September 2012 Moms

Restaurant Pet Peeves

I was reading an article by the San Francisco Gate's food critic where he listed his pet peeves for eating in a restaurant.  Some of them were things like waiting to be seated until your full party is there and excessively loud music in the dining room. 

What are the things that tick you off when you go out to eat?

I hate it when the server asks me every 5 minutes if everything is ok.   Also, please bring me more bread.  I love carbs and don't have shame.

Hannah born 9/19/12
Eve born 7/21/2014

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/1742909_370626026429449_1365031072_n.jpg http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/915714_438698972935765_323253725_n.jpg

Re: Restaurant Pet Peeves

• When servers are over at the table asking me a million times if everything is OK.  Also if you see that my glass is empty (with something that has a free refill) just bring me one, especially if I am still eating dont ask just bring

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate it when we're out with all the kids and the server takes +/- 19 hours to get our drinks before taking our order.  The kids are only going to sit here while hungry being well-behaved for so long.  Please hurry with putting our order in to the kitchen. 

Also, I cannot stand when they bring the kids' meals out before ours.  This does NOT help.  Then they are done 15 minutes before we are and we have to spend the remainder of our meal trying to tell the kids to be good while we finish eating.  Bring everything out at the same time.

Lots of love, hugs, and luck to my IRL KU(!!) BFPB Bunny and all the Golden Girls!
  • It bothers me when a waiter/waitress asks if I need change. Unless I state otherwise, then yes - I want my change!

Another thing is when they say "no problem". Well that's a good thing... cause it's your job, and it shouldn't be a problem!

image image

• I hate when you aren't done with your meal yet and they hover around asking if they can take your plate.  I also hate when they box up your food.  I would much rather box it myself.  Just bring me the box.
  • My DH hates when they ask you what you want to drink the second your butt hits the seat. He gets so annoyed.

I don't mind it. Unless you're ordering a cocktail/wine and need to look at a drink menu, they all pretty much have the same beverages. How hard is it to quickly decide if you want a water, soda, etc.?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• The whole waiting until your whole party is there thing is annoying. I can understand waiting if one person's waiting for a 10-person table...but if everyone but one person is there, and they still make you wait, that makes me want to leave.

I've had way too many instances of waiters only coming to my table a handful of times - to take my drink order, take my food order, bring the food and bring the check. No refills, no checking to make sure everything is good, nothing. That annoys me, too.

________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• samk213samk213
    1000 Comments

I get a little annoyed when the hostess seats us and then stands there with the menus while I struggle my DS into his highchair and buckle and get him set up.  It sometimes takes a while to get DS situated and all the while she is standing there with menus.  I usually just tell them to leave the menus on the table, I don't need them to hand them to me.

I hate it when we get a waitress who will take our order and then we never see her again, someone else brings the food out, someone else brings drinks, no one checks back to see if we need anything, etc.

• When there's no salt on the table. I've been experiencing this more and more lately, and as someone who likes a lot of salt on everything, it drives me crazy. Usually what happens is I don't notice there's no salt until after the server brings my food and leaves. So now, I have to either eat my bland food or stare at it starving until the server happens to come back. I try to carry salt packets in my purse now. :)

Also, when food isn't appropriately hot or cold. If it's something cooked, it makes me wonder whether it was properly heated in the first place or has just been sitting too long (in either case, that's not okay with me!). If it's something cold (like yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.), I wonder whether it's been refrigerated properly. I've always been a food safety nutjob, but of course I'm even more paranoid now.

Speaking of food safety, I was out to dinner a couple weeks ago at a restaurant where the kitchen was in full view and I happened to notice that the guy grilling the meats was touching the raw meat with his hands and then using his unwashed hands to toss salads and plate the cooked meat. Surprise

• 1.  When my waitress asks me "How's the food?" within two minutes of it being delivered to the table.  Half the time, I haven't even taken a bite.

2.  Being seated super close to other patrons.  If I can reach out and touch someone who is not in my own party with my short T-Rex arms, we have a problem.

• I agree on the "do you need change?" question. Coming from the UK where tipping isn't just presumed to happen, it bugs me that when I give a $50 bill for a $39 cheque that you'd presume that the $11 is for you. Yes, I'm tight fisted I know :P

Being asked all the time "Is everything alright?" especially within minutes of receiving the food, but on the other hand not having someone to come and check if things are alright is also really annoying - fine balance there.

• image chattabox:

IAlso, I cannot stand when they bring the kids' meals out before ours.  This does NOT help.  Then they are done 15 minutes before we are and we have to spend the remainder of our meal trying to tell the kids to be good while we finish eating.  Bring everything out at the same time.

