Health & Exercise

Training for a marathon after baby

Before I got pregnant I ran a lot (full and half marathons).  I ran a half marathon when I was about 6 weeks pregnant, and have been walking a lot throughout my pregnancy and jogging only a little bit.  I would love to sign up for a full or half marathon to train for to help me get back in shape and back into the running game after I have my baby. However, this is my first child I have no idea how I'm actually going to physically feel and I have no idea how long my recovery is going to be.  I have heard most people are cleared for exercise after 6 weeks, but a few of my friends have started light jogging about 3 or 4 weeks pp.  Is this normal?  If any of you have started training for a longer race soon after you had your baby, I would love to hear your experience with it - how long until you were able to start training again, what you felt like, how long it took you to start feeling good running again, etc.

Thank you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Training for a marathon after baby

• I ran the whole time I was pregnant. I ran a half marathon around 24 weeks and ran races up until I had my little guy. My Dr. cleared me to jog 1 week pp. I had a quick labor with no complications, and this was my second baby. By 3 weeks pp I felt pretty good running. At 5 weeks I ran a 5k about 8:30 pace(I ran a race the weekend before my son was born at 11:30 pace). I am not quite 5 months pp and I have run 1/2 marathon distance but not raced that distance yet. I still am not at my pp race pace but, I think that has more to do with my weight. I had planned on running a full marathon next month but, with EBF and a 2 year old it has been hard to find time!  Next month, after I introduce some solids, I will start training for a marathon in October. BTW, I still have to wear a pantyliner every time I run because I leak......Gross, I know:(
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've ran several marathons/1/2 marathons and ran a full at about 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby.  I ran through the entire (and I mean entire -- I went late and ran 4 miles almost daily past my due date until I was induced) pregnancy.  I had a c-section and started running again at about 5 weeks pp.  It was really difficult at first but I slowly built my mileage back up.  About 4 months pp I did an 8K and started running around 25 miles a week.  I ran a 1/2 marathon 11 months after my baby was born.  I was working full time and exclusively breastfeeding, so I don't think I would have been ready to train for a full marathon.  I also wanted to get pregnant somewhat close to that, so I started trying to get pregnant after I was done nursing at 13 months (it didn't take long and I was pregnant less than 2 months later).  

I felt like I was back to my normal running self about 4 months pp, but the first year is pretty tiring.  You go from being able to run whenever but now you have a baby to factor into your running schedule.  I know people have done a full soon after the baby, but it just wasn't in the cards for me and I was happy to just do a 1/2.  

My best advice is to keep running through your pregnancy! Some days are very hard but just keep it up. Even if you run up until the day you deliver, you still might have to take over a month off and you will really feel the de-conditioning.  That's what motivates me -- I'd love to stop now but if I do I would have to take like 2 months off of running and I just don't want to do that.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ktb31ktb31 member
    I did not run at all during my first pregnancy but started back again 6 weeks after my c-section. Ran a 5k about 8-10 weeks after c-section and it was really hard. Ran a half when DS was 6 months old and completed it at about the same time I was running pre-pregnancy.
  • Granted I haven't been through this yet, but I am trying to run for as long as I can during my pregnancy.  I ran a marathon at 8 weeks and had been ready to run another one at 22 weeks, but the weather was way too hot so I bailed.  I did get up to 20 miles at 19 weeks. 

I am signed up to run my first post baby marathon 8 months after he arrives.  We will see how it goes, not anticipating a PR by any means but just to finish and have a goal to work towards. 

• I am a FTM so I don't have any advice, but I stopped running shortly after finding out I was pg.  I am due at the end of July and plan on once Dr says its ok to start off with some walking/jogging and then hopefully do a thanksgiving 5k and start half marathon training in late Jan (about 5/6 months after baby is born).  I really wanted to do a full next Oct but I realized that would be a LOT of work and a LOT of time- and not really sure how that would all work out (not sure how I trained for a full yrs ago with no family and not being married!!) Good luck!! let us know what happens!
  • imageJG362009:

was born.  I was working full time and exclusively breastfeeding, so I don't think I would have been ready to train for a full marathon.  I I felt like I was back to my normal running self about 4 months pp, but the first year is pretty tiring.  You go from being able to run whenever but now you have a baby to factor into your running schedule.  I know people have done a full soon after the baby, but it just wasn't in the cards for me and I was happy to just do a 1/2.  

It took a while for me to get my running legs again, mostly bc I wasn't allowed to run during my pregnancy. The hardest part is finding the time to run long runs when you are working and pumping/BF. Short runs are easy to fit in but training for race is hard to accomplish. GL!

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I ran during most of my pregnancy and ran a half marathon around week 11 or 12.  I switched over to elliptical at week 34 because my belly felt too big and uncomfortable to continue running then (plus it was July and craaaazy hot).  

My OB made a deal with me at the beginning of my pregnancy.  She approved me to run a marathon if I wanted (I ultimately decided not to) and encouraged me to run as much as I felt comfortable with, but she told me that there was one non-negotiable stipulation: NO RUNNING for 6 weeks post partum.  As soon as she said it, I opened my mouth to argue it, and she said NO NEGOTIATION.  haha, she meant business.  She is a runner too, and a mother of 3, so I trusted her opinion.

So after DS was born in August 2010, I took the full 6 weeks off.  I was off and  running the next day after that though, lol.  I ran a half marathon in November 2010.  Then I ran a full marathon in March 2011.  Both races were new PRs. :)   I think it's because I had such limited time to work out, it really made me focus much more and put forth more effort.  The faster I did a 10-mile run, the sooner I'd be back home with my LO. :)

I would definitely recommend some recovery time, allowing yourself to heal, and working your way back up in mileage slowly.  It can be done and you will be back to where you were in no time.  GL to you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMegs1HOTRED:

So after DS was born in August 2010, I took the full 6 weeks off.  I was off and  running the next day after that though, lol.  I ran a half marathon in November 2010.  Then I ran a full marathon in March 2011.  Both races were new PRs. :)   I think it's because I had such limited time to work out, it really made me focus much more and put forth more effort.  The faster I did a 10-mile run, the sooner I'd be back home with my LO. :)

I completely relate to this!  I started PRing the heck out of 5Ks because sometimes all I would have time for was a 3 mile run and I'd have to practically race it every time because I wouldn't be able to finish all of my work and spend time with my family otherwise!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ran up to and including the day I was induced.  During the pregnancy I asked how realistic it would be to sign up for a half-marathon at 3 months pp and was told that as long as I had a normal, non-complicated vaginal delivery I would be up and running a couple weeks after the birth.

So I started running again at 3 weeks pp, but didn't start really training until 6 weeks pp.  I used those first few weeks to work slowly back up to speed/endurance.  I felt amazing running again.  In fact, during my 6 week checkup when the NP asked how my first run back was I told her the worst part about it was that it was too short!

I ran the half at 3.5 months pp and didn't PR, but I was only about 2 minutes slower.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had an emergency c-section that went really well:  suffered almost no pain and one week after surgery I felt perfectly back to my old self.  Despite my quick recovery I promised my husband and doctor to abstain from sex and exercise until 6 weeks pp (even though I was raring to go on both accounts).

The instant I got the all clear I started back with my exercise routine. For the first couple of months I chose low-impact cardiovascular exercise.  At 3-months pp I signed up for a marathon that was scheduled for 4 months later.  My training went fantastically well.  I felt full of energy, no pain in my incision. I dare say I felt better that before getting pregnant.  7 months and one week after giving birth, I ran the marathon in 3hrs 54 (only 9 minutes off of my PR set 16 years earlier). The marathon training allowed me to regain my pre-pregnancy figure without much effort (2 kg lighter even) and have some much needed me-time.

Along the way there were many many naysayers (by far outnumbering those that encouraged me to run).  I live in France, where they have some interesting ideas about women and sports and pregnancy. Here are just a few comments I was told:
    I can't breast feed and run. I must make a choice.
    Hormone changes would affect my joints and make me prone to injury.
    Even after a c-section my pelvic floor is fragile thus making high impact sports unsuitable for the first year pp.
    Marathons are extreme and unhealthy for a woman's body (no further explanation given)
    Insinuation that I was selfish to spend that time training in lieu of being there for my daughter.

All I know is that it was the right choice for me.  I was lucky to feel as good as I did so soon after giving birth.  I always listened to my body and would not have hesitated to cut back if my health was in question. My daughter benefits from a mom that is more zen, full of energy, and physically fit.  I hope she can learn by my example. 

So in short...if you feel up to it, I say get out there and run to your little heart's content.
  • I think you have received some good comments here.  Moral of the story is that everyone is different.  In my opinion, a huge factor is breastfeeding and whether you are working or not.  I have to plan my workouts around LO eating.  You can't just pick up and go. 

I had an emergency c-section and had a so-so recovery.  I waited the full 6 weeks to exercise, besides walking.  I was going to try for earlier, but honestly my incision would be so sore after walking for too long (or too many hills) that I didnt have a choice but to wait.  Right at 6 weeks I felt good enough to work out. 

I worked out right through my pregnancy so most of my strength came back quicker than I thought with the 6 week break.  But now 6 months pp and I am still sore at my incision.  I was debating doing a half marathon that happened last weekend but ultimately decided against it.  My reasons for not doing it were breastfeeding (too much planning and coordination), still adjusting to work schedule and juggling a baby, my husband was going to be traveling a lot once I needed to start training, and I was mildly concerned my abdomen was still having pain.  

I don't regret the decision.  I am itching to do something, but for now it was just going to be too much stress to fit in the long runs that it was a healthier decision for me to skip it this year and continue my existing workout routine.  Just don't put too much pressure on yourself. You will have just had a baby and that is a huge adjustment.  There are plenty of things you can do to get back into shape without training for a marathon. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"