1st Trimester

C-section vs VDelivery?

I always figured I'd try to avoid a c-section if possible, not being cut open sounded better than the alternative. However, the more I hear about what happens during the aftermath/healing/time it takes to be regular down there...I'm terrified! Does anyone have info-advice to weigh in? This may seem silly, but is it really 3 mo until you can have sex again?

Re: C-section vs VDelivery?

• Are you looking to do an elective c-sec just to avoid things getting wacky down there? I had a c-sec, and the recovery sucked, but I got the green light for sex at 6 weeks. So did most of the people I know who had vag deliveries. I just didn't WANT to have sex for MONTHS afterwards.

Also, don't do a c-sec just to avoid "aftermath" down there. A natural vag birth is MUCH preferred than major abdominal surgery. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member

A c-section is major surgery- I'm sure you understand the risks invovled.  Sometimes a c-section is necessary but its only after your/baby health outweighs the risks.  Not to mention, you have a lot more restrictions after a c-section than a vaginal.  As for sex- some doctors say 6 weeks (I've never heard 3 months).  Mine said whenever I'm comfortable (I never tore) and when I have stopped bleeding (that lasted @ 10 days).  I was comfortable at week 3.  But to be honest, if I had a choice of a vagnial birth and not having sex for 3 months vs. a c-section, I'd still choose vaginal. 

• Loading the player...
  • If your doctor would actually do an elective c-section just to preserve the sanctity of your vag, you need a new doctor. Just FYI.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, you don't really get to choose, so this isn't something you should worry about now.  Just let things progress and if a C-section is necessary, deal with it then.

Honestly I didn't think the c-sec was that bad, even the recovery. I may choose it over a Vbac for the reason I get 2 more weeks of short term disability pay.... 

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lol, maybe i need to clarify that i'm not getting an "option" i'm only interested in hearing both sides! most of the women in my family ended up w/ c-sections. i simply curious, as i recently was told about someone having to wait about 3 months. 
  • It just depends.  I had a small baby so my healing wasn't that bad.  I'm really freaked out by any sort of surgery so I plan on avoiding a CS unless it's absolutely necessary.  There's a reason you're given longer to recover from a CS than vaginal delivery...

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I had a vag. the first time around and yeah, I'm not going to lie it sucked, I tore and had 2 stitches and that got infected and itchy.  I (personally) could not have sex for 3 months, maybe more, I can't really remember.

But I healed and am fine now.  My Sister and SIL both had C-Sections (unplanned) and both also had complications far worse then what I went through.  Everyone is different, but I would def. choose vag before c-section any day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSticky41284:

Are you looking to do an elective c-sec just to avoid things getting wacky down there? I had a c-sec, and the recovery sucked, but I got the green light for sex at 6 weeks. So did most of the people I know who had vag deliveries. I just didn't WANT to have sex for MONTHS afterwards.

Also, don't do a c-sec just to avoid "aftermath" down there. A natural vag birth is MUCH preferred than major abdominal surgery. 

This! I had an emergency c-section and recovery was the worst!  I was able to have sex after 6 weeks but like PP I didn't want to for months.  My Dr. finally gave me the ok for working out after 9 weeks.  I plan on VBAC for this one no doubt!  I really hope I can because the recovery like I said, was terrible.  I hope you don't get a c-section unless you really have to..

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had a scheduled c-section with DS. My OB and I decided it was the best decision for me. DS was not dropping at all and she thought that my pelvis was the wrong shape to deliver vaginally, in this case I would end up with an emergency c-section. The thought of it in an emergency situation when my OB was "90% sure" that I would end up with a c-section seemed stupid to me. I elected to schedule my c-section, we did it in my 39th week, the pain was not bad, recovery was better than I expected and I will do a RCS this time around. I hope to have the same uncomplicated procedure and recovery this time around.
  • I've never heard anything about waiting 3 months for a standard vaginal delivery or a standard c-section.  The wait time is typically 6 weeks for BOTH types of delivery and has nothing to do with how the baby comes out.  It has to do with the gaping wound in your uterus where the placenta detaches.  Sex can cause infection in the uterus after either type of delivery and all women are typically seen 6 weeks post partum to ensure that they appear to be fully healed and ready for normal activity again (including intercourse).  

