Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sleep Training...could use some advice please...

Hi everyone...we could use some advice on how to get our 7 month old to fall asleep on his own...

Earlier this week we broke his habit of waking in the middle of the night for a bottle...it was a torturous night for us listening to him but we comforted him without a bottle for about 45 minutes and once he fell back to sleep he was fine and hasn't woken up in the middle of the night since (I know we are very lucky it was only one night!)

However, we think that this change in his nighttime sleep pattern has altered both his day and night sleep pattern, making him extra cranky around bed time. We are going to try to start bedtime earlier to see if it helps but he relies on being held and having a bottle to fall asleep. 

We give him the bottle in the rocker and he falls asleep after he has finished it and burped before we lay him down.

We want to hold off a bit with a method of getting him to fall asleep on his own until he has been sleeping through the night for a week or two since we think too much at once might be more than he can handle. 

Please if anyone has any suggestions or advice on what worked (or didn't work) for you that would be great! 

Thanks so much!  

Re: Sleep Training...could use some advice please...

• He can handle it. I would feed him his bottle, watch for signs of sleepiness (for us it's eye rubbing and crankiness and not wanting to do anything, time for bed!) and put him down. He might fuss and cry, but he will fall asleep. A night or two of fussing, and you will have a baby that falls asleep on his own!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello,Babies get upset because they are tired and they have to learn to fall asleep. At bed time, sleep training is a lot harder than in the middle of the night because the baby had some sleep already. We as adult do not STTN. We wake up several times and we get comfy before we fall asleep again. Babies have to learn that and we get to teach them. I find it important to teach my baby that he can be in his crib, alone and awake an that's is ok. If he whines a lot or cries loudly, I get him, feed him and leave him in his crib awake. He plays with his feet and scratches the mesh bumpers, rolls a little and goes to sleep. I watch the whole thing from my room. I have a camera in his room. Start by giving him plenty of alone time in his crib. It is hard to fall asleep when stressed but at some point or another you will have to do it so your baby can learn.
  • Loading the player...
  • We just got the Ferber book and love it. Our little one is 7 months today and this sleep training method has worked so well. I would suggest reading the book, it really gave me peace of mind about sleep training and helped it make sense. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Go buy the book Sleep Easy Solution! It is not that expensive, about 10-15 dollars and changed my life, LOL. It will give you ways to help your LO fall asleep on its own and also STTN. The best part is it speaks to the emotional aspect (how hard it was that one night you didn't give a bottle) of sleep traininng. My little guy went from having to nurse to sleep and waking 2-3 times a night to putting himself to sleep (last bottle at 6pm and bedtime is 7pm) and sleeps from 7pm-6:30/7am :-). I know it sounds lame but soooooo worth it!
  • I always fed on demand, then around 4 months sometimes LO slept past her 'scheduled' wake up times overnight. I just shoved a binki in her mouth and over the course of a few weeks pushed the 4am feeding back to 5, then 6, then 7am. As for falling asleep I put her down in her crib, giver her a kiss and walk away. She's asleep within 5 minutes. I don't go by the clock for a bed time. I go by how she is acting. As soon as she gets fussy and starts rubbing her eyes she is in the crib within 10 minutes. 
  • k2westk2west member

imageiverske9:
    Go buy the book Sleep Easy Solution! It is not that expensive, about 10-15 dollars and changed my life, LOL. It will give you ways to help your LO fall asleep on its own and also STTN. The best part is it speaks to the emotional aspect (how hard it was that one night you didn't give a bottle) of sleep traininng. My little guy went from having to nurse to sleep and waking 2-3 times a night to putting himself to sleep (last bottle at 6pm and bedtime is 7pm) and sleeps from 7pm-6:30/7am :-). I know it sounds lame but soooooo worth it!

I agree! We've had a lot of success using the Sleep Easy Solution (but we bought the dvd...too sleep deprived to read a book! lol)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemeganjoey0728:
    We just got the Ferber book and love it. Our little one is 7 months today and this sleep training method has worked so well. I would suggest reading the book, it really gave me peace of mind about sleep training and helped it make sense. Good luck!

This method also worked for us. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"