October 2012 Moms
Options

Stretch marks or veins?

I have something that looks like veins on my belly... Kinda like the ones on my boons, but I'm not sure of its that or stretch marks? Is there a way to differentiate them?

I know... Stupid question lol 

Married my best friend 09.18.11
TTC since 12.10.11, BFP #1 02.10.12
Baby E born 10/18/12. 8.5lbs and 21in of pure perfection!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blogging Endeavors:
Here Comes Mommy

Re: Stretch marks or veins?

• Options

My stretch marks didn't look anything like veins. They started out as thin purple lines, some of them stayed thin but others grew. So i would think that what you see are actually veins ....but thats just based on my personal experience.Stick out tongue and for your sake, hopefully im right!

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have veins in my stomach too but no SM yet... Knock on wood!
    Birthday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Phew! I'm terrified of those things! Lol

Married my best friend 09.18.11
    TTC since 12.10.11, BFP #1 02.10.12
    Baby E born 10/18/12. 8.5lbs and 21in of pure perfection!

My Blogging Endeavors:
    Here Comes Mommy
  • Options

(PLEASE NOTE, THESE ARE NOT PICTURES OF ME.)

In my experience veins are much more purple/blue in color. The pattern is also quite different. They are more like little rivers and tributaries on a map, flowing randomly under the skin.

I think most preggers who get vericose veins get the kind shown above, but in some extreme cases these "spider veins" can be truly disturbing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Stretch marks, on the other hand, are red-purple as opposed to blue-purple -- at least, to start with.  They appear where the skin is being stretched the most and tend to run in a roughly parallel pattern.

Rubbing shae butter on the areas you know are likely to stretch the most can help. Supposedly a bunch of super over-priced creams can help too, but I wouldn't recommend throwing your money away on anything $40+ when shae butter (the active ingredient in most of those products anway) can be found relatively cheap at most grocery stores.

Stretch marks fade as they heal, becoming silvery and a lot less ugly.

If you have as super model body, maybe you'll get some stretch marks like this lady:

Actually, those might be photoshopped. I can't really tell.

Chances are better that real life stretch marks will heal to look something like this:

Anyway, hope that helps.  I think I would rather have stretch marks than spider veins. But either way, it's not the end of the world.

- Whitney

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"