I had a vaginal delivery with a 10lb baby, a second degree tear, and I was cleared to resume normal activity at 6 weeks post partum. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • ta78ta78 member

I had to get 8 stitches after a vaginal delivery and was sore for a couple weeks, but my dr seemed surprised we hadn't had sex at our 6 week. I was a little scared to, so we waited a few more weeks after that. But that was just a personal decision.

You are going to have recovery time for both. I would avoid having a c-section if at all possible.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Pssh. DH and I were at it like 4 weeks after delivery. Embarrassed
    Our Little Lady
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Avery - 8.2.07 | Asher - 5.12.10 | Audrey - 11.28.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My family has a history of needing c-sections as well because the pelvic bones don't seperate enough.  I had a very very rough vaginal delivery.  Long story short baby was 8 lbs, sunny side up and stuck under my pelvic bone (bc it did not seperate large enough) so doctor had to pull DD out with the vaccum.  This resulted in a 4th degree episiotomy for me and a broken collar bone for DD (which healed in 8 weeks).  So this time around I still want to try for a vaginal delivery but we've decided if we think baby is bigger or we end up in the same situation as last time--then we will move to a c section.  But even with my more traumatic experience I would still choose vaginal delivery over major surgery.
  • I had a c-section after 18 hours of dlabor  The recovery was horrible. However, it was nice being able to pee without any pain. I will probably have an elective c-section this time, simply because I know wht to expect with recovery and I won't be going through 18 hour of labor prior to surgery. It sounds like this is your it child-if that Is the case, I would try for a vaginal birth. 

I coulnt drive for several weeks after my c-section. And I was like a rabbit in heat wanting to have sex with DH. I had to wait 6-8 weeks. 

Dont expect to laugh or cough without pain. Always have a Pillow nearby to press on your stomach. It requires a lot more time for sleeping to recover and w a new born, that's tricky :). Walking is difficult at first, and here is a possibility of a spinal headache after a c-section-which requires another epidural to get rid of it.  

ETA:  I've heard one people say that their recovery was a breeze. I think it depends on age, what labor you had (or didnt) have to go through, etc.  

• imageashdonne:
    My family has a history of needing c-sections as well because the pelvic bones don't seperate enough.  I had a very very rough vaginal delivery.  Long story short baby was 8 lbs, sunny side up and stuck under my pelvic bone (bc it did not seperate large enough) so doctor had to pull DD out with the vaccum.  This resulted in a 4th degree episiotomy for me and a broken collar bone for DD (which healed in 8 weeks).  So this time around I still want to try for a vaginal delivery but we've decided if we think baby is bigger or we end up in the same situation as last time--then we will move to a c section.  But even with my more traumatic experience I would still choose vaginal delivery over major surgery.

That is so sad. Glad dd is ok!! 

• I would much rather have to heal down there rather than have a C-Section. It's nothing you can't handle. It takes time to heal either way, vaginal or c-section. If you are most worried about having sex, the 6 week rule is to avoid infection and to allow your body to heal properly. 
  • Kie310Kie310 member

I didn't want to have or plan my c/s. I labored for 24 hours after being induced for PIH.

This time I'm hoping to for a VBAC. I don't want to have major surgery if it can be avoided. Having my stomach & uterus cut into, my insides taken out, then put back in... then having to spend 6 weeks recovering? Not fun. Nope.

• I recommend that if you do not need a C-section, that you do not get one. 

I delivered my DS's head (even had an episiotomy) and then had to have a C-section (don't be scared, this is EXTREMELY RARE).  So, basically, I got the joy of both types of delivery at once.

I will say that the episiotomy and vaginal "aftermath" was much easier to heal from than the C-section itself.  If I had only the episiotomy to deal with, then my recovery would have been simple.  Yes, the vag is stretched and looks/feels funny at first, but everything WILL go back to normal down there in time.

I still got very lucky with the C-section, but it is major abdominal surgery, and I had to take it very slowly for quite a while afterwards.

