Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Baby carrier for petite moms??

hi ladies

I am a FTM and i would like your recs for a baby carrier for petite moms.I am 4"11 and i would like to know which carrier would best suit for me.I dont like the wrap ones like Mei tai or moby wrap because of the incovenience of wrapping the baby in all by myself.I am confused as to which one would best suit for a short person like me.

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby carrier for petite moms??

• Options

I'm 5'1 and 115lbs (pre-preg) - I loved the K'tan for the newborn stage (a lot of the bonuses of the Moby without the wrapping) but I don't think I'll be able to wear it much longer because it's starting to hurt my back for longer wears.

I'm renting a BabyHawk Mei Tai for the week (I know you said you weren't interested but I'll tell you my experience), I really didn't want to wrap because it seemed too difficult/complicated juggling a baby but it probably gives me the best fit because I have narrow shoulders. Both my husband and I really like it and I we both got the hang of it in just a couple wears.

I thought I'd love the Beco Butterfly II and I was really sold on it until I tried it on, the waist band won't tighten up enough to give good support for me (only matters if your slim) and the shoulder straps were hard to get tight enough. It also seemed a bit long in the torso. 

I also tried on the Ergo original (and will be swapping my rental for this and the Performance version later this week). The original Ergo fit better in the shoulders and waist than the Beco and seemed to have fewer straps. 

I think you really need to try on several different carriers and if possible take them home for a couple days and see if they fit your lifestyle/weather/etc. I think the main factor for me wasn't the torso length it was the fit in the shoulders. Good luck finding the perfect fit :)

image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options

I wouldn't rule out the Mei tai. They are not hard at all to use. I prefer them for front carries rather than a carrier such as the Ergo. They are easy to fit to yourself and as I said easy to use...I decided to give it a go my first day at home so the pup could go pee and there you have it first try was good :)

I have heard good things about boba's for petit women but there is a time when it's not so great, newborn is ok then it's a bit wide until about 6 months.

THe best thing to do it to rent a few and see what you like. Paxbaby do carrier rentals. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The petite thing is why I am going to get a Moby wrap, despite the complicated wrapping thing. I figure with some practice, I'll get good at it. I tried quite a few other ones on and they were just too long on me. I think it depends on if you have a long torso or if your all legs as well. I agree that you should play around with it. Even if you decide, you may change your mind because you decide after the baby is here, you need something different.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options
    I'm 5 feet even and the Ergo worked great for me.  It also worked great for my 6ft+ husband as well :)

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options

I never had a wrap with DS, but I want to get a Baby K'tan for #2.

I'm 5'3", but have a long torso. I went to a baby store and tried on several with my son and like the Beco the best. After that, I liked the Ergo sport. I also have a Boba - my son is tall for his age and after a year the Beco was uncomfortable for both of us. The Boba is awesome and is by far my favorite carrier. I have a Maya Wrap sling that I've hardly used, but is easy to put on.

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageericalee27:
    I'm 5 feet even and the Ergo worked great for me.  It also worked great for my 6ft+ husband as well :)

This. I'm just shy of 5 ft and have no complaints. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRachaelA:

I'm 5'1 and the only issues I have with the Ergo Sport we have is hip carry. But I think the regular Ergo is a bit shorter in the torso area so I think you would be fine with it. We got the sport because my husband is 6'5 and needed something bigger.

Personally though, I never use the Ergo. I got a wrap conversion ring sling from Paxbaby.com and use that daily. Super easy to use and quick to put on. I love it.

This is interesting because I'm average size, 5ft6 and the Ergo sport is close to being too big for me in a back carry, I have the straps as short as they go!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    I have a Beco Gemini and it fits great.  I do have the waist strap as tight as it goes but the bigger my LO gets the better it fits.  I also have a k'tan but don't feel like I can get a fit that's as good.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageHappily Overwhelmed:

imageericalee27:

This. I'm just shy of 5 ft and have no complaints. 

This! i tried on my friends Ergobaby carrier and carried her baby (she is 5ft 5in and I am 5ft) and had no issues... wanted to experiment before i buy it for myself... 

• Options

I'm 5'1" short-waisted and the Ergo works pretty well for us. I wear the hip belt as low as I can to avoid it riding up to my waist. 

The Moby just hasn't worked for us. It's not difficult to get DS into it, but it has to go around my waist to be tight enough and the result is DS sits rather high compared to where he is in the Ergo. With the Moby he keeps head-butting my chin. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"