Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Kindle buying help

I decided to join 2012 and buy a kindle.  I'm trying to figure out which to buy.  I'm a kindle dummy so please bear with me.

I only want it for reading.  I won't watch movies or do apps so I'm thinking no on the kindle fire.

Internet on the other three are all the same right?  I know one is wifi and the other is 3G, but other than that, is it the same? Is the 3G important?

And on these you can't surf the internet right?  Its strictly for downloading books? You don't actually need wifi to read the book right?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kindle buying help

• I love my kindle but I'd probably go with the Glow nook simple or hold off until they come out with a kindle with similar lighting technology.

I hate having to have a lamp on or a book light for my kindle so end up reading on my iPad more because I don't have to worry about it. 

• imagechach916:

I decided to join 2012 and buy a kindle.  I'm trying to figure out which to buy.  I'm a kindle dummy so please bear with me.

I only want it for reading.  I won't watch movies or do apps so I'm thinking no on the kindle fire.

Internet on the other three are all the same right?  I know one is wifi and the other is 3G, but other than that, is it the same? Is the 3G important?

And on these you can't surf the internet right?  Its strictly for downloading books? You don't actually need wifi to read the book right?

I have a Kindle 3G touch.  It has wi-fi and 3G.  With the wiifi connected you can use the internet but it is a black and white browser.  Still gets the job done though.  I got it because if I want to download a book I don't have to worry about having wifi.  The 3G covers it. The Kindle Fire only uses wifi. 

So on the fire and the wifi only Kindles, if you aren't by a hotspot you have no connection.  No book downloading, and no internet.  That means no Facebook and certain apps.  

Also the Kindle fire is terrible outdoors.  Or reading in a car usually because of sun in the windows.  If you just want to read I would get the 3g wifi touch that way you are covered either way.  Or the keyboard one because I think it has 3G also.  But the other one is smaller.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the wi-fi Kindle touch and I love it to pieces!  very easy to read and I can read it anywhere.

I say don't go with a fire because you cannot read it out in the sun due to glare...if you want a fire just buy a tablet.

• Can you surf internet on the touch?  Are FB or apps even available?  I keep hearing conflicting info.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    The internet capabilities on the Fire are far superior/faster. I'd get the Fire.

But I will def be reading outside.  And the fire doesn't have the anti glare right?  Im also afraid with the fire my kids will want to constantly play on it if they see there are shows/apps. 

But on the flip side, I'd still like to check my FB or check thebump without switching to my phone.

• imagechach916:

imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    The internet capabilities on the Fire are far superior/faster. I'd get the Fire.

But I will def be reading outside.  And the fire doesn't have the anti glare right?  Im also afraid with the fire my kids will want to constantly play on it if they see there are shows/apps. 

But on the flip side, I'd still like to check my FB or check thebump without switching to my phone.

The touch has no FB app that I know of.  I have both a Touch and an Acer Tablet.  the Touch was soooo cheap and I solely use that for reading books.  The fire while a great compromise the glare sucks.  It may have "anti-glare" but it no workie.

• I have the one that is 3g/wifi. I love it. Like you I only wanted it for reading, my spouse is trying to get me to upgrade to the kindle fire but I refuse. I like the 3g because if I am somehwere I cannot get wifi (like on a LONG car ride) I can still get 3g and buy books. But no connections is needed to actually read.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLizzyTheFrizzy:
    imagechach916:

I have a Kindle 3G touch.  It has wi-fi and 3G.  With the wiifi connected you can use the internet but it is a black and white browser.  Still gets the job done though.  I got it because if I want to download a book I don't have to worry about having wifi.  The 3G covers it. The Kindle Fire only uses wifi. 

So on the fire and the wifi only Kindles, if you aren't by a hotspot you have no connection.  No book downloading, and no internet.  That means no Facebook and certain apps.  

Also the Kindle fire is terrible outdoors.  Or reading in a car usually because of sun in the windows.  If you just want to read I would get the 3g wifi touch that way you are covered either way.  Or the keyboard one because I think it has 3G also.  But the other one is smaller.  

It does. I have the keyboard one not the touch

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have a kindle keyboard that I adore.  It has the 3G and wifi on it.  You can do basic browsing but nothing fancy.   If you are looking for an E reader just to be an E reader go with the Kindle keyboard, way less hard on your eyes than reading on a backlit screen all day.  Also the battery life is crazy long because it doesnt have the backlit.  I went with the keyboard vs the touch because I liked that I could see more of the page than when I was shopping for books etc with it than with the Touch where the keyboard ate up half the screen.

I would get the one with 3G just because its really nice if your traveling or whatever and dont have easy access to the internet to be able to download a book still.  I use my on the train a lot to and from work so the 3G has been worth it.  Also make sure you get the cover with the book light built into it.

Personally I look at the Fire and IPad as totally different types of devices, they are more tablets less for reading, the Kindle is hands down the best option if you just want to read.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have the regular Kindle with 3G because I wanted to have that for traveling if I needed to dl books w/o a wifi connection. I bought teh case w/ the light built in. No qualms so far. 
  • Disclaimer: I don't have a Kindle yet, but I plan to get one in the next month or so (when I'm done with all my physical books I own).  

I will say that 3 of my good friends all have the Kindle Touch w/o 3G.  It rocks.  If you want to use it just to read (as you stated), this does the job, with no glare (I have heard that the no glare on the Fire does not work).  If you don't care about the internet and are using the wifi to download books, the $99 Touch is the way to go (if you already have wireless at home).  Seems like everywhere we go, you can get wireless somewhere.

I think you can check them all out at Best Buy.  Good luck, I'll be joining the ranks soon as well. 

If being a math nerd is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
  • imagechach916:

Can you surf internet on the touch?  Are FB or apps even available?  I keep hearing conflicting info.

If you get the Kindle touch (this is the one that I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8O/ref=famstripe_kt3g ) then it can go to facebook, through the browser.  You would use wifi for that.  It's a black and white screen so it won't look like a miniature desktop version of course but I can use it when I want to.

The reason I do not like the fire is you can't use it outside because of the glare.  You can't download if you aren't near wifi.  You can't use certain apps.  It's only going to be using all of its capabilities if you are inside, near a wifi connection. 

I use my phone for apps or internet when I'm not home.  I read on my Kindle and I am as happy as can be with it.   You can go to a Target and they have demo models of the Fire and touch.  You can get a feel for it there.  The Fire is about 3 times heavier than the touch also.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I got the $79 one with wifi and "special offers." It's all I need for reading.

I don't care about the ads being my screensaver and if I keep my wifi off for awhile (which also saves battery life) the special offers don't update and my screensaver is just a picture of letters or somethingorother.

I guess 3G is important if you want to download books while on the subway or something, but it wasn't important to me; I'll just download my books at home.

I managed to update my facebook while fooling around on my kindle one day, but I couldn't tell you how I did it now so it has some web capabilities.

Just turn on your wifi when you want to download a book. You don't need to have wifi turned on to read the book.

I like mine because it's easy and lightweight. No bells and whistles that I wouldn't use anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

The Nest/Bump sucks and won't let me change my location. I'm in Arkansas, not Florida.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"