February 2013 Moms

Overly friendly cats

I have two cats and I've been taking the necessary precautions with hubby changing the litter etc, but, call me crazy, but I think they've been insecure lately because all they want to do is snuggle as close to my face as possible. If i'm sitting up, one will actually lie with his front paws on my chest and try to snuggle his head under my chin. I'll usually push them away, or try to get my husband to distract them, but they are sneaky creatures and many a night I've woken up with one of the cats snuggled right up against my head.

Very sweet and all, but I just am not comfortable with such close quarters with the kitties right now. The health of my real baby take precedence of course, but they've been kind of filling that void for a couple years now, and I really don't want to get rid of them. Does anyone else have cats? Am I being over cautious? Any tips? 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Overly friendly cats

• KCLizKCLiz member
    I have 2 cats and had them for 6 years before becoming pregnant with my first. I did stop changing the litter box. But I know my doctor wasn't super concerned because I had lived with them already for years before. I would just talk with your doctor about your concerns. And they are probably more in tune with you being pregnant right now so they want your attention. But just be careful with completely changing the way you treat them. You don't want them to rebel and start acting naughty and spraying, etc. Good luck!
    Kacie, Mommy to Owen Gregory 11/14/06 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Here is some literature from the Humane Society re: cats, pregnancy and toxoplasmosis:

https://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/toxoplasmosis.html

I have 2 cats and well. DH has taken over litter box duty. I have also noticed my cats, each 6 yrs old, being more affectionate than usual. I'm lovin' it... except for when they use my sore boobs for kneading!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKCLiz:
    You don't want them to rebel and start acting naughty and spraying, etc.  

Good point! I still love on them a lot but I'm not too keen on them being so pushy. Your post makes me feel better though. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageSpartan0627:

Here is some literature from the Humane Society re: cats, pregnancy and toxoplasmosis:

https://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/toxoplasmosis.html

I have 2 cats and well. DH has taken over litter box duty. I have also noticed my cats, each 6 yrs old, being more affectionate than usual. I'm lovin' it... except for when they use my sore boobs for kneading!

That is pretty much my cats.  Mine are both 2, but have been so lovely and sweet lately.  I was super emotional last night for no reason and all I wanted was my kitties to cuddle. My husband got one of them put him on me and he laid right down, I just about cried ( way too hormonal) But I dont mind the extra closeness, but yeah, I definitely cried out in pain when they used my poor boobs to make bread.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I swear that animals can smell when we are pregnant. My freaking dog has become attached to my hip during the night. He used to be at the foot of the bed, no problem (he is a pekingese and really little). Well, in the last week or so, the dog has become glued to my back and hip. I move him down to the end of the bed and when I get up to pee in the night, he slinks his way back. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think changing the litter box is the biggy with cats, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.  I have 2 cats.  One is about 3 the other is 13 weeks and they are both sitting with me right now.  One on each leg.  Animals can sense that something is different.  When you go for your first appointment, they will test for toxoplasmosis just as a routine test since you have cats.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Enjoy all the love they are giving you.  Also I agree with not changing your habits with them too much.  I had a cat that sprayed at one point (she is no longer with us) and it was not fun.
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/27/12 ~ m/c 11/15/11 BO
    BFP#2 6/10/12 ~ EDD 2/21/13 ~ mm/c 7/12/12 ~ D&C 7/13/12
    BFP#3 2/23/2013 ~ EDD 11/5/13 Beta#1 125, Beta#2 436, Beta#3 ???
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread because I woke up a little while ago with my Maine C oon draped around my neck/chest, and my siamese sprawled across my feet, and the second I sat at the computer, the MC draped himself across the back of the chair, and the siamese is laying on the desk in front of my monitor. They HAVE been extra lovey lately, lol!

Edited: It's funny what they censor. They bleeped C oon! lol

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • We have 7 cats total. Most of whom are barn cats but come inside to eat(we have a major raccoon problem so we can't feed them outside). I don't worry about it too much, I just have DH take care of the litter boxes.
  • What exactly do you worry is going to happen if you snuggle your cats too closely? It's not like you are licking their paws or something. Give your kitties some love! :)
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 8 weeks pregnant AND veterinary technician. I have 3 cats (in addition to 2 birds and a turtle). I work at a very busy veterinary clinic and work with many women who have had multiple pregnancies resulting in very healthy babies. My doctors are not very concerned about me having the cats (although I have stopped scooping the litter box....both for health reasons, and it's just fun to watch my husband deal with the kitty poop!;) My cats sleep on my face, lie on my belly and I do feel they know something is up because they also seem more affectionate, which I am embrassing. Of course baby comes first, but these furry babies have been around a long time and I think as long as you are being clean and safe, snuggling with kitties is very safe (and relaxing :) Just ask all my friends with healthy babies and kitty cats. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"