Breastfeeding
Options

How often should a 10 month old nurse?

A few weeks ago I posted about my baby now trying sit/stand while nursing.  She is increasingly becoming distracted while nursing.  Right now she nurses great first thing in the morning, again after her morning nap, but then the next few times she nurses are really not very good.  She is on and off the breast while babbling, and squirming around.  If I just sit with my top off she will go back and forth between playing, and popping on.  I know she isn't getting much though.  She still nurses to sleep, and that is hit or miss as far as whether or not she nurses well or is distracted.  She does wake once in the night to feed. 

She eats three meals a day, and she is a good little eater.  I just get nervous about whether or not I am getting enough milk into her.  

Is this the start of self weaning?  

Re: How often should a 10 month old nurse?

• Options
    I would say 3-4 times a day is normal.  I would say at 10 months she shouldn't be waking in the night to nurse so she may not be getting enough during the day.  Each baby is different, though.  Our pedi suggests that night feedings are not necessary after ~6 months of age. 
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    As often as she wants. I did as you did and lay on the floor with my shirt up and let DD come and go as she pleased. It was not the beginning of self weaning. She now nurses all the frickin' time again. Just follow LOs cues and as long as she is filling her diapers, basically content and continues to grow then she is doing fine. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageVABride2008:
    I would say 3-4 times a day is normal.  I would say at 10 months she shouldn't be waking in the night to nurse so she may not be getting enough during the day.  Each baby is different, though.  Our pedi suggests that night feedings are not necessary after ~6 months of age. 

My pediatrician told me that she certainly doesn't need the milk at night.  She is 75th percentile for weight. Ha ha ha.  She told me when I was ready I should eliminate the night feeding, but that it would be harder for me than it is for the baby.  I just haven't worked up the courage to do so yet.  I know it is probably just more of a habit. She has in the past month slept through the night three times, and I don't see an increase in the amount she eats the following day. 

I just feel so out of my element with this transition.  She has always been a great nurser.   Now I get nervous she isn't getting enough milk. 

• Options

imagepepomntpat:
    As often as she wants. I did as you did and lay on the floor with my shirt up and let DD come and go as she pleased. It was not the beginning of self weaning. She now nurses all the frickin' time again. Just follow LOs cues and as long as she is filling her diapers, basically content and continues to grow then she is doing fine. 

Thanks!  That is very reassuring!  

• Options
    imagecamedowncrushing:

imageVABride2008:

My pediatrician told me that she certainly doesn't need the milk at night.  She is 75th percentile for weight. Ha ha ha.  She told me when I was ready I should eliminate the night feeding, but that it would be harder for me than it is for the baby.  I just haven't worked up the courage to do so yet.  I know it is probably just more of a habit. She has in the past month slept through the night three times, and I don't see an increase in the amount she eats the following day. 

I just feel so out of my element with this transition.  She has always been a great nurser.   Now I get nervous she isn't getting enough milk. 

I know it's hard, but don't worry! If you nurse her on demand, she is getting enough milk.

Here's my take- if night feedings are working for you, no need to change anything! I still nurse LO on demand, 24 hours a day. She doesn't usually need to nurse at night, but if she wants to, I have no problem accommodating. 

Also, remember that your LO is a more proficient nurser. I remember around that time when my LO was super distractible and never seemed to have a nursing session that lasted longer than 3 minutes. Yet she was still having enough wet diapers, still hitting her milestones, and still gaining right on track (slowed down weight gain, of course, but on the right curve).

If your LO is also eating 3 meals a day, her milk intake going down some is not a problem. She knows what she needs :) Just keep offering frequently and she will drink just the right amount for her.

• Options
    My son is doing the exact same thing! He'll be playing on the floor, and I'll come down to play too, and then it's, MILK! He attacks my shirt! It cracks me up. I let him do it, it only lasts 5 seconds to a minute or so, and then he's happy as a lark. But it's all the time. He's not eating as much during scheduled nursings either, so I wonder if he's getting the good "hind milk". But I just had his 9 month check up today, and dr says he's doing great. So I'm not going to worry! And my son still gets up once at night too, to nurse, and I agree it'll be harder for me to cut that out than him. I have no desire to stop it, I'll wait for him :) These days won't last forever.
  • Options
    My LO went from 4x/day to 3x/day as he has begun consolidating naps to 1/day. Perhaps it is a change in your LOs schedule? How positive if you can be flexible (not forced by a job, etc) to let it play out! A new routine will develop perhaps?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJoyfullnoise:
    My LO went from 4x/day to 3x/day as he has begun consolidating naps to 1/day. Perhaps it is a change in your LOs schedule? How positive if you can be flexible (not forced by a job, etc) to let it play out! A new routine will develop perhaps?

We are still on a two nap schedule....most of the time.  We try for two naps a day at least.  Ha ha ha.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"