Oh, and most people are authorized to have sex again at 6 weeks (so only 1.5 months) or so, vaginal or C-section because the reason for waiting to have sex is to allow the wound where the placenta detaches from to heal and to avoid introducing unnecessary bacteria from entering and possibly causing infection.  It has nothing to do with whether the delivery was vaginal or C-section.  Even C-sections have to wait to have sex.

ETA:  because of the complications of my delivery, my OB gave me the okay at 8 weeks, and we still waited until 10, as I just wasn't ready prior to that.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • imageTriathletegirl:

imageashdonne:
    My family has a history of needing c-sections as well because the pelvic bones don't seperate enough.  I had a very very rough vaginal delivery.  Long story short baby was 8 lbs, sunny side up and stuck under my pelvic bone (bc it did not seperate large enough) so doctor had to pull DD out with the vaccum.  This resulted in a 4th degree episiotomy for me and a broken collar bone for DD (which healed in 8 weeks).  So this time around I still want to try for a vaginal delivery but we've decided if we think baby is bigger or we end up in the same situation as last time--then we will move to a c section.  But even with my more traumatic experience I would still choose vaginal delivery over major surgery.

That is so sad. Glad dd is ok!! 

Thanks!  I also have a new doctor this time around ;)

• Oh deat try a natural thats how its supposed to be.  I tore (right through my clit) but the stitches fell out at a week and a half.  I had a bucket I filled with hot water that I would sit in to pee.  It stung so bad I couldn't pee unless I sat in the water to wash away the acidic urine.  I did this in the shower. lol I had to figure it out otherwise my midwife would have given me a catheter and noooo way that was going to happen.  I could have had sex at two weeks.

Another thing to keep in mind...one of the reasons babies don't drop or move into position is because your hips are out of alignment.  A visit to a chiropractor who knows how to do this will help your birthing process go smoothly and help prevent C/S's.  Your hips pop in and out while pregnant preparing for birth and often end up a bit wacky.  My hips are constantly in need of adjustment.  I didn't know this before I had my first and didn't have any problems.  But keep that in mind.  If your hips are right you won't have to work as hard either.

There are exercises for helping your vagina return to normal.  Its naturally done through nursing your child it causes little contractions to shrink your uterus and return your vagina to its normal self.  I did additional exercises.  I would contract my vagina and hold it.  That pulls it together again.   I was just as tight after birth as I was before.  Best of luck ladies 

• My doctor gave me the green light to have sex at three weeks postpartum and I told her she was out of her mind. We waited until five weeks PP and everything was fine just took a little extra time to adjust to the changes to my body.

Truth be told, I don't know anyone who wanted to have sex for at least several weeks after birth regardless of how the baby was born. There's too much going on, nobody's sleeping, you're still bloated/constipated, and not to mention the fact that about the time you start having sex the baby wakes up and starts crying. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePansyPants:

My doctor gave me the green light to have sex at three weeks postpartum and I told her she was out of her mind. We waited until five weeks PP and everything was fine just took a little extra time to adjust to the changes to my body.

Truth be told, I don't know anyone who wanted to have sex for at least several weeks after birth regardless of how the baby was born. There's too much going on, nobody's sleeping, you're still bloated/constipated, and not to mention the fact that about the time you start having sex the baby wakes up and starts crying. 

100% true.  I was totally fine waiting the customary 6 weeks.

• I think you haven't done enough research or someONE gave you their bad experience.

I had a vaginal birth & as long as your doctor isn't a dumbass and makes sure your baby isn't too big to make it through the birth canal you should be just fine. I tore & had to be stitched but I was having sex 6 weeks later. And it didn't hurt. Sure there are women that probably still hurt at 3 months out, but that's not the case for everyone.

C-sections take just as long, if not longer, to heal! They hurt & you can barely move afterward. Holding your baby even hurts for some.

Either way, delivering a baby  isn't a piece of cake. You're getting a human out of you. You will be in pain. It should be expected IMO.

BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped around my sons neck and his heart rate was dropping. It wasn't what I had planned, but I knew that it was best for both of us. In the end, you just want a healthy mom and baby.

