Breastfeeding

Emergency! Milk isn't coming out!

So I pumped this morning and everything was fine, I got my normal 4ish ounces total.  An hour later went to feed LO and he was extremely fussy and irritated. I noticed that there didn't seem to be any milk in his mouth from either boob. Tried hand expressing- nothing! Normally I feed every hour so my milk is usually replenished quickly. Also wasn't feeling a let down, which for me is usually very noticeable, painful even. So I figured I just needed to give it more time- waited half hour and tried again. This time worse, and LO is very mad. Went to pump to see what the problem was and nothing is coming out! I usually have oversupply so this is very strange. LO won't take the bottle or the boob right now and he is STARVING! What is going on!!!????

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Emergency! Milk isn't coming out!

• I'm no expert, but I find that if I forget to drink a ton of h2o my supply might diminish slightly.  I'd say everything is fine.  Don't panic! 
    PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't panic.  The same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago.  There was a day that I had no milk and then the next day it was back.  Drink lots of water, eat a big bowl of oatmeal, and then strip off LO and try to relax and have some skin to skin time.  The skin to skin really helped me to have a let-down when that happened. I had some milk then, and it was about 12 hours before my milk seemed to come back to normal...I still have no idea what had happened, but it's been fine since.  Good luck,

edited for clarity

• Loading the player...
  • Is it possible you are getting your period soon? My supply will tank a few days before af.
  • imagekatiewhompus:
    Is it possible you are getting your period soon? My supply will tank a few days before af.

LO is 10 weeks and I haven't had a period yet. Could I be getting one this early? I was under the impression that it takes a little longer for it to come back, but I haven't really looked that up yet. What is the average time it takes most women for their periods to return?  

• imagetjkdlhb:

Don't panic.  The same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago.  There was a day that I had no milk and then the next day it was back.  Drink lots of water, eat a big bowl of oatmeal, and then strip off LO and try to relax and have some skin to skin time.  The skin to skin really helped me to have a let-down when that happened. I had some milk then, and it was about 12 hours before my milk seemed to come back to normal...I still have no idea what had happened, but it's been fine since.  Good luck,

edited for clarity

This is so reassuring...thank you! (but I'm still panicing just a little LOL) 

• Man that would freak me out but try to relax, tenseness hinders let down so have a cup of tea and try to think about your baby/ lay skin to skin and take deep breaths.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"