Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Challenge from P&CE

There's a $10,000 bet on the line that at least 5 people here will defend the dress. I'm actually putting my odds on 12-24 that it is 4 or less that defend it. I need a down payment on a new car so don't disappoint me.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/1/65408391/ShowThread.aspx

WDYT? Should she be able to wear the dress to prom?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Challenge from P&CE

• lol

Her name is Texanna.  Are we really surprised?

Also, no she should not.

• imaget watley:
    I wonder if the designer of that dress graduated from the same art school as my photographer?
    ::snort::
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eh, the question isn't CAN she wear the dress, it's SHOULD she.

No, she should not. 

• imageMom2Oli:
    it's not against the school dress code and it's not against the law, no matter how much against people's sensibilities it is. She has full right to wear it.

Well, now I'm not sending you $500 to spend on shoes. 

• imaget watley:
    Sucks you've already had like 3 people defend it. lol

They're always right about us Bumpies. *sigh* 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well, I, for one, think it is lovely.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Out of curiousity, does displaying the Confederate flag represent hate speech? Is hate speech covered by the 1st amendment? Are people who wear the Confederate flag or the American flag on their clothing unaware that wearing them is considered inappropriate display of the flag? On the US flag, it is supposed to be a crime but I dont think anyone actually ever prosecutes or Hilfiger and WalMart would both be out of business.

Oh, and on both this and the 2004 dress, OMFG fug. The school district should be suing the girls for disability after going blind seeing them.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• 1.  I can't see clearly, but it looks like her shoes may be clear mules.  Please let it be so.

2.  She said in the USA Today article that she wanted to be different.  She was too late:

https://dovbear.blogspot.com/2004/12/confederate-battle-dress.html

ETA: Shiiit.  Sorry.  Didn't read P&CE link first.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I say the school can compromise her free speech all they want if:  1). The arm of the school extends over prom or 2) Prom is on the school's campus. 

If the student committee is running/paying for prom and THEY have the legal culpability here, then the answer might be different.  But if the SCHOOL sponsors prom, then the SCHOOL can tell her not to wear it.  You don't have uncompromised 1st amendment speech in school - in locus parentis dictates that the school has a right to protect idiots from themselves and each other when under the power of the school.

Personally, I would've let her wear it, but I wouldn't want to settle the lawsuit for her post-prom beatdown.  

• At first I thought it was just a tacky American flag dress, and then I saw that it was a sparkly racist disaster. Awesome.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Ok, so I am just a good old Canadian girl here, but I'm gonna go with no the school shouldn't allow it. I think they did the right thing not allowing her in.

To me it has nothing to do with freedom of speech.  Part of what I expect high school to do is teach my kids what is and is not appropriate in society.  Conferderate flag dress on your prom dress, not appropriate. And for eff's sake the girl was told she could come back if she changed.

I wonder what some of you would think if she had come to prom with a swastika on her dress.  Should she be allowed to wear that??

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • imagerebs:

Ok, so I am just a good old Canadian girl here, but I'm gonna go with no the school shouldn't allow it. I think they did the right thing not allowing her in.

To me it has nothing to do with freedom of speech.  Part of what I expect high school to do is teach my kids what is and is not appropriate in society.  Conferderate flag dress on your prom dress, not appropriate. And for eff's sake the girl was told she could come back if she changed.

I wonder what some of you would think if she had come to prom with a swastika on her dress.  Should she be allowed to wear that??

I like Canadians. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"