Natural Birth

Water Labor/Birth

Just posted this on 2nd tri without realizing there was a natural birth board- I'm rather new to posting but would love to get some feedback on water labor and/or births. With our first, we had a typical course in the hospital, including a little fentanyl, epidural, etc. All went well, but this time around, I'm looking for something different. I recently switched to a midwife at our clinic and our hospital has a great setup for water birthing...I have never known anyone who has done one, but I'm seriously considering it. At least the water labor part, sounds like it could be pretty relaxing compared to laboring on my back (I was induced previously). Has anyone had experience with water laboring or actual birthing in the water? Is it possible just to labor in the tub and then transfer to the bed for deliver (would I even want to do that)? I am starting my research on water births but would like to hear personal experiences. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Water Labor/Birth

• You could absolutely transfer to the bed for pushing- you may or may not want to do that. Everyone is different.

I birthed in the tub. I wanted to labour in it as well but my labour was so short by the time the tub was set up I started pushing almost immediately. It was nice to push in the water- the warm water probably helped me to relax and is said to reduce tearing (I didn't tear but that could be coincidence), but the biggest thing was the buoyancy which supported my body when I wanted to change positions. I'd do it again.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do try a water birth it was so wonderful for me.  I couldn't wait to get in the hot water, it took so much pain away and pushing just happened.  I didn't need to be told anything, I was in my home a mid wife came.  I can't tell you how amazing it was and how wonderful.  I did tear in the water and it stung but I simply could never imagine pushing a baby out on my back in such an un-natural position!  I wanted to stand squatting position which is said to be the best for birthing.  I was told there is less tearing that way and you don't need to work so hard.  I wanted to try that but I was so comfortable in the water there was nooooo way I was getting out lol.  

It was simply amazing.  Directly after birthing and still in the water the midwife asked if I would do it again, I didn't hesitate I said yes definitely.  She looked surprised and said normally first time mothers say "never again for a while"  Turns out I was the only young woman on the island who had birthed her first time at home and in water.  That was kind of cool to find out.  A mid wife came the next day to check on our baby and said I was the talk of the hospital with my super short labor and birthing at home first time.  I really felt in awe of the whole birthing situation and felt so strong as a woman to have done it on my own in a few hours. I would encourage every woman who can to try a water birth.  

Check out the Norwegian water births they are so cool.  The have this rectangle tank that is clear so you can see the birth, the mother has a seat built into the tank and her feet are propped up in stirrups so to speak.  Its such a natural pushing position she hardly has to do any effort, the baby is born on its own into the water and immediately starts swimming in the tank!  The baby has lived in water for 9 months and will not drowned.  when you are ready for the baby to come up you gently turn the baby so its looking up.  When it sees light its natural instinct is to start breathing when it comes to the surface of the water.  Then the mother picks up the baby and he or she cries and she has done it all with no help from anyone.  Now that is a birth I want to do and I want filmed.  But it was beautiful to watch, just so calming.  

• I labored in the water for a good portion of my labor and it was amazing!  My hospital doesn't do water-births and so I actually labored  DD down for 1.5+ hours fully dilated because I just didn't want to get out.  When I finally decided I was ready they  wrapped towels around me and I just walked from the tub to the bed to push, it wasn't hard. 
  • I used the tub for labouring in. I didn't intend to birth in the water but then I started pushing so figured it didn't matter.

LO was almost crowning but she kept slipping back up. my midwife was worried she was stuck and so had me get out so she could have better access. She was born maybe 15minutes after that.

I loved being in the water, and it gave instant relief to the pain. 

Elizabeth 3yrs old Jane 1yr old

• I loved laboring in the water, but I did not want to deliver in the water and still don't feel a desire to ever experience that. I just don't get the appeal. I know tons of people who loved their water births, but it's not for me. 

It's totally possible, though in the moment you may not feel like moving. Read up on it and decide what you're comfortable with. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Both of my LOs were born at home. I didn't use a tub for J. But I had one for A.'s birth. I was planning on laboring in the water but pushing/delivering elsewhere.

However, that wasn't how things worked out. Once I got into the tub, I didn't want to leave. And I was only in the tub for a short time (maybe 10 minutes) before I had the urge to push. When I announced to my midwife that it was pushing time I asked if I had to leave the pool. She said no.

And honestly, the only way I could have gotten out of the pool at that point was with a lot of help. I am sure some people do get out. But I was comfortable, or as comfortable as you are at that point. So A. ended up being a water birth.

FWIW, looking back I loved laboring and delivering in the pool. If we have any more LOs I would definitely plan on doing it again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ohhhhhhh, I loved laboring in the tub! My water broke & labor did not start on it's own, so I found myself in the hospital with a Cytotec induction. Things weren't going as I'd imagined and I had a rather bossy nurse with her own agenda. However, as soon as I got into the tub, that stress melted away. I went from 4 to 8cm in only an hour, complete just minutes after that, and DD was born about 15min later. I didn't have her in the tub, I pushed on the bed which was fine with me. One of the best things about laboring in the water was DH pouring water on my belly during contractions. It felt amazing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After almost 2 years, a bleak multiple-factor infertility diagnosis, a miracle surprise BFP while waiting to start treatment, SUA and resolved IUGR, the best thing that ever happened to us is finally here!

Read the Blog
  • image jennyann28:
    Ohhhhhhh, I loved laboring in the tub! My water broke & labor did not start on it's own, so I found myself in the hospital with a Cytotec induction. Things weren't going as I'd imagined and I had a rather bossy nurse with her own agenda. However, as soon as I got into the tub, that stress melted away. I went from 4 to 8cm in only an hour, complete just minutes after that, and DD was born about 15min later. I didn't have her in the tub, I pushed on the bed which was fine with me. One of the best things about laboring in the water was DH pouring water on my belly during contractions. It felt amazing!

My DH did the same thing poured water over my belly, it felt so good!   

• I had a home birth with a MW and planned a water delivery.  I ended up getting out of the tub to use the birthing stool.  The water felt AMAZING.  I could not believe the difference in laboring in the water versus out of the water.  My contractions felt so much stronger out of the water.  The issue I had was that I needed to feel the intense contractions in order to push.  I didn't think this would be the case, but it was a mental thing, I guess.  Anyway, if you have the option of using a pool to labor and/or deliver in, I would definitely suggest doing so.  I'm so glad I had the tub even though I ended up not delivering in it.  GL!

ETA: grammar

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I had planned to labor in the tub and then get out when it was time to push.  At the time I just couldn't fathom wanting to be in the water pushing or giving birth, I just couldn't picture it at all.  

However, when the time came my midwife arrived right as I was beginning to feel pushy.  She checked me while I was laying in bed and I was 7cm and knowing my previous plan she warned me that if were to get in the bath right then I would likely be having my baby there.  I didn't care, all I wanted was to be in the warm water.

This time around I am planning for a water birth, we may even set up a birthing pool, but we'll see how I feel when the moment comes.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards