Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

trouble getting my little one to eat

It seems that I am having trouble getting my 14 month old to eat. she is only 25-50th percentile for weight. she used to eat great but now not so much. Any tips that have worked for you?

Re: trouble getting my little one to eat

• We let her eat off the floor.  No lie. 

But that's probably not what you're looking for, eh?  Can you butter stuff she does eat? Like buttered noodles, veggies, etc?  Try avocado or other high-fat options?  

That said, 25th-50th for weight isn't that bad.  Why's that a problem?  My youngest kiddo was below 20th for weight from 9 months of age forward.  She's a healthy, active, average sized 9 year old now. . .  

• My DS prefers eating off the floor. He throws his food on the floor, tells me he's done so I'll put him down, then sits down to eat what's on the floor. One of the many good reasons I have right now to NOT get a dog. (Or would that be a reason TO get a dog? I don't know.)

Is she falling off of her own growth curve or has she always been that size? A lot of toddlers go through phases where they don't eat much. When they're not in growth spurts, they don't need a whole lot and they prefer to be exploring. What foods does she like? Can you add in things like avocado or nut butters? Those can add some healthy fat to her diet and can be eaten pretty quickly. Another question to look at is what she's drinking? If she's drinking a lot of juice then cutting that out could free up some room for some healthy calories. It's hard to know what to tell you without knowing what she's already eating. But if she's on the same growth curve that she's always been on, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• image grr_aargh:

We let her eat off the floor.  No lie. 

But that's probably not what you're looking for, eh?  Can you butter stuff she does eat? Like buttered noodles, veggies, etc?  Try avocado or other high-fat options?  

That said, 25th-50th for weight isn't that bad.  Why's that a problem?  My youngest kiddo was below 20th for weight from 9 months of age forward.  She's a healthy, active, average sized 9 year old now. . .  

That's what I was thinking.  I think my kid's something like 10th percentile because he just does.not.sit.still.  And I think he inherited his uncle's metabolism.

OP - do you only feed things you eat/like or only things you THINK she'll like?  Lots of kids like things with more spice that we expect and my kid loves cottage cheese, which I gag over.  He also won't touch a steamed veggie but if I roast it with a little garlic and cheese, he's all over it.  Shake things up a bit and see if that helps.

imagePhoto: Baby brothers :)
  • We generally don't have a problem getting her to eat (though vegetables are still an issue here and there), but her doctor always mentions at her check ups that if she does go through a phase where she doesn't eat much at a meal to not freak out.  They won't starve themselves, and may eat more the next day.  She said to look more at the big picture of what she eats over a week instead of just a meal at a time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 25-50th percentile for weight is average and perfectly normal. There is no reason to butter up their food.

Eventually, kids stop taking in as much food, their energy needs are not as high in the 2nd year bc they are no longer growing at such a fast rate.

The best thing you can do is relax and keep offering healthy foods at mealtime. Cut back on juice and even milk if she's getting more than the recommended amount can help.

If you are really concerned talk to your pedi. 

DD#1 12/30/08 DD#2 5/3/11
  • KC_13KC_13
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary

Unless your child is off the charts for height, I would not be concerned with her weight. Heck, my DD is in the 8th percentile for weight/60th for height and I still don't worry.

In terms of encouraging healthy eating habits, just keep offering healthy foods. Offer the healthiest foods when she is most hungry, then offer things you know she will eat last. Kids need to be exposed to something 10+ times before they will eat it in a lot of cases so keep that in mind. 

Also, every child goes through picky stages or stages where they don't need to eat a whole lot of food, so try not to worry too much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 25-50% isn't bad for weight - I'd be thrilled if my peanut was somewhere in that range and could get higher than the 3%!  That being said, maybe you could try offering her more frequent but smaller meals, or offer more of a variety of foods (maybe new things will entice LO to eat).  It could also be a passing phase - we're having a hard time with eating right now too, and I'm chalking it up to a phase.

eta