The recovery was so much easier than I thought it would be. You can't get out of bed for the first day, but after that you can pretty much do anything, just take it slow. FYI- you still bleed with a c-section. They say you should wait 6 weeks to DTD, we waited 4 weeks but didn't rush into it.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLuckyLavender10:

The recovery was so much easier than I thought it would be. You can't get out of bed for the first day, but after that you can pretty much do anything, just take it slow. FYI- you still bleed with a c-section. They say you should wait 6 weeks to DTD, we waited 4 weeks but didn't rush into it.

Please keep in mind that not all c-section recoveries are equal.  Some women can't do just about anything. I vacuumed 2 weeks PP, and busted my incision open. Also, sex at 4 weeks PP before being cleared by a doctor is dangerous.

• The plan with DS was to have a vaginal birth, but after 21 hours of labor I was sent to the OR to get him out. I was labeled as "failure to progress" and "failure to descend." My c-section recovery was horrible and very painful. I can't say what it would have been like to recover from a vaginal birth, but it seems it would have to be less painful than what I experienced. Then again, every woman's birth story is different. So who knows?

• I've had both and prefer Vaginal delivery.  After a vaginal we had sex like 3-4 weeks later.  It was WAY longer after the cesareans.
    *~*Mommy to*~*
    BFP#1 Kaitlyn 11-17-04
    BFP #2 Matthew pPROM 23w5d 06-03-07, b/33 weeks 8-6-07, d/10-15-07 SIDS,
    BFP #3 m/c 8 weeks 2/20/09, BFP #4 m/c no hb 6w4d, m/c 9w4d, D&C 11w2d, BFP #5 C/P 12/18/09 after BFP- 9dpo
    BFP #6 Samantha- 11-9-10
    BFP #7 4/20/12 21 DPO beta: 2382 29 DPO beta: 23000! HB 6w2d 116 bpm due Christmas day!
    This Momma's Journey
    ~Today I am pregnant and I love my baby~ BabyFruit Ticker
  • A three month wait time would probably only happen if there was some sort of complication or infection. Elective c-sections just for the kick of bypassing vaginal delivery is ridiculous. And sex will probably be the last thing on your mind for the first weeks with a newborn anyway. That time really does fly by
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• I am really hoping that I will not have to have a CS but I have a different shaped uterus that is hereditary and my mom had to have a CS both times bc we were breech. CS is major surgery so I would really prefer to avoid that.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• +Jasha++Jasha+ member

imagePattycakes3:
    I always figured I'd try to avoid a c-section if possible, not being cut open sounded better than the alternative. However, the more I hear about what happens during the aftermath/healing/time it takes to be regular down there...I'm terrified! Does anyone have info-advice to weigh in? This may seem silly, but is it really 3 mo until you can have sex again?

I promise being cut open isn't better than the 'alternative' (I've been there and healing wasn't easy, quick or pretty).  And healing time is MUCH longer for a c-section than a vaginal delivery (which is why most companies allow 6 weeks maternity leave for a vaginal birth, and 8 weeks for a c-section).  Plus it is healthier for your baby to be born vaginally than via c-section.  During a vaginal birth fluids are pushed out of the baby's lungs allowing baby to breath easier.  During a c-section those fluids aren't pushed out and CAN create breathing issues. 
    And most dr's request that you abstain for 6 weeks after delivery - no matter HOW you deliver. 
    Bottom line it is most often best for baby to be born vaginally, but if you chose to have a c-section with no medical reasons (for which you will be flamed on TB) that is your choice.  Just PLEASE make sure that you are at least 39 weeks pregnant before you allow your baby to be born.  Any earlier and you risk many complications for the baby. 

• hmonttyhmontty member

First of all, I need to say that the healing time for a C-section is far longer in most cases than for a vaginal delivery. As I was hobbling in extreme pain down the hospital hallway three days after my C-section, a mom who had just given birth 12 hours before went literally running by me chasing her 3-year-old. I will never forget that.

