September 2011 Moms

Who is more frugal with money? You or SO/DH?

I'm the type to not buy something unless we really need it. He's the type to buy things on a whim. Sometimes it really causes arguments in our house! I keep trying to be more relaxed about it and tell myself that this is why we both work...to have extra money to buy the luxury type things-- but I also think that we may need extra money for an emergency or something. I've always been a save, save, save type of person. When we first met, he didn't have a lick of savings in his name. After meeting, he opened a savings account, so at least that's a step.

Ugh, I need to not stress about it as much. I just always think "worst case scenario" you know?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Who is more frugal with money? You or SO/DH?

• I want more material things like clothes and pedicures but I try really hard to curb my spending and focus on saving.

DH is more conservative about spending money but when it comes to big ticket items, he's the one who wants bigger and better.  But he does a lot of research and we have good quality things which last longer, plus I make sure we save before we spend. 

So we're pretty even I guess.  We're both very anti debt.

Married 12/31/09

• Same with us - I'm way more frugal. Most of his squadmates always complain that their wives/girlfriends spend so much - he always jokes that he loves me so much because I hate it. He spends the most on food. I buy a lot of generic, he buys the specialty stuff.

Right now our agreement has been that as long as we both put a set amount in savings each month, and we discuss larger purchases (over $75ish) together, he's free to buy things with the extra.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am definitely the more frugal one.  H buys stuff all of the time!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    GO IRISH!
  • roxpinkroxpink
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper

My DH and I are both savers at heart, however with that said we both get in our 'big spender' moods! We decided to have two bank accounts to help determine how much we could spend on whatever we wanted! Called our 'FUN' account.

The first account covers all our bills- DH set up a certain amount to direct deposit in that account every paycheck. The overage then goes into the fun account! That way there is no confusion. We know how much we have to spend for random fun stuff... and depending how high it reaches we then transfer some to savings every month. I love our system :)

Maybe something like that will help? Give you piece of mind?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                  Madison & Rylee
                             All of me loves all of you!
  • JJM11JJM11
    First Anniversary
    I am the one who likes to save, my husband always has a project he'd like to spend extra money on. All bills are paid from the checking acct and as long as the savings account stays above a certain amount, I'm fine with a large purchase here & there. Just not as often as he would like! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm way more frugal.  DH is one to see something he likes and just buy it.  I'm a worry-wart, always wanting to save in case something happens.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH is the frugal one.  But when we are buying big things, he doesn't mind spending the extra money to get something nicer.  I just buy lots of little stuff that we probably don't really need.I've gotten much better about though in the past couple years.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image PrincessPeach13:
    DH is the frugal one.  But when we are buying big things, he doesn't mind spending the extra money to get something nicer.  I just buy lots of little stuff that we probably don't really need.I've gotten much better about though in the past couple years.

This is us.  Although whenever I go to walmart with H I always end up spending about $100 more than I wanted to. 

SAHM to two beautiful girls. A - 9/16/11 E - 4/29/13
  • We both go back and forth. One month he'll spend more on stuff, the next month I'll have more expenses. Overall, we tend to be frugal, though.
  • Ms5586Ms5586 member

I'm the frugal one.  He's definitely a spender.  He's the one who deviates from the grocery list, will go to the main (more expensive) grocery store for a few items rather than the cheaper one, wants to go out to eat a few times a week, etc.

I tend to be frugal to a fault.  It's one of the reasons I haven't gotten a hair cut since August (well, that, and time), I feel very guilty if I spend full price on clothing for myself (even though I only have about 10 things that fit), etc.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• image solsburyhill:

I want more material things like clothes and pedicures but I try really hard to curb my spending and focus on saving.

DH is more conservative about spending money but when it comes to big ticket items, he's the one who wants bigger and better.  But he does a lot of research and we have good quality things which last longer, plus I make sure we save before we spend. 

So we're pretty even I guess.  We're both very anti debt.

This is us exactly ! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • We're both fairly frugal, but DH is probably more so.  We both have dumb things that we like to spend money on, but he's more careful overall.  We're both savers though.