3rd Trimester

I may be opening a can of worms but.....

I have a Dr. appt Monday, and I know my Dr. will probably try to convince me to be induced. I'm already 3 days over due, and she says there is an increased chance of all kinds of stuff (don't feel like listing, way too much) if I let him stay in there much longer. I really wanted to let things happen naturally, but what if he doesn't come on his own. Then I would have waited all this time, and I could of got him out of there much sooner. I have read and researched until I can't stand it anymore, but I just want some advice from mom's who have been in this situation, or facing it now. What are you going to do or did do?
image





Re: I may be opening a can of worms but.....

  • erbearerbear
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 100 Love Its
    member
    I'd wait. No need to rush him out. Due dates are just an estimate, so as long as baby was fine (NST can show this), I wouldn't induce until 42 weeks.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • i was 40 w 3 days when my dr  did a sweep with my first and i went into labour. but i was being scheduled for an induction 3 days later
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Anniversary

    image image image
  • If my LO doesn't come on her due date, i am requesting my OB let me go a week after without any intervention...after that, i would probably be more open to something...but i at least would like that extra week b/c due dates are just estimates.


    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • I was 5 days past my due date with my daughter and my doctor was going to induce me the next day, but then I drank raspberry tea and went into labor on my own. So my advice would be to go into labor! (Just kidding. But drink some raspberry tea! It can't hurt :)
  • Does your PG have an increased risk of certain things (more than the normal PG) if you wait a little longer?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

      image

  • I would wait! 41 weeks 1 day is considered normal. as long as you and baby are ok go to at least 42 weeks. LO will come! :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know it's hard to wait and it's very easy to get impatient, but you've made it this far... what's a few more days?  With DS I was 6 days overdue when I went into labor.  I was supposed to have an appt the next day and the Dr wanted to schedule an induction for the next week.  I totally agree with PPs that EDD is just that- an estimation.  GL with whatever you choose, momma. 

    image

    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Surprise BFP 8/9/13, EDD 4/16/14, happy HB 8/26/13, mmc 8/27/13 discovered 9/12/13

    goodbye my little angel.... mommy misses you

  • Tash13Tash13
    2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary
    member
    I would push to 42 weeks, unless you have other complications that put you at a higher risk.  Going late, especially with a first baby, is totally normal.  
    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPG
    !Support with Integrity
  • When I was pregnant with my first one we only went 2 days overdue and they induced me.  My Dr. said that there is no benefit to waiting.  She is 5 now, never had so much as an ear infection and is very smart, expecting her baby sister in a few weeks!  I don't think I would wait personally, but it's really a personal choice.  If you feel better waiting, then see what you Dr. says about it.
  • I was 41w1d when we induced. I had shown no progress at all...maybe just a little thinning. I ended up with an emergency c-section because LOs heart couldn't take the pitocin. My doctor thinks she was due a little earlier than we even thought. We have had tremendous skin problems that started with all the peeling from her being overdue. There is also a higher risk of them passing meconium the longer you wait. 

    Obviously, labor is different for everyone. Full term is 40 weeks and anything after 36 is not really a preemie. There are more risks the longer you wait, and not really any reason to keep cooking after 40. 

  • If I have not gone into labor by Tuesday (40w, 2d), I'm going to schedule an induction for my 41st week. My ob will not let me go past 42 weeks and has a very low c-section rate so I'm confident in her advice.
    image
  • image erbear:
    I'd wait. No need to rush him out. Due dates are just an estimate, so as long as baby was fine (NST can show this), I wouldn't induce until 42 weeks.

    Me too. 

    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first my MW sent me to an acupuncturist to get things moving without induction. It worked for me. See what alternative methods you could use. 
    image


    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • I personally wouldn't go past 41 weeks, and my doctor agrees. There's no harm in scheduling the induction, it's really just a placeholder in case the hospital starts to fill up. With DS I scheduled my induction for 41 weeks at my last appointment (40 weeks, 2 days). He came on his own at 40 weeks 6 days - I think he knew he was going to be evicted ;) 
    image
  • image meaknigh:
    I personally wouldn't go past 41 weeks, and my doctor agrees. There's no harm in scheduling the induction, it's really just a placeholder in case the hospital starts to fill up. With DS I scheduled my induction for 41 weeks at my last appointment (40 weeks, 2 days). He came on his own at 40 weeks 6 days - I think he knew he was going to be evicted ;) 

    LOL, love the "going to be evicted". Maybe my LO will get the eviction notice! 

    image





  • image courtnif:

    I was 41w1d when we induced. I had shown no progress at all...maybe just a little thinning. I ended up with an emergency c-section because LOs heart couldn't take the pitocin. My doctor thinks she was due a little earlier than we even thought. We have had tremendous skin problems that started with all the peeling from her being overdue. There is also a higher risk of them passing meconium the longer you wait. 

