August 2012 Moms

Best rectal thermometer?

STM's - what do think is the best/easiest rectal thermometer (brand)?  I heard Vicks and others. Should I get one now or wait and see what my pedi suggests once LO is here?

Re: Best rectal thermometer?

• I never had one.  I'm too scared to do it wrong.  Its a very delicate area and you can easily go too far and cause damage.  If you have experience with it, than go for it.  I had a regular digital that I used for under arm.  Worked good.  Anyway, that's just me and my thoughts.  I"m always the odd duck out on this board though. :)

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yeah, I second the digital underarm. Rectal method is kind of outdated and unnecessary. My daughter has made it to a very healthy 3 without ever having had anything stuck in her butt. :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Ha!  That's why I wondered if I should hold off or pedi advice here. I'm terrified of putting anything there. Poor baby!  
  • I'm a FTM but the doctor that will be our pediatrician recommended not using a rectal thermometer.  Like pp said it is a very delicate area.

They instead recommended digital thermometers that can go under the arm (she said the child is also much leff fussy for this).  We got a Vick's thermometer.

Happy thoughts to all! BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have the Vicks and never had a problem with it. It has a very short, flexible tip to prevent it from being inserted too far. We were *always* asked for a rectal temp when calling the pediatrician over a fever or other illness.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • imagebabypaloozyvan:
    Ha!  That's why I wondered if I should hold off or pedi advice here. I'm terrified of putting anything there. Poor baby!  

I would ask your pedi.  The hospital I used to work at we taught moms how to do rectal temps because the pedis expect parents to be able to give them rectal temp measurements if they called about fevers.  You don't really need a special thermometer though, just a regular thermometer and lubrication (most moms use Vaseline, but surgilube and ky jelly are fine).  We were gifted several thermometers, so I kept two.  One we will use for the underarm for "screening" (checking to see if baby has a fever to see if we need to take that next step, lol). The second one we will use for rectal temps and is an American Red Cross one that is pretty foolproof, just in case DH needs to do it when I'm not home. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebabypaloozyvan:
    Ha!  That's why I wondered if I should hold off or pedi advice here. I'm terrified of putting anything there. Poor baby!  

I would ask your pedi.  The hospital I used to work at we taught moms how to do rectal temps because the pedis expect parents to be able to give them rectal temp measurements if they called about fevers.  You don't really need a special thermometer though, just a regular thermometer and lubrication (most moms use Vaseline, but surgilube and ky jelly are fine).  We were gifted several thermometers, so I kept two.  One we will use for the underarm for "screening" (checking to see if baby has a fever to see if we need to take that next step, lol). The second one we will use for rectal temps and is an American Red Cross one that is pretty foolproof, just in case DH needs to do it when I'm not home. 

• imagebabypaloozyvan:

• My pedi preferred a rectal temp.  I'm not sure what brand ours is...I would just check out the reviews on BRU/Amazon/Walmart and see what they say?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son has febrile seizures and we ONLY trust the rectal temp.  This is also the temp that the pedi office asks for. I use the under arm or forehead ones for screening purposes only, but always trust the rectal temp. I find that if I take the temp 3 times in a row with the forehead or underarm thermometers I get three different readings and it drives me crazy.  Since my son has had seizures at the onset of temps and they generally happen at the 101 threshold, we are very sensitive to any elevated levels.  

Taking a rectal temp is super easy and I would not say that it is easy to jam it up too far.  You would have to really be forcing it for that to happen. I use petroleum jelly and just slide it in a bit while he lays on his back and I hold his feet up in the air like I am about to wipe his butt from a dirty diaper.  It takes 2-3 seconds before it beeps and that is it.  I don't know the brand and don't think it really matters.

• The one you get from the hospital is the best!
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
  • imagesourapplemartini:
    The one you get from the hospital is the best!

Not all hospitals send you home with a thermometer. 

• imagemeaknigh:
    We have the Vicks and never had a problem with it. It has a very short, flexible tip to prevent it from being inserted too far. We were *always* asked for a rectal temp when calling the pediatrician over a fever or other illness.
    I'm pretty sure this is the one we have too. Rectal temp really is the most reliable by far! Also, as weird as it sounds, we use a little astroglide on the tip so it slides easily. And don't worry, it's a small sample bottle we got as a joke, it's not coming out of our personal stash or anything!

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagehairofcurls:

I'm a FTM but the doctor that will be our pediatrician recommended not using a rectal thermometer.  Like pp said it is a very delicate area.

They instead recommended digital thermometers that can go under the arm (she said the child is also much leff fussy for this).  We got a Vick's thermometer.

This exactly! We've met with two pediatricians and both said NOT to do rectal temps. 

Married since 06/2004, TTC since 01/2011

BFP #1 and M/C 5/2011

BFP #2 7/1/2011, Blighted ovums officially diagnosed at 9w6d, D&C 8/19/2011.

BFP #3 12/7/2011, EDD 8/15/2012, Harper Lorelai born 8/09/12

• My ped has never asked me for a rectal temp.  And they do the in ear one at the office.  From all the varying answers I would recommend talking to your ped. 

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"