Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Crib bumper for 7 month old?

We just bought a crib for my daughter (first she was on the Rock n' Play then a pack n play in our room) and She's had two nights in her new crib so far and she keeps getting her leg "stuck". The first time it happened she woke us at 4am screaming and crying because she was scared. Now it keeps happening and it slides right out for me but I guess she can't get it out herself. 

So I was going to order her a bedding set with a bumper, but my friends are saying  still not supposed to use one. I thought it was only when they were newborns and the SIDS risk was high? She will be 8 months in 10 days. If they aren't safe to use at this age, how does everyone prevent their baby's legs from getting stuck(my DD is in this kicking phase where thats all she does is kick her legs 24/7 so maybe thats why?) 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crib bumper for 7 month old?

• I had the same problem, so I put the bumpers in my daughters crib at 5 months. We have had no problems or stuck arms and legs. Personally I think it is totally ok to put bumpers in, but I know some will disagree. If you are unsure, you can always purchase the breathable bumpers.
  • I have breathable bumpers and have since birth. They work great.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelinlee1:
    I had the same problem, so I put the bumpers in my daughters crib at 5 months. We have had no problems or stuck arms and legs. Personally I think it is totally ok to put bumpers in, but I know some will disagree. If you are unsure, you can always purchase the breathable bumpers.

This for us as well, it is a very debatable thing though.... some will argue against it. But bumper works for us.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have been using a traditional bumper since 4.5 months.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • We've been using a regular bumper since day one, without any issues.

- Ava -  11-29-11

- Violet -  10-9-13

• I also have  the breathable bumpers. I'm happy with them so far.
    Steph
  • We've used our bumpers since she was born. I just monitored her movement and stuff to make sure she wasn't getting to close, And as for that co2 build up thing I left the long front one off of the crib. But I put it back on around 6 months because we were having the same problem with DD getting her legs stuck multiple times a night. Pedi also told us at our 6 month app that they are old enough now to move their head if something blocks their airway.
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I won't use them. DS went through a phase where he got caught in the crib slats for a week or 2, then figured it out and hasn't gotten stuck since. Plus, I'd much rather him wake up uncomfortably, then risk him suffocating.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    I won't use them. DS went through a phase where he got caught in the crib slats for a week or 2, then figured it out and hasn't gotten stuck since. Plus, I'd much rather him wake up uncomfortably, then risk him suffocating.

This. She is a moving machine and has rolled since 2.5 months. I think she would be fine, but I don't know for sure if she would be. It's not worth the risk to me. I plan on putting them in when she is close to 1 year old. Don't ask me why then and not now, it's just my weird mommy mind I guess.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I see no point in a bedding set since you're not supposed to use the bumper or quilt.  I got breathable bumpers for DD's crib instead.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • imageallisonty11:
    We've been using a regular bumper since day one, without any issues.

This. He actually likes to snuggle with it a little.  

**Meagan** Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The concern with the bumpers is that baby can suffocate.  Now that my daughter is old enough (7 months) and strong enough to lift her head and chest up high and move around/roll over I feel comfortable that she is old enough (developmentally) to have the bumpers.  You know your child best... If you think they are strong enough and developmentally ready to pull themselves away if they get too close, then you should be fine.  But that is your choice to make.  Good luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejaninekrause:
    I have breathable bumpers and have since birth. They work great.

ditto

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We didn't put them on.  He got his leg stuck for one week before figuring it out.  Plus,  he will sleep with his face pressed to the slats which wouldn't be good if the bumper was there.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've used bumpers since day 1 and simply monitored where my DD was in ther crib and haven't had any issues.

However, I am really surprised that this hasn't been said but when you baby starts being able to stand up in his/her crib (if theyaren't already, mine was doing it by 7 months) they can actually use the bumpers, even the breathable ones, to step on and hoist themselves out of the crib. I seems improbable now but it's amazing how they can develope seemingly over night.

I took my bumpers out as soon as my DD could stand up in her crib and if your baby isn't doing it already it just seemslike an aweful lot of money to waste on something that you should take out anyways pretty soon

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"