December 2012 Moms

First U/S, HCG, Progesterone...not looking so good. :(

After lightly spotting for about a week, I called and requested to have my HCG levels tested.  They were 5025 on Tuesday and only 5777 on Thursday [48 hrs. later].  My progesterone was 7.01 which is low.  I went in for my first U/S today and they said I am only measuring 5weeks1day.  I half expected this because I knew that I ovulated later in my cycle but I'm super stressed about the HCG and progesterone levels. 

They were able to find the sac and yolk which is a good thing so I know it actually implanted *inside* my uterus but we weren't able to see anything else at this point.  They scheduled me for another U/S next Friday.

I don't want to give up all hope at this point but things aren't looking so good as of now. :(  Is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience?   I'm open to hearing the good, the bad and the ugly.

Re: First U/S, HCG, Progesterone...not looking so good. :(

• I've never had hcg numbers pulled, but I know how scary a non-reaffirming u/s can be. I'll be thinking of you and pulling for you!
    image image image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TTC#2 since 7/11

BFP#1 11/9/11

Natural m/c 12/7/11 @ 6w6d

BFP#2 4/3/12

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trying for #2, Take 2!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • T&P - hope someone can give you some insight. 

• Are they going to give you a progesterone supplement to try to help that out at least?
  • Hang in there lady!  I went in at 5w 5d and they saw the same thing as you.  A week later-the baby and grown and we saw the heart beat!  I am on progesterone supplements as well so might be worth asking the dr. about.  GOOD LUCK!
  • image soontobhartwell:
    Hang in there lady!  I went in at 5w 5d and they saw the same thing as you.  A week later-the baby and grown and we saw the heart beat!  I am on progesterone supplements as well so might be worth asking the dr. about.  GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for the encouragement!  I did ask the doctor about taking a progesterone supplement and he said that it wouldn't help.  He said that it is the "cause and effect debate" and they cannot determine if my levels are low because something is wrong with the baby or if something is wrong because my levels are low.  He said taking something wouldn't help because I would need to start those much earlier on in the pregnancy???  It sounds like it helped for you though!  Maybe I'll call again.  I wasn't able to see MY doctor today...just another physician that was available.  

• My RE won't put any stock in any numbers above 1000 - they are not trustworthy after that. You could have implanted later hence the measurement behind or the u/s tech could have not calculated 100% accurately. It happens frequently in ear;y pregnancy. Your progesterone is dangerously low though - did he give you suppositories? If not, you need to call and talk to them about that. It is still early to see much if you are 5weeks. I am fxing that everything works out for you! 
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Not sure how true it is, but I heard once you are in the thousands that your numbers don't always double. T & P
    Blessed with one amazing husband, three awesome kids, 2 angel babies and had a healthy baby boy December 2012. 10-18-2011 MMC D & C at 15 weeks 4 days EDD of 4-06-2012 3-11-12 CP EDD of 11-13-2012 Pregnant April 11, 2012 EDD 12-22-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Meli BMeli B
    500 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its

My progesterone dropped from 10 to 8 at 5w 2d but the hcg doubbled. At 5w 6d they did an u/s and we saw the gest. sac and yolk sac. They told me it all looked perfect and started me on progesterone supplememt to help with my level. Allthough they assured me they have seen someone with a level 5 deliver a healthy baby and not all women are the same but I felt more secure taking the supplement. Last december I had a m/c and my progesterone level was a 10 and my hcg was not doubbling. I will have another f/u u/s next friday at 7w 1d so you and I will be going in the same day. I hope and pray all goes well for you, do not loose hope.

I had posted my scenario on the 2nd trimester board since many I was sure had gone through this and got a lot of feedback with positive outcome.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image Meli B:

My progesterone dropped from 10 to 8 at 5w 2d but the hcg doubbled. At 5w 6d they did an u/s and we saw the gest. sac and yolk sac. They told me it all looked perfect and started me on progesterone supplememt to help with my level. Allthough they assured me they have seen someone with a level 5 deliver a healthy baby and not all women are the same but I felt more secure taking the supplement. Last december I had a m/c and my progesterone level was a 10 and my hcg was not doubbling. I will have another f/u u/s next friday at 7w 1d so you and I will be going in the same day. I hope and pray all goes well for you, do not loose hope.

I had posted my scenario on the 2nd trimester board since many I was sure had gone through this and got a lot of feedback with positive outcome.

Thanks MeliB!  I just called the doctor again and the NP said that they do not put people on the progesterone supplement this far along which conflicts with EVERYTHING I am reading.  Ugh, I am so frustrated.  She said that many doctors have different stances on this but the two senior practitioners in this practice hold that position so they typically don't prescribe them.  Really?  She said that it may be helpful for my next pregnancy if this one is not viable but that is something that I can discuss with my doctor after I miscarry.   What a B!  From what I've read, there is debate over whether or not they will help if not taken from the start but that they can't hurt.  So, why won't they just prescribe them? 

I wasn't able to see my doctor today and the NP said that she would check with her on Monday...which seems like a lifetime away.   Thank you all for your T&P's!

• Meli BMeli B
    500 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its
    image Gibbybabe:
    image Meli B:

Thanks MeliB!  I just called the doctor again and the NP said that they do not put people on the progesterone supplement this far along which conflicts with EVERYTHING I am reading.  Ugh, I am so frustrated.  She said that many doctors have different stances on this but the two senior practitioners in this practice hold that position so they typically don't prescribe them.  Really?  She said that it may be helpful for my next pregnancy if this one is not viable but that is something that I can discuss with my doctor after I miscarry.   What a B!  From what I've read, there is debate over whether or not they will help if not taken from the start but that they can't hurt.  So, why won't they just prescribe them? 

I wasn't able to see my doctor today and the NP said that she would check with her on Monday...which seems like a lifetime away.   Thank you all for your T&P's!

OMG! That is the same thing the NP told me when she called to give me the results and I inquired about Progesterone supplement. At that point I was a nervous wreck and went in person the next day to see my OB and they prescribed it. You need to go in and request it. Good luck and try not to loose hope...believe me I know how hard it is but I had already convinced myself that if thi OB didn't help me I would go to another doctor how many people advised me. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

• praying for you!!! <3
    Adalyn Raine was born 11/29/12 at 7:51 am

• I second getting on progesterone stat. I know the debate that doctors are referring to but if you have a real progesterone deficiency then the progesterone is necessary. If this is your first pregnancy and never had your progesterone levels checked during a cycle before, you don't know if you have progesterone problems. So many doctors prescribe it "just in case" because it is hard to test (you have to have it tested on certain cycle days) and once your pregnant the numbers can be skewed. So long story short, I would press to get on the supps.

Hang in there hun, I know the waiting is hard. (((Hugs)) Sending  many t&p's your way.

Oh and I have also heard that your numbers will not necessarily double when you get in the thousands.

BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • I hope everything turns out well. I had an ultrasound at 5w5d and only saw a gestational and yolk sac. I went back at 7w4d and saw baby w/heartbeat. Keep us updated!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards