Babies on the Brain

Reading "What to Expect..." ??

I am planning to get off of BCP in August and will be actively TTC in October. Would it be getting too ahead of myself to start reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting"? Any thoughts?
Peace, love and light.

Re: Reading "What to Expect..." ??

• I'd read Taking Charge of Your Fertility first. As for pg books, I think people have recommended the mayo clinic book. I guess WTEWYE is a bit alarmist on things that could go wrong.
    imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • I just started on it and I'm not TTC quite yet.

I don't have any other books for comparison, BUT- it has lots of good little pointers about pre-conception health (some common sense things like starting on a prenatal, but also something I'd never heard, that getting lots of vitamin B6 before you're pregnant can sometimes help ward off morning sickness). In general though, I want the nitty-gritty facts well before I'm KU'd. 

PP said that it's a bit alarmist- I don't know I'd call it that (yet), but it does have a lengthy section on possible pregnancy complications that is a little terrifying. But it does try to keep things in perspective as far as rarity of such problems, recurrence, avoidance, etc, so I don't think it's bad info to read about even if the vast majority of people won't have to worry about most of the issues in the book. 

The one section though that I'm absolutely glad to be ahead on- pregnancy diet. I'm well aware of the fact that I don't get enough of certain essential nutrients and they give a lot of great suggestions on filling daily values. I figure it's best to start gradually trying to change my eating habits over the next couple months rather than abruptly doing it later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Very outdated and full of misinformation.
  • I second Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It will help you to understand how your body works so you're well informed as you begin your TTC journey. Good luck!
  • I didn't even make it through What To Expect when I was actually pregnant. I'd skip it for now and later. If anything, it's good if you have a sudden question on whether or not something is normal but for the most part it's not interesting and doesn't flow well.
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week or the Mayo Clinic Guide to Pregnancy are much better/more digestible reads w/o all the alarmist freaking out and worst-case-scenario-isms.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • The ABSOLUTE best pregnancy book to read is "The Pregnancy Bible".  It has everything from getting pregnant to being pregnant to caring for your infant.  I STRONGLY recommend reading this book.  I found WTEWYE not very informative or up to date.  I didn't even read all of the book.  I just skimmed it every so often.  I read the Pregnancy bible cover to cover, each time I was pregnant and still am reading it with this third pregnancy. 

THE PREGNANCY BIBLE - GET IT!

Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LiLi23LiLi23
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image DebateThis:

Your Pregnancy Week by Week or the Mayo Clinic Guide to Pregnancy are much better/more digestible reads w/o all the alarmist freaking out and worst-case-scenario-isms.

I second both of these. They're so much better than WTE.  

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• I liked your preganancy week by week and I didn't mind WTE, i just didn't think it was awesome.

I also liked going on babycenter.com each week and reading info there.

Toddler meets Tiger Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image biomaj5:
    I'd read Taking Charge of Your Fertility first. As for pg books, I think people have recommended the mayo clinic book. I guess WTEWYE is a bit alarmist on things that could go wrong.

Thus. TCOYF was a huge help in making me more aware of my fertility, which I think made it easier for me to know when I would be likely to conceive. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Mysterious_wife:
    Very outdated and full of misinformation.

This.

Also, it's very "western medicine" focused IMO.

"Fvuck 'em if they can't take a joke." - Bette Midler Boom Shaka Laka Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Todd&Laura:

image biomaj5:
    I'd read Taking Charge of Your Fertility first. As for pg books, I think people have recommended the mayo clinic book. I guess WTEWYE is a bit alarmist on things that could go wrong.

Thus. TCOYF was a huge help in making me more aware of my fertility, which I think made it easier for me to know when I would be likely to conceive. 

Ditto to both of these.  I also liked Babycenter.com's weekly emails about developement when I am expecting.  DH also likes to get the emails so I fwd to him as well.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.