Connect with Pampers

Stockpiling.

I just found out I was pregnant and I am planning on quiting my job in November. I will be a stay at home mom and my husband will be the only income. I wanted to start stockpiling diapers now since I still have a paycheck coming in and I know how expense it could be. I am trying to eleviate as much financial burdeon as I possbily can. My question is, how can i calculate the diapers I would need per stage. For example, say 5 stage 1 diapers a day = 35 diapers a week = 140 a month. How long should i estimate stage 1 diaper usage? and so on for the other stages. I really hope you can help answer my question.

Re: Stockpiling.

• As a guideline I change LO every 3 hours or sooner if he poops.  So unti your LO sleeps through the night be prepared to use 8-10 diapers per day. 

At 8 changes per day a box of Size 1 will last 19-23 days.

Hope this helps you.

• honestly, I would go buy a target or amazon gift card in xxx amount and keep it just for diapers instead.  You don't know if your baby will have a reaction to a certain brand and then you'd have to return/exchange a LOT of diapers.

[/IMG]Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• image mrsh0606:

honestly, I would go buy a target or amazon gift card in xxx amount and keep it just for diapers instead.  You don't know if your baby will have a reaction to a certain brand and then you'd have to return/exchange a LOT of diapers.

This! I bought and received Huggies prior to LOs arrival. Huggies didn't work for us (leaks) and pampers are now my brand of choice. I wish I had stockpiled a gift card like pp said. It would have saved the headache of returning. 

• There's a lot of variability in how quickly you go through diapers so unless there's a really good sale, don't try to stockpile too much.  Pampers swaddlers seems to work well for many newborns in the first few sizes.  You might need to try different diapers for the best fit and absorbency.  DD was 6.5 lbs and we spent 6 weeks in NB size, but many larger babies only spend a week or two in NB.   She put on weight really well and we used 1 large case of size 1s and several cases of size 2s and now have been in 3s for months. 

I'd recommend that you find coupons and try out smaller packages of diapers of varying brands to see what works well for you.  Instead of gift cards, you should also just set up a savings fund for incidentals, that way you are not limited to a store or likely to misplace the cards.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Em&JonEm&Jon
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 100 Love Its
    I stockpiled before LO was born. I only bought diapers when they were less than $2 a jumbo pack. I also was able to get multiple big boxes of diapers for $0.07 from Amazon when they had those crazy coupon deals. I'd really wish they'd do that again!! I bought both Pampers and Huggies and knew that my child may have a reaction to one. I also knew I'd have more than 1 child so if one didn't work for this LO, then I'd still have them for the next. Luckily we haven't had any issues and I've never had to make a diaper run because we've been low. In fact I'm buying for the next one when there is a crazy good deal!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, I was thinking that too. It makes a lot of sense.
  • image Em&Jon:
    I stockpiled before LO was born. I only bought diapers when they were less than $2 a jumbo pack. I also was able to get multiple big boxes of diapers for $0.07 from Amazon when they had those crazy coupon deals. I'd really wish they'd do that again!! I bought both Pampers and Huggies and knew that my child may have a reaction to one. I also knew I'd have more than 1 child so if one didn't work for this LO, then I'd still have them for the next. Luckily we haven't had any issues and I've never had to make a diaper run because we've been low. In fact I'm buying for the next one when there is a crazy good deal!

This was us lol... We only bought Pampers sensitive though and we still have boxes of diapers hanging around 2 years later since DD was exclusively cloth diapered until daycare at 15 mos. I wonder if diapers have a shelf life?? lol

• image HALFM00N:

image Em&Jon:

This was us lol... We only bought Pampers sensitive though and we still have boxes of diapers hanging around 2 years later since DD was exclusively cloth diapered until daycare at 15 mos. I wonder if diapers have a shelf life?? lol

As long as you store the diapers in a cool dry place they should be good to go when you need them Smile  Excessive heat or moisture could cause them to become hard.  HTH  -Heather At Pampers

• I pretty much knew how big my 3rd child was going to be. He has two older sisters, both of which were over 8 lbs when they were born, and they say boys tend to be bigger than girls;  his estimated weight at 38 weeks is now 8 lbs 3 oz.  In preparation, i bought just 1 newborn pack and about 5 jumbo packs of size 1's, remembering that my second child went through an 84-pc box in just 2 weeks.  I have a bunch of size 2's and 3's as well.  Stocked up when prices were at a low.  .