I can see her in the evening for dinner and play time, which makes it better.  I was doing this rotation shortly after DH and I got engaged, and it was actually an improvement over the constant travel I was doing so it works for us.  But I also have two weeks on a regular day shift and weekends to spend time with my family.

So I guess consider how much sleep you need and how much you're going to get.  Consider how much time you'll get with LO and how much you can handle being away.  Also, consider the impact it will have on your relationship with DH.  Saving money is great, but your mental and physical health are more important to your family.

• Thank you all :) We have a lot to think about. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Second shift as in 3-11 or 4-12? I love it. Pros (not getting up early)... A child/baby will get you up early, but at least you can stay in your pj's! I have always been a slight night owl, so afternoons were fitting.