    Obviously, labor is different for everyone. Full term is 40 weeks and anything after 36 is not really a preemie. There are more risks the longer you wait, and not really any reason to keep cooking after 40. 

    This is what happened to me with my 2 year old. She was 4 days overdue when I finally went into labor but she had a bowel movement and dr said it's one of the risks to letting a pregnancy go too long. But I can see how some women dont want to be induced.

    image

    image

    image

  • image Sawyerplus1:

    image erbear:
    I'd wait. No need to rush him out. Due dates are just an estimate, so as long as baby was fine (NST can show this), I wouldn't induce until 42 weeks.

    Me too. 

    Agree. a due date is just an educated guess. Without an urgent medical reason to induce it doesn't seem like an option to me. 

    EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think you need to think about this until you are 42 weeks. It's just a couple more days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I'd trust your Dr. over a bunch of strangers on the Internet. 
  • Personally, I would talk more with my doctor before making the decision. As someone above said, you can always schedule the induction as far out as you're comfortable with and then try alternate methods to jump start labor (sex, walking, and spicy foods seem to be the favorites).

    It's true that the due date is just an estimate. My doctor doesn't like waiting long past 41 weeks because of this, since all babies are different and can reach full term between 37 and 41 weeks, she wants to be very sure the baby doesn't go post-term. In the end, of course, they can do NSTs and whatnot, so it's up to you and your doctor.

     Best of luck with everything- hopefully LO will come soon on its own.  

    TTC since March 2010 BFP 11/18/11 DD born 8/6/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor won't induce until 41 weeks or later, and will leave it up to me (up to 42 weeks) on when to be induced. Different doctors have different philosophies on when to induce and why (as you can see with all of these responses). Since I know that inductions lead to higher risk of c-sections, I would hold off as long as possible (given that my baby/body weren't in distress). The "average" gestation for first time moms is actually 41w1d, so keep that in mind when making your decision.
    TTC since April 2009

    Endometriosis and MFI

    Varicocelectomy June 2010

    Laparoscopy March 2011

    IUI #1 April 2011 - BFN

    IUI #2 July 2011 - Cancelled

    IVF #1 November/December 2011, elective single embryo transfer

    Baby boy born 9-4-12, 8 lbs, 7 oz

    image
  • I would have gone 5 days past my due date and then been induced.  My OB would not let me go longer than 41 weeks.  I went into labor on my own 2 days before my EDD. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you don't have a medical neccesity to be induced or start the process, I'd talk to your Dr and stress how important it is for you to wait it out. GL!

    image 


     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

     

    Pregnancy Ticker

         [MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [LO Due 10.17.14]

  • Yes, there are increased risks of things happening.  If you insist on not letting them induce, you should have NST or BPP daily.  Have them check the placenta and blood flow.  Odds are on your side all will be fine but there is always a chance of something going wrong.

     

    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
    image
    image
  • I am having a VBAC (and they won't induce).  Even with that, my OB will let me go until 41 weeks before doing a RCS.
    ~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would ok being induced @ 41 weeks. Placenta can starts breaking down around 42 weeks.
    image

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Anniversary
  • I have my fingers crossed I won't be in this boat.  But I would have a chat with your doc about her reasons for the three-day recommendation.  As far as I know, there is no ACOG or other standard for doing it that soon, and it sounds like you've read and researched and are well-informed--bring it to the table and talk it out with your doc.  (BTW, one more great article that breaks down the risks statistically in a way even a dunce like me understands is this one: http://evidencebasedbirth.com/2012/05/03/if-you-dont-have-this-baby-by-42-weeks-we-have-to-induce/)

    Yes, she's the doc--but it's your care, your health, your body, and your baby.  Don't be shy about getting involved in the decision-making process.  Even if you end up inducing at 3 days you can feel confident about the decision. 

     BTW--You say "for an increased chance of all kinds of stuff"--does your doc mean *for you specifically* or just the standard, placentas start to degrade and babies get bigger kind of stuff? If it's for your specifically because of health issues, etc, that's something you should be in the loop on and definitely talk about!  And if it's the standard stuff, you can be monitored to make sure the baby isn't in distress and go a little longer before induction--if it's needed at all!

    image

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not at my due date yet, but since I have had ZERO progress it was brought up at my last appointment.  My doctor said he would let me go to a week overdue, then we would do an induction.  It would have to be less than that if my blood pressure increases or if there is some other problem.  Yes, due dates are estimates, however they could have estimated the other way too and the baby is just too content in there to come out on their own.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards