High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone else with low amniotic fluid/small babies?

I was put off work for a week for this and my main doctor is stating I may be off until I deliver.  I turn 26 weeks tomorrow, 7/1/12.  I'm to lay on my left side and drink as much as possible.  They are worried the baby is not growing enough and worried as to why I have low af.  I go back for my 5th ultrasound next Monday for them to check af and then they will decide what to do as far as putting me off work.  They also already had me go get sterroid shots in the event I have to deliver early.  Is anyone else going through or have been through this in the past.  I'm scared.  I don't want to lose this little guy!

TIA!

Prayers are appreciated!!

Re: Anyone else with low amniotic fluid/small babies?

• did they say you have IUGR? My son was an IUGR baby. he was born at 34 weeks & 3lbs. I was taken out of work at 26 weeks and put on modified bedrest. I got the steroid shot series at 24 weeks. My son was off the chart from 23 weeks on. I had to go to my ob once a week, and to get non stress tests (nsts) and biphysical profiles(bpps) twice a week. I also had a level 2 u/s once a week alternating with a doppler to measure the blood flow in the cord. any questions pm me.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • NP94NP94 member

I was just put on hospitalized bed rest for the next 9 weeks minimum. I'm only at 25 weeks and seem to have sprung a leak at 24 weeks. Apparently I was leaking for several days before my perinatologist detected the low level of fluid during my fetal anatomy ultrasound and basically sent me directly to the hospital. My baby is also measuring small developmentally -- 2 weeks behind in size where she should be. But so far, her functions are still on the correct schedule.

I've also gotten the steroid shots and have already started the antibiotics. I'm a little scared too...this is my first and possibly only child, and I've already had so many other complications.

I'm thinking this way, which my doctors pointed out and it helps--look at the developmental milestones: 25 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks and 34 weeks.  You and I have passed the 25 week mark, so that's excellent news already. Try to prepare yourself for the possibility of the long haul and gather ideas and supplies to keep you occupied, as well make a list of any loose ends you may need to tie up before or as you go on bed rest. And if you do go on bed rest, just mark the time by the milestones. Our babies are at one of the stages where their development grows by leaps and bounds daily, so celebrate each day that your kiddo stays put and is healthy inside of you.

Since I have not much else to do while I'm stuck here in the hospital, I'll be around lurking and looking forward to hearing your update.

I wish you all the best!

• Loading the player...
  • I've had 2 IUGR and Oligohydrominois babies. With DS2 IUGR and Oligo were found at 32 weeks. . I was put on bed rest then. I also went every 2 weeks for growth u/s. At 38 weeks he had stopped growing and my fund level was basically nothing. so they induced me. I ended up with a emergency c section. He was 17.5 in and 3lbs 15 oz. He spent 5 days in the NICU to feed and grow. Other then being small the only complication he had was at birth. Since I had little to no fluid when the doc cut me open there was nothing in between my skin and him. He ended up getting cut on the head and needing 7 stitches. But other then that He is now a happy healthy 50lb 4 year old.

I switched docs for my pregnancy with DS3. And they were way more proactive. with him the IUGR and Oligo was found at 23 weeks. Again I was put on bed rest which was not easy with a 18 month old! At 28 weeks I started weekly stress test, BPP, and growth scans. At 36 weeks he failed his BPP, the fluid was at a 4 and his growth had slowed down. I had a csection at 36 weeks and he was 4lbs 10oz and 17.5 in. He spent 4 daysin the NICU for feeding and growing and to get his tan on. He is now almost 2 and is completely healthy and around 28 lbs.

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I'll be 33 weeks tomorrow.  Last Wednesday I was told I had low fluid with AFI 5.  i was send to the hospital for a NST and the baby checked out fine.  They said he was in the 47th percentile weighing 4 lbs.  I was put on best rest and signed out of work.  I go back tomorrow to be measaured again.  I was told if it dropped below AFI 5 they would put me on hospital bed rest.  I am a little worried about tomorrow.

Prayers to you!  Sending good thoughts your way.

• Thank you so much for all of your responses!!  As of right now, they are not calling him IUGR.  I'm just wondering if tht is what it is though.  It sounds like it from what you all are describing.  I'm definately worried, but trying to take it easy - probably not as easy as I should.  I get so tired of laying on my side.  Did you all change your diet any?  I've found that I have not been eating enough protein at all.  I'm wondering if I up my intake if that may help him grow more.

Pregnancy = scary times!

• I feel ya...

26 weeks & 3 days today and my little one is measuring two weeks behind as well (fluid looks normal and she looks healthy, very active, etc...just tiny.)

I am very stressed out as well. Taking it one day at a time and hoping she's able to keep cooking for a while longer still.

I am having steroid injections done tomorrow morning, bi-weekly growth ultrasounds and weekly non-stress tests. She is currently growing, but if her progress stops I'll have to deliver early. Just crossing my fingers...They think our problem is nutrient related, so I don't know if this would help you or not...

My ob advised me to drink a ton of water and stay hydrated (7-8 16oz bottles daily) and to go swimming in a pool for an hour min. each day (not necessarily swimming, but just sitting in the pool up to chest level.) The pressure of the water is supposed to help and she has been a lot more active since I started that regimen 2 weeks ago. Planning to keep it up for as long as possible.

Best of luck to you...I know how much it sucks. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"