May 2012 Moms

Stripping Membranes?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a FTM, so I don't know the answer. At what point are doctors typically willing to strip your membranes? I have my 38 week appointment & am totally swollen & sweaty & uncomfortable & ready to meet my daughter, so I wasn't sure if that was a normal point to ask for that or if I should wait until I was further along?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Stripping Membranes?

• It can cause labor immediately if your body is ready, so I would wait until 39 weeks - some important development still occurs in these last few weeks. (Although I completely understand wanting to get baby out *now* and I would not be at all sad if spontaneous labor were to happen...).

I plan to ask at my 39w2d appt.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• I think it depends on the Dr and the pregnancy. For me, I was only offered one after 40 weeks. I was supposed to get one today but my cervix was so posterior she could not even reach that far. Ugh!
  • I've had mine stripped 3 times now and not much has happened and i'm now 40w2d. They started stripping them last week. 39 weeks is a good time to start. I was 2cm and 50% for the first sweep then I was 4cm and 80% and today before they swept me I was 4cm and 90% effaced. Hopefully labor is around the corner. Sadly, I don't know anyone where the sweeping/stripping worked first try.
    July 16th 2010 - BFP with Kenny, HB seen Aug 16th 2010 Preterm labor started on November 24th, Kenny delivered 310am Thanksgiving morning 2010 at 22w3d. Kenny had a type 2 CCAM. BFP 31sep11 betas: 27.3 @ 13 dpo 467 @ 19 dpo over 10000 @ 31 dpo, HB 169! stick baby, stick!! December 22 2011 - It's a Boy!!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My OB offers it at 39 weeks depending on the state of your cervix - if you aren't dilated or effaced then it's not going to work and it's going to be way more painful than if you are.

She also said it works about 1/6 and only if your body is ready to go into labour.  It's just a tipping point really.  

I understand you're uncomfortable, but if your body isn't about to go all you'll end up with is likely some spotting and cramps that do nothing.  I know some ladies in our birth month were stripped 3 times, overdue and still had to be induced because their bodies just weren't ready to go.   

GL 

• cryssvcryssv
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    At 38+3 I was 1cm dilated and my OB did a sweep. She said she didn't think it would do much for me but did it anyway. I'm assuming she'll offer again this week
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lindy27lindy27
    1000 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    My doctor offers is at your 40 week appoitment.  I had mine done then and had my LO 2 days later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • My dr stripped mine @ 38w and I went into labor that night! 1ht
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cbee817cbee817
    Eighth Anniversary
    Mine were stripped at 38 weeks 5 days and my DD was born 10 hours later. For DD#1 I was induced at 39 weeks 6 days with no membranes stripped.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am 1 cm today.  My midwife was willing but said it tends to work better when the baby is super low and you are like 3cm, etc.  So we skipped it this week.  You need to be dilated enough for them to get their finger up there.
    image image image image