This, everything else I can live with.  I was a waitress, just from reading everyone's response you can tell that everyone has different preferences and one server isn't going to make everyone happy.  Some people want their drinks right away, some people feel rushed, some people don't see their server enough, some people see them too much.  Some people want the bread to keep coming, other people get mad because their kids fill up.  You really can't win.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I'm in a booth with another booth directly behind, it makes me crazy when other patrons (usually men) put their arms up on the back of the booth like I'm not sharing it with them. Then I have to rub up all over their hairy man arms. Shudder.

Also servers who talk incessantly to us. Like more than just "Hi, how are you, is everything ok?" I don't really need to know about your personal life. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image MomtobeNJ:

My DH hates when they ask you what you want to drink the second your butt hits the seat. He gets so annoyed.

I don't mind it. Unless you're ordering a cocktail/wine and need to look at a drink menu, they all pretty much have the same beverages. How hard is it to quickly decide if you want a water, soda, etc.?

I like to lookat the drink prices before ordering drinks. Some places charge $2.50 for a soda/sweet tea...thats ridiculous! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Having waited tables in college, I feel for servers and try to be understanding.  But here are some issues that still irk me to no end:

Being overattentive at the beginning of the meal, then taking 30 minutes to bring the check when we're done. 

Taking away plates too quickly.  Sometimes I like to pick at the plate at the end.  I'll signal when I'm done by stacking my fork and napkin on top.

Letting too much or too little ice into the water glass when refilling from the pitcher.

Bringing the next course out when we aren't done with the previous course. 

Taking my glass away when giving me a refill.  Bring a new glass and then take the old one.   

• SupasmSupasm
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    When your server has no personality until it is time to pay and tip. 
  • I am that person that asks for DD's meal to come out first. Maybe since she's younger, it's different, but she needs something to pick on while we wait on our meals that take longer to prepare.

I hate when servers talk in server speak to patrons. We had a horrendous Mother's Day dinner experience and the waitress said, "Well, I fired your food..." That means jack crap to my parents. I understood, but only cause I've been there.

Pointing fingers at the kitchen or blaming the food runner. Also from the same experience mentioned above. Just take ownership and deal.

Putting hot plates or full glasses in front of a toddler. You're asking for issues with this one. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Asking if it's okay a minute after it's brought out. I didn't even get to take a bite!

Going MIA the rest of the meal while I sit there with an empty glass. I've had to steal my DH's glass numerous times and I only get a water usually! Give me a dang pitcher or something, I'm pregnant and thirsty! lol.

I also hate when I have to ask for something 3 times when I asked super politely the first time.

Keep the bread coming. I don't care if my meals out too, sometimes the bread is the best part at a certain restaurant. 

When waitstaff sees I'm only ordering "small" so they decide I'm not going to give a good tip and ignore me. I've had it happen, my mom and I stopped for a quick bite, just got an app and ate that, she turned super rude for the rest of the meal.

If I have great service, I'm going to tip good, If I'm a super pain in the a$$ (I try not to be), I'll usually tip good for being an inconvenience, but once you give me attitude or rudeness, I might just change my mind and give you nothing!

When food is cold. DH and I were at a local place where the apps were the only hot thing. Then the cooks kept coming out to the dining room and going back, they just wore jeans and a tshirt, no aprons and they didn't wash hands! I went to college for culinary/pastry and I'm a big stickler on kitchen sanitation.

Now I'm hungry lol

You and I may not be perfect, but we're perfect for each otherAnniversary Pregnancy Ticker having a baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • I may be the only one, but I hate that so many restaurants give olive oil with bread without offering butter.  I love butter, and always forget to ask for it when the bread first comes out.  DH has been asking for me lately though.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PokedotPokedot
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

Either not enough attention from the server or too much. Its not hard to come every say 10-15 minutes or so. Also I hate when I have a female server which is most times and they make no contact with me but look my DH right in the eyes...I'm the one paying lady ;P And last but not least, when there are screaming children...I realize I'm a FTM and my day will come but there are times when parents will let the child cry and scream while the rest of us are trying to enjoy a peaceful meal. Bring the child to the bathroom or out to the car but not in the restaurant. You can tune him out, I can't!

• I hate when the waitress is rude. I also hate when they refill my drink without asking! This really bothers me for some reason! Well actually I do know because most the time they charge you for a refill you didn't even want or drink! And they don't offer cups to go! I am talking about a specific restaraunt I'm not saying all don't have to go cups because most do. The chinese restaraunt in our town is just a bad experience and that's where my family likes to go for celebrations! Ick.

imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image ATMmom324:
    I hate when you aren't done with your meal yet and they hover around asking if they can take your plate.  I also hate when they box up your food.  I would much rather box it myself.  Just bring me the box.

I always ask them to bring the box over.  Went out with the fam. years ago and the server dropped our pizza he was boxing up, somehow caught it on his foot, and then proceded to put it in the box.  Apparently he didn't realize I saw the whole thing and told my parents.  Don't like my food out of view since then.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image  

• When a server touches my husband...totally erks me and I beg DH to let me write the tip :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards