Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Motionsickness/Carsick?

My 1 year old has gotten sick about 5-6 times the past 2 months either in the car or as soon as we arrive at our destination. She seems to get sick if she has a full belly or has eaten right before we get in the car or if she eats or drinks anything in the car. the last time just a few animal crackers made her sick while driving in the car. It seems to happen the majority of the time when we are driving stop and go traffic or the back roads which are windey, twisty and turny some hills (not very big ones. Anyone out there dealling with this same thing or have dealt with it? any advice or tips?

Re: Motionsickness/Carsick?

• Unless you want to stick some blinders on your child you have to avoid food and drink before you get in the car.
  • hkg80hkg80
    Second Anniversary

image thisplaceisstupid:
    Unless you want to stick some blinders on your child you have to avoid food and drink before you get in the car.

I used to get car sick all the time when I was younger, and still do sometimes, and having a little bit of food in my stomach actually helped.  Riding on an empty stomach usually made me feel much worse.  I'm hoping my dd doesn't end up having this problem, I know how miserable it can be.  Good luck!

• image hkg80:

image thisplaceisstupid:
    Unless you want to stick some blinders on your child you have to avoid food and drink before you get in the car.

I used to get car sick all the time when I was younger, and still do sometimes, and having a little bit of food in my stomach actually helped.  Riding on an empty stomach usually made me feel much worse.  I'm hoping my dd doesn't end up having this problem, I know how miserable it can be.  Good luck!

Yeah sorry, you're right. Something bland on the tummy but I don't think drinks throughout the trip are good. At least that's what my doc told me when I had to ride in a car 2 hours after surgery. 

I still say blinders are the way to go!

• When she does have even a little somethingon her tummy she still seems to get sick. yesturday she had a few animal crackers and water but still got sick. she seems to do better if i wait about an hour and don't feed her anything
  • Ugh! My neice used to do this, projectile too! Looking out the side window made it worse for her so I put a tea towel in the window to block out her view. It didn't matter much if she only had a little in her stomach or just ate, she got car sick every time. And in my old crappy car with velour on the seats. Eww.

Logan 4.97~ Teagan 2.02 ~ Eirian 3.06 ~ Keira 2.08 ~ Seren 10.10
  • My DD started getting carsick when she was just a little over 1yr old - and still does now.  My recommendations:

• have her carseat in the middle (of back seat) so she can look straight out front.
    • always have air circulating.
    • try to avoid driving with full tummy
    • always have water available for her to drink
    •  and most importantly - carry gallon size zip lock bags.  My DD has learned to give me a quick notice that she is sick so I hand her a bag (opened for her) and she will vomit in it.  It takes practice, but it's been a saver for me.

Good Luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers