Pre-School and Daycare

4 year old talking with random strong southern accent?

So over the past month or so my son has been talking with very strong southern accent. I have no idea what brought this on or where he learned it. There are no people I know that tal this way or TV shows LO watches. We usually just ignore it, but lately DH has been trying to correct the way he is speaking.

Any ideas where he would be getting this or why this is happening. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 4 year old talking with random strong southern accent?

• Has he hit his head recently? Do you notice any other odd behavior?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLeila'sMommy:

Has he hit his head recently? Do you notice any other odd behavior?

No! Everything else is pretty normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Weird!  DD3 says some things sometimes that sound like she has a Southern accent too.
  • ss+elss+el member
    Sometimes DS talks with a New England accent. I'm pretty sure he picked it up because DH let him watch Family Guy once. He calls it "The Petah Show". It's amazing how much information they retain so quickly, hold on to, and regurgitate later. Your DS probably heard someone once at some point in the past and just decided it was suddenly interesting.
  • Ha I'm from Texas and my 4 year old DD sometimes speaks with a Boston accent.  Its a phase - he probably thinks its fun or is just trying out new phonics.  It'll go away when he gets bored of it or when he outgrows it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My 4y.o. is a master at impersonating people.  It's scary how he can sound exactly like the person he is imitating.  Maybe your son has a friend in class who speaks this way or he heard it on T.V. 
  • We are from the south and I swear my son talks likes he's from New York!!!
  • PeskyPesky member
    We used to joke that ours came from Italy (no, we aren't Italian) because they would talk in that stereotypical way with "a" on the end of everything.  I wouldn't worry about it.  The more you try to correct him, the more self-concious he will feel about speaking.  Let it go.  It'll correct itself over time.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"