Breastfeeding

Night weaning?

I am literally going to lose my s#%t if DS does not start going back to sleeping through the night. I am starting to think he is up for a feed out of routine. He wants to be nursed back to sleep if he wakes. Driving me BATTY. He does take a pacifier but it won't calm him. Last night he was up at 11 p.m., 12:30, 2:45 a.m. and again at 5 a.m then woke up for the day at 7:30. I was able to calm him with susshing, patting and rocking the first time, the 12:30 one he soothed himself. The second two wakings, he wanted to eat. He has been on solids for almost two months. He gets three meals a day. There is no need for him to be up more than once for a feed (if at all). How do I wean at night? Any suggestions?

By the way, he just started pushing himself up into a sitting position and is leaning to crawl. Don't know if this is affecting him and his sleeping. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Night weaning?

• AmyRIAmyRI member

DS STTN from 2.5 to about 4 months. Then the 4 month growth spurt started, and honestly never stopped. He just kept waking up at night. At our 6th month pedi appointment, she suggested we night wean to get everyone to sleep at least 8 hours each night. She said that if he is truly hungry, he will make up the calories nursing more during the day. If he's waking out of habit, he'll just stop the night feedings and keep the daytime the same - which is what happened.

We followed Ferber's method (loosely) and I had better luck making DH go in to soothe him so feeding wasn't an option. Within a week, we were all STTN again and it felt amazing.

Developmental milestones or illness always derail us a little, but in general he sleeps through the night and he no longer gets fed between 8pm and 5am. It's worked great and his thighs are still plenty chunky :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • imageAmyRI:

DS STTN from 2.5 to about 4 months. Then the 4 month growth spurt started, and honestly never stopped. He just kept waking up at night. At our 6th month pedi appointment, she suggested we night wean to get everyone to sleep at least 8 hours each night. She said that if he is truly hungry, he will make up the calories nursing more during the day. If he's waking out of habit, he'll just stop the night feedings and keep the daytime the same - which is what happened.

We followed Ferber's method (loosely) and I had better luck making DH go in to soothe him so feeding wasn't an option. Within a week, we were all STTN again and it felt amazing.

Developmental milestones or illness always derail us a little, but in general he sleeps through the night and he no longer gets fed between 8pm and 5am. It's worked great and his thighs are still plenty chunky :)

Like this.  After a few nights of CIO (using Ferber as a general plan), DS is sleeping much longer stretches.  I'll even see him wake up (our monitor senses movement), watch him sqiurm around for a few minutes, and then go back to sleep.  Amazing!  As hard as CIO can be, it works for a lot of babies.

We had to re-train after illness, teething, and him learning to roll around, but he re-trains pretty easily.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Loading the player...
  • My 1 1/2 yr old son wakes up like that to. I think he just needs comfort and closness as I STILL breastfeed.

What you need to ask is WHY do you want to night wean? Breastmilk is still a very important food no matter if he already started solids. You should breastfeed right before giving the solids as breastfmilk is still the MAIN source of food untile age 1 yrs old. You should breast feed 1 to 3 times at night, babies need more then 3 meals a day. If you ask a docter or just read parents magazines they all say breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack so that is about 6 meals a day.

Your baby is so young to he may just want to cuddle with you and be comfortded. Babies don't stay young or little forever. He will outgrow it, but try to cuddle/hold/breastfeed him while you can. I know its tough, but you will get used to it, I have and I breastfeed all 4 of my kids :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"