Breastfeeding

Eating bottle too fast

My little girl is just over two weeks old, and I have to go back to work next Thursday.  DH just gave her her first bottle, we started with 1 oz in a glass Born Free bottle.  She was super upset at the moment, which may have contributed to this - but she chugged the bottle down in less than a minute.  The plan was to have DH give her the 1 oz and then have me follow up with the boob, and she was still frantic after the bottle and calmed down immediately for the boob.  

So, for future bottles... should we give her more in the bottle?  Is there a way to slow her down (I wonder if not letting her get to the point of being frantic will help?)?  Is there a resource that will give me an idea of how much BM she should be taking at a feed?  Any other thoughts?  

Thanks! 

April 2012 Mamas Blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Look! I put the diaper on the baby! image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Eating bottle too fast

• Are you using a slow flow nipple?  You could try a preemie one maybe.  This will help you figure out how much she needs

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

• imageiluvmylab:

Are you using a slow flow nipple?  You could try a preemie one maybe.  This will help you figure out how much she needs

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Is there a preemie nipple that is compatible with Born Free?  We've got the level 1 nipples that came with the bottles. 

April 2012 Mamas Blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Look! I put the diaper on the baby! image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • not sure about the preemie nipple...

DD has tried 3 different bottles.  Tommee Tippee: a normal flow for a normal baby but I guess mine isn't normal.  She chokes often on the flow of milk.  Medela bottles: pretty much the same issue but chokes a touch less.  Born Free: doesn't choke at all and has the slowest flow.  My point is that unless you find a preemie nipple for the born free's I don't know that you will find a slower flow.  My greatest advice is to pull the nipple out a little bit to help slow her down.  Or pull it out of her mouth altogether so she takes a few breaths and then give it back.  This will help her to slow down over time as well, and then you won't have to keep pulling it out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"