Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Need help with 2 things.

# 1: LO still drinks out of a bottle. I have been trying to transition to a sippy cup. She will use cups to drink everything else but her milk. I have tried to pour the milk in front of her into the cups so she sees me. She will take the cup take one sip and throw it and ask for BABA. Any tips on making transition easier?

# 2. LO is almost 14 months and still sleep with us. ANy tips or transitioning to her room?

Re: Need help with 2 things.

• 1.  Sounds like she's keeping it up because you're giving in and letting her have the bottle when she complains.  I say just quit cold turkey. Cups or nothing, she'll eventually give in.  She's already proven to you that she knows how to use sippy cups cuz she uses them for everything else. 

2. No suggestions here - I'm working on transitioning my 21mo old currently...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think in both cases you decide you're going to take the bottle away/put her in her crib, prepare for a few days of h*ll and stay consistent.  It will get better if you stay consistent.  I'm not saying it's easy but they will get used to a new normal.

• This could be a UO, but I believe both of these issues can be solved simply by refusing to give in. Brace yourself for 3 days-week of total hell, but then...it's over. They accept and move on once they see it's absolutely not going to change. I would NOT suggest doing them at the same time, however. I would space them apart by at least a month.

This is my siggy. Love it.

• I agree with others on cold turkey for everything.  You are the adult, so if you want something done, you gotta take matters into your own hands.  Being without a bottle or your bed is going to be upsetting to her, but you aren't hurting her.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Venus04d:
    This could be a UO, but I believe both of these issues can be solved simply by refusing to give in. Brace yourself for 3 days-week of total hell, but then...it's over. They accept and move on once they see it's absolutely not going to change. I would NOT suggest doing them at the same time, however. I would space them apart by at least a month.

This.

If it were me I'd do the bed thing first, then worry about the bottle in a few weeks.

ETA my pedi said not to worry about getting rid of the bottle till 15 months, which is why I'd do the sleep issue first and deal with the bottle later. The first few nights will be horrible and you will likely be up a bunch of times, but stay strong and eventually she will sleep in her crib.

• Thanks for the suggestions. That is what I think I am going to do. I love how pediatricians all have different advise. At her 12 month check up he said off bottle by 13 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards