Breastfeeding

Mammogram...?

So...I thought I might have mastitis, but I don't, thankfully.  I had a low fever yesterday morning, felt drained and weak, and I dropped a pump session about a week ago, so I had been a little engorged.  Part of my right breast feels kind of bruised.  It's right at the top and I can feel what seems like a kind of knot there, and it's painful to the touch.  

My obgyn today said it wasn't mastitis.  Which I believe.  My (low) fever is gone, I don't feel flu-ish anymore, and I don't have red marks or heat on the breast.  She said it could just be bruised muscle or something.  Just to keep an eye on it.

Then...she called back saying she looked over my chart (2 breast biopsies, many mammograms and breast ultrasounds in the past, family history of breast cancer) and said she and I would probably feel better if I got a mammogram.  

So now I'm finding some conflicting info. on mammograms while bf'ing.  Some say it's fine and I can continue to bf right after.  Others say I can pump and keep the milk, but need to give previously pumped milk for 24 hrs. after.  Anyone had a mammogram while bf'ing?  Any ideas?

Also, anyone have any ideas what this might be?  I'm fine with just waiting it out and seeing if it might just be bruised muscle, but if she's going to schedule a mammogram I kind of feel like I should go...?! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Mammogram...?

• AmyRIAmyRI member

If I were in your shoes, I would take her up on the offer of the mammogram.

From everything I've read, x-rays are safe while breastfeeding and there is no need to pump and dump. I would trust the milk to be ok, and at worst, I would pump and dump once after the mammogram and then continue as normal (so the milk that was in you at the time can be emptied and not fed, but any milk after that shouldn't be exposed to any radiation).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • I had breast cancer in 2010 and am on a follow up monitoring regime that is to include routine mammograms. My breast surgeon said mammos are hard to read if you're BFing and so we are not doing any until I am done breast feeding. I'd suggest you talk to a mammo tech before scheduling.

Another option could be MRI with contrast dye.

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • I'd get a mammogram if I were you because I'm a hypochondriac :-P But if it makes you feel better, I get that "bruised" sort of feeling sometimes and I've been dropping feedings too. It's usually when I'm engorged and sometimes will last after I pump/feed next, like it's recovering from being so full (haha... I know that's a random way to describe it, but it's the best I can think of).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"