Breastfeeding

Help! Fussy baby at the breast

This morning, the baby, who is normally really mellow, has been especially fussy at the breast. He was a little like this in the early days of bf, and I realized I had an oversupply issue and tried to feed him on one side until that side was empty and that seemed to help. He has a lot of gas in general so I just figured it's gas - but just wondering if it's my oversupply problem again or food that I ate... He hasn't been this fussy in a long while, so I can't figure out what is going on. He was so irritated that I ended up taking him off the right side, pumping and giving him the mixed pumped milk (mixed as in foremilk + hindmilk) hoping that would help him digest. I've read that hindmilk can help digest the foremilk, which has more lactose and can be more irritating to bellies. He seems to be taking the pumped milk better, and being less fussy, although he is still fairly gassy. Any ideas of what else I can do? Gas drops?

edit: I just gave him the side i pumped on and he seems to be fine w/ it...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Help! Fussy baby at the breast

• It's entirely possible that he's just going through a growth spurt. Two months is about right for one. Mine had the same problem with oversupply while he went through his growth spurts. He wanted to nurse, but it was too much at once. I just pumped some and then let him nurse from that same side--that way the milk wasn't pouring forth like a waterfall, but he still got to nurse. :)
  • I've been thinking this might be it. For the last week or two, he's only been sleeping in 20-45 min intervals (naps during the day, nights are fine) and today he's been napping for 2 hours at a time, which is really unusual. I wonder if it is a growth spurt after all...

imagehodonne3:
    It's entirely possible that he's just going through a growth spurt. Two months is about right for one. Mine had the same problem with oversupply while he went through his growth spurts. He wanted to nurse, but it was too much at once. I just pumped some and then let him nurse from that same side--that way the milk wasn't pouring forth like a waterfall, but he still got to nurse. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, my LO gets like that during his growth spurts too. For a while I was suspecting silent reflux but it would only last for short periods. Give it some time to see I it improves. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"