Working Moms

Do you send food to DC for your one-year-old?

Hi, Ladies! My girls will be one in about 6 weeks. About a month after their birthday, they will start going to daycare with their big sister. They are at home with a nanny right now. When I spoke to the DCP, she said I would need to send breakfast, lunch, snacks and milk (not BM and fomula, but cow's milk) to daycare for the babies. I thought that was a little odd considering the girls will be over year old and will be able to eat pretty much anything. And I want them to be exposed to different foods. Now, if she is planning on making something that one or both of them refuses to eat, of course I will send something for them. Or even better, I would be willing to have her keep a stock of food for them just in case. Or am I being unreasonable? I don't really know how this works because DD1 stayed home with my mom until she was 18 months old and when she started daycare, she ate what the DCP served. I never sent food. What do you ladies do for your LOs? TIA!!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Do you send food to DC for your one-year-old?

• My DD goes to a licensed in-home. I do send food, but it's my choice. She provides 2 meals and a snack that she would feed to Nora if I wanted. She provides the milk, though, and I'm happy to let her do that. :)

Maybe just ask until what age you're expected to send all their food and see what she says.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• mwdmwd member

I don't know what the rules are at your daycare, but I was able to stop sending food with both kids on the day they turned one year.  But that was stated in the contract that I had with DCP.  If you have a contract, it should state what you are obliged to bring.  (Diapers, change of clothes, mine has me bring a box of kleenex per season, as both kids use them frequently)   She may be unclear as to how old your kids will be when they are starting daycare. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I never sent food, ever, even when they were tiny.  I dunno if it's just our state or what (there is a daycare food program and they are reimbursed for food expenses).  They provided pur?es while kids were still on them too, although I want to say that by 1 they were eating the regular meals that were made for everyone.
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • In order to send food from home, I have to provide a doctors note. And that's exactly what I do...Because the food they provide is crap.

I also provide the milk, because I want her to have organic and they do not provide organic.

• in my day care you have to send all food unless your LO is on table food and can get the hot lunch provided. If you dont want you child to eat said lunch that day you have to provide a nutritious alternative for you child.
  • DC provides food once they go into the toddler toom at about 16 months or so.  You can bring your own food if you want.

I send LO's own food when it is something that has cheese on it, since he can't have dairy.  And I bring in a container of almond milk for him to have since instead of the daycares milk.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageindika236:

In order to send food from home, I have to provide a doctors note. And that's exactly what I do...Because the food they provide is crap.

I also provide the milk, because I want her to have organic and they do not provide organic.

I don't have to provide a note, but this is what I do.  Our DC has always provided food (even for tiny babies), but I'm not a fan of what they offer.  We've always packed food and milk for her, and I don't really intend to stop as long as she's in DC. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Our DC provides breakfast and snack & milk & we have to provide lunch. 
  • DD is one and when she transitions to the toddler room (about 18 mos) I can sign her up for the hot lunch. In the infant room I provide all her food. I'm not sure how you figure daycare food means your daughter will be exposed to different foods than you could provide her with.
    Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No,but they feed him good food.  If they fed him crap, I would.  I did send purees when he was eating those. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageesperanza123:
    DD is one and when she transitions to the toddler room (about 18 mos) I can sign her up for the hot lunch. In the infant room I provide all her food. I'm not sure how you figure daycare food means your daughter will be exposed to different foods than you could provide her with.

Well, if they ate what she served, they would get eggs, toast, oatmeal - hot foods that I wouldn't whip up and send with them for the DCP to reheat.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We also have to get special permission to bring our own food. She eats what they serve. I'm not one of those parents who flips out about the occasional cookie or juice snack.
  • imageNechie122:
    We also have to get special permission to bring our own food. She eats what they serve. I'm not one of those parents who flips out about the occasional cookie or juice snack.

Occasional, no. Daily, yes. Well, not "flip out", but it's not what I would choose to give her, which is why I continue to send her food for now. Wink

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• DS goes to an in home day care.  We send one food item a week (each parent does) - anything from bread, cookies, fruit, juice, etc.  She provides the meals.

