School-Aged Children

What size backpack for Kindergarten

For example, PBK - the small or large?  Small is 15 inches and large is 17 inches.  The small says for 43-47 inches, DS is about 45 inches so that is the size they recommend but I wanted to see if others agree.  Thanks
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: What size backpack for Kindergarten

• As a teacher I wanted my kinders to have a full size backpack.  They need to be able to fit in their library books so they don't get damaged.  The children almost never put anything heavy in them so the weight isn't an issue.  In the 5 years I taught K I only had 1 child come with a preschool size backpack - the book fitting in was an issue right away.
    imageimage
  • Definitely buy the larger one.  Your child will need room for projects, most likely a folder, worksheets.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAGmomof3:
    As a teacher I wanted my kinders to have a full size backpack.  They need to be able to fit in their library books so they don't get damaged.  The children almost never put anything heavy in them so the weight isn't an issue.  In the 5 years I taught K I only had 1 child come with a preschool size backpack - the book fitting in was an issue right away.

The small one is actually bigger than a preschool one which is why I was not sure. He wants one that has a clip of some sort to attach a lunchbox.  

• Full size, the only time I use the PreK onw is for snacks/road trips
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLittlejen22:

imageAGmomof3:
    As a teacher I wanted my kinders to have a full size backpack.  They need to be able to fit in their library books so they don't get damaged.  The children almost never put anything heavy in them so the weight isn't an issue.  In the 5 years I taught K I only had 1 child come with a preschool size backpack - the book fitting in was an issue right away.

The small one is actually bigger than a preschool one which is why I was not sure. He wants one that has a clip of some sort to attach a lunchbox.  

I just wanted to add a word of warning about their back packs.  I ordered the kind with the attaching lunchbox last year for DD and the second day we had it the straps that attach the lunchbox completely unraveled.  It was like they just disintegrated.   

• Ditto full sized.  On days when it's chilly in the morning and hot by afternoon bus time, he'll need room to stuff his jacket in there too.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imageBlondieBee:
    imageLittlejen22:

imageAGmomof3:

I just wanted to add a word of warning about their back packs.  I ordered the kind with the attaching lunchbox last year for DD and the second day we had it the straps that attach the lunchbox completely unraveled.  It was like they just disintegrated.   

Thanks, good to know. I think we are going to order a Land End one, they have similar sizing of preschool,medium, large. So I guess we should order large. Thanks ladies. 

• My DS has a Land's End large backpack and matching lunchbox.  It's held up well through K and 1st.  I'd certainly recommend it.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • DD1 has this size backpack from Lands End. She was about 46" at the start of kindergarten last year. I'd definitely go with the larger backpack.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • WahooWahoo member
    Another recommendation for the larger.  My kids don't get a new backpack every year - they have to use the same one 2 years in a row, so even if it was ok for kindergarten, it's too small for 1st grade when there are folders and projects coming home.
    image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"