Some people say C-sections are easy. However, for others, they are not. I was a Bradley mom who ended up with a C-section because my 10lb9oz DD could not fit through my pelvis enough to drop, let alone come out. I was definitely one of those 12% of C-sections that are truly medically necessary. For me, it was horrible. Prep, surgery, recovery, and emotional turmoil -- all of it. The day we finally came home, I ended up back in the ER for 12 hours owing to a bad UTI that had my temp up to 104, so I had to leave my newborn at home alone with my husband, who was also in turmoil. Worst f'ing day of my life.

14 months later, I have a disgusting dunlop stomach because of the scar -- my stomach will never be flat again.

And incidentally, even though I had a C-section, sex was painful for me for many, many months. Your cervix goes through changes no matter how the baby comes out.

I would have taken a vaginal birth over my C-section in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I did not have a choice.

Go for the vag if you can.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • hmonttyhmontty member
    imagemabenner1:
    imageLuckyLavender10:

Please keep in mind that not all c-section recoveries are equal.  Some women can't do just about anything. I vacuumed 2 weeks PP, and busted my incision open. Also, sex at 4 weeks PP before being cleared by a doctor is dangerous.

I agree. My friend was mowing the lawn one week after her C-section and shows off about it. I just tell her she was stupid. I started feeling much better after about a week and a half, but I still took it VERY easy for six weeks. I hardly even climbed stairs. Could I have? Yes, of course, but I also knew my body underwent a major trauma, and even though I felt OK, I knew the incision was still healing both inside and out. I have ended up with with no lingering issues, and I think taking it slowly for so long helped.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well....I can tell you that I went into delivery with my 1st thinking that everything was going to turn out just great and that I would have this perfect vaginal delivery with no problems, but ended up with a c-section due to decels in my son's heart. I felt like the healing after the c-section was much worse than the healing after a VBAC. I had my 2nd via VBAC and ended up tearing with stiches, but nothing really compared to surgery in my oppinion. You get over either, but surgery (or c-sections) take longer to heal from...plus you still bleed down there even though you don't actually go through the whole birthing process! I'm pregnant with my 3rd and definitely will go with the VBAC option again. As far as waiting 6 weeks to have sex, listen to your body. I had sex 3 weeks after my vaginal birth and everything was just fine. Hope that helps. =)
  • I had a regular vaginal birth with LO.  I had a great experience.  I was induced.  Water was broke at 7:30am and I had him at 1:00pm.  Just one hour of (painless) pushing thanks to the epidural.  The only thing that hurt was that last push when he came all the way out - even still - hurt for a second and then you're so focused on the baby you forget.  I had a minor tear and they stitched it very quickly and I didn't feel that all all either.  About a half hour after I had him, I was able to walk to the bathroom and get a shower.

Definitely not 3 months until you can have sex again.  I waited more than 3 months but it wasn't because of healing - just exhaustion :)  I have friends that went for it right at that 6 month mark!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both vaginal deliveries:

DS: Easy, recovery was a piece of cake, no complaints, sex at 6 weeks.

DD (she is the youngest): Tore BAD, no sex for 9 months-approved for at 6 weeks, but we didn't until 9 months.

So--there ya go. Same OB, kids were the same size---and it is just different each time.

Good luck! 

• While I did not choose to have a csection, I will say my recovery was not bad at all. I would not have chosen to have a section given the choice, but my experience was not bad.
    Married 9/19/09
    BFP#1 05/19/10 M/C 6/4/10 d/x threatened m/c 6/6/10 m/c confirmed
    BFP#2 10/26/10 M/C 11/01/10
    BFP#3 11/28/10 C/P 11/29/10
    BFP#4 02/23/11 M/C 3/1/11
    BFP#5 08/13/11 EDD 04/27/12 Beta @11DPO 8.79 Beta @13DPO 36 Beta @17DPO 179 Beta @20DPO 679!! 6w3d hb 116 bpm! 8w3d hb 164 bpm! 10w4d hb 177-187 NT scan 12w2d hb 173-everything looks great! 14w4d-everything still looks great! A/S scheduled for 12/12!
    Our rainbow baby is here!! Emmalynn Anne born 4/27/12 via unplanned c-section
    BFP#6 Surprise! Here comes baby #2! Harper Elizabeth born 12/17/13 via c-section
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"