When DS was a baby, we just sent the formula and baby food. 

• I have never heard of that.  Most of the time they provide the meals except if the parents prefer to send their own food.  I would ask just to be sure why they are requiring that.
  • Our DC doesn't provide food in the infant room, which goes until 15-18 months. Even after that I'll send lunch,  they only provide snacks.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Our center requires lunch to be sent in for all kids, and snacks for the little ones, at least through the toddler years.  I like controlling what she eats, who knows what they would feed her there (and I have seen some horror stories on this board.)

We send a hot lunch, DD loves chicken sausage with pinto beans right now.  I also send a cheddar cheese stick, cut-up fruit or a pouch of pur?ed fruit & veggies, and fruit leather for snacks. 

• No i dont send food. DS started daycare when he was 3 months old, they provided the formula too. They asked what kind and they got it for him. Now they provide all meals, snacks and juice etc. They do give him very good food tghough. If they didnt i would send my own.

I think its all about what you pay for it, I found centers that didnt provide any formula or food that were cheaper. I didnt choose this center because of food , but it helps. Of course Im paying like $150 a month more than the other ones I found, but its a 4star center so its all worth it.

• Yes - the meal plan doesn't start until 18 months at our DC.  I think b/c of allergies and kids being at different stages of being able to handle food without choking, they tend to be hesitant to feed kids under that age. 
  • Pips09Pips09 member

Yes, but my almost-one-year-old is not eating table foods yet. So I send her purees and some puffs for snacks. Once she starts eating regular table foods for all meals, she can eat what daycare provides.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• imageNechie122:
    We also have to get special permission to bring our own food. She eats what they serve. I'm not one of those parents who flips out about the occasional cookie or juice snack.

My children eat more food at daycare than they do at home.  The meals/snacks that they eat at daycare is not "occasional" food, rather that's their "regular".  You better believe that I am going to provide exactly what I prefer them to be eating more of daily for there.  They can have the "occasional" treat at home/weekends.  

I provide all of my childrens' meals and snacks daily.  I've never been to a center that provides all the meals or snacks though.  That's never been a huge requirement for me.  I will be packing my kids' lunches for the next decade or more so it's really not that big of a deal for me to do so now.  They pretty much eat the same thing every day, with some variety for seasonal produce.

Two kids..5 and 2
  • My daycare provides all food once they are on table food.
  • I provided BM for DS until he was on WCM. Our daycares have always provided food once the kiddos are on table food. Our in home daycare sends out a weekly menu. We have the option of bringing our own if we know DS won't eat something or if we want him to eat something else.

Is it possible your daycare is worried about allergies? I know part of our contract is that we list any foods we haven't tried with DS or any allergies.

• Kie310Kie310 member
    I have always had to send lunch and milk to DC (they provide 2 snacks a day, I also send snacks for lunch time). I don't find it odd I have to send everything.
  • BLM10BLM10 member
    He was in a church-run center from 7m-12m and I sent his food because he has allergies and intolerances AND I didn't like their options. Now he goes to an in-home 2 days a week and I send still.
  • Does the DCP participate in the USDA food program? If so, they receive a stipend to provide the meals for you, so you shouldn't have to provide food. 

I go to an in-home and all meals & snacks are covered by the fee I pay & the USDA program.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • At 1 year, I sent breakfast (because it wasn't provided) but nothing else. Before that I made and sent purees. Once he started eating table food, he had what they had and thankfully, our DCP gets food catered from a company that does organic, local food so I felt good about it.
  • I think its all about what you pay for it, I found centers that didnt provide any formula or food that were cheaper. I didnt choose this center because of food , but it helps. Of course Im paying like $150 a month more than the other ones I found, but its a 4star center so its all worth it.

I don't know if it's all about how much you pay. DD is in a Montessori school and I'm paying for her teacher with a bachelor's degree and for the small class size.
    Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I send food for my kids.
  • When my son was 8 weeks to 1 year, I brought everything to the daycare. Once he turned one and went to the one year old room, all I has to bring was his cup each day for milk (which he starts the day with on the way there) and they provided everything. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"