Toddlers: 24 Months+

How does your 2.5 year old handle the playground?

Tegan LOVES to go to the park, but once we're there she just sort of wanders around, occasionally goes down a slide and spends a fair amount of time swinging (which I think is funny since she has a swing at home). She seems almost intimidated by the playscape type structures and is extremely cautious in regards to what she will and won't climb. Part of it is her nature (she's very cautious by nature), but I worry that the other part is that she's behind in some type of physical development due to her cautiousness. So, out of curiousity... What does your child do at the playground?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How does your 2.5 year old handle the playground?

• My DS will do anything and everything but only if it's almost empty he likes ot go when there is only one or two older kids and then he follows them.  More  kids and he stops everything one kid his age he will not play I have almost given up it's no fun unless he is following someone then he tries things he is to small for

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• DD (not quite 2.5 yet) really likes to climb the structures and go down the slide.  She will do it over and over and over.  She is terrified of the swings and will not let me put her in one anymore.  She is pretty adventurous until the older kids come and then she clams up and we're done.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was like that up until a few months ago. I find that his confidence has really skyrocketed since about March. I think a big factor in that was actually the gymnastics class he was in. He started showing a lot more interest in exploring what he is capable of physically. He's also very cautious so it was great for him to be able to do that in a safe environment where it was normal for mommy to be there helping him. Since then he's become much more independent at the park and is a lot more willing to at least try climbing the bigger equipment, etc. He still gets nervous and occasionally asks for hlp or gets too scared but I'm proud of how much more confidence he has.

• If no one is there she jumps right in and plays on anything, she does like to swing for along time too.. that is her new thing. If there are other kids she usually is more cautious, stares at them I generally introduce my self and that helps she does like to follow other children, especially kids that are just a bit older than her. If we go somewhere new she takes a few minutes to warm up but she is very physical and bold and will play on everything.

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • My DS goes nuts, he will pretty much try anything and chases after the older boys and tries to mimic them...I get so worried but try and let him do his thing.  I have a hard time keeping up.  I wouldn't worry about your DD, does she play with other kids when she is there? Maybe if she has a friend who is more daring she might follow along and be less cautious.
    ***Momma to E 7/7/09 and A 8/14/2010***
  • DS is very cautious too. It took him many trips to the park before he would go down the big swirly slide. He would get up there and then back out. One day he saw bigger kids go down it so he started too but it took a good month or so. He was also timid of a few other things like the swinging bridge type structure. It just takes him a few trips to loosen up and be comfortable. He loves "playing" with older kids that are there, even though I'm not sure they know he's playing with them. He watches them and wants to do what they're doing. DS has never showed any interest in the swings. He just likes to run and climb and now do the "big" slide.
  • imagelolonyo:
    DS was like that up until a few months ago. I find that his confidence has really skyrocketed since about March. I think a big factor in that was actually the gymnastics class he was in. He started showing a lot more interest in exploring what he is capable of physically. He's also very cautious so it was great for him to be able to do that in a safe environment where it was normal for mommy to be there helping him. Since then he's become much more independent at the park and is a lot more willing to at least try climbing the bigger equipment, etc. He still gets nervous and occasionally asks for hlp or gets too scared but I'm proud of how much more confidence he has.

This is my DS.  We have a huge set in our yard and he was very timid on everything but the solid steps and slide.  His OT suggested putting him in gymnastics and it has changed him a lot in a short time.  He used to flip out when he wasn't on solid ground, but suddenly he began using the rock wall, rope ladder, and crossing the balance beam.  But at a public pg, he is hesitant around more than a couple other kids.  DD, also 2.5, is a wild thing and will climb like a monkey carefree- not seeming to even be aware of what her body is doing.  She is a daredevil and will shimmmy  up a pole to get to the monkey bars, cross what she can and drop to the ground- they are so different.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter does everything. But we live in NYC, so we don't have a yard. As a result she's been at the playground just about daily since she was 3 days old because it's the only option we have for the kids to go outside at all.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oops! I should have mentioned that Tegan is in a Mommy and Me dance/gymnastics class and has been since she was 18 months old. She's always been ahead of the game with verbal skills, but at 18 months was getting close to being delayed in some of her gross motor skills. We put her in the class to boost her confidence and it's definitely been a big help! We've also discovered that she's really into and rather good at the dance aspect of the class, so she'll be starting a ballet/tap combo class this summer. Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there. Also, in response to a PP, yes, she's pretty social and definitely likes to make friends at the park. Today she also had her two older cousins (9 and 10) at the park with us (they've been living with us since September) and she is more adventurous when they encourage her to do certain things. So, do y'all think I should just keep taking her and encouraging her to try new things?
  • LO is a climber.  He seriously has no fear for anything.  He tackles the playground like a pro and goes on anything we allow him.  There are some parts of the payground in our neighborhood that are crazy high (its a really old park, probably doesn't even meet safety codes now) that we have to literally barcade him from going on. 

I kinda wish he was more cautious...

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• For a while, my DS would do anything and everything on the structures...but only if there were no other kids on it.  If there was even one other kid, he wouldn't go up at all.  Once he started school, he got over that since they only have 1 structure at school and all the kids are on it at the same time. 

DD is our daredevil...she has already mastered most of the big kids jungle gyms except for the parts I won't let her do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD can climb up to a slide, but refuses to go down without my hand.  She was fine with it last fall, though.
    She doesn't care for swings - only lasts a few seconds.  She does like going up the steps and crawling around in the tubes.  They have 2-5 year old equipment that makes it pretty easy.
    She is pretty cautious.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Full force into everything. New things (climbing ropes and sliding poles) she will look at and shoot us a look like she's scared, but then ask for help figuring it out. She does a lot better tackling fears with DH than me... he's more fun and less paranoid than me. We do try to either play with her or bring/meet friends when we go to the playground, otherwise she'll just kind of sit back and watch other kids.

What makes you worried about developmental delays? Your LO may just not be into the physical/social playground scene yet. Do you have stairs at home? Maybe she just needs practice climbing. Is the playground full of kids when you go, or quiet... both scenarios might seem daunting to her. I'm not real sure, but I would think what you're describing is ok, but if you're concerned bring it up with the pedi. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD loves the playground she has so much fun. When there are other kids there she watches them then copies them. Kinda cute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD loves anything that she can climb - stairs, ropes, bars, etc.  She also loves the slides, but is cautious about them(doesn't like the swirly one or the steeper "big kid" one).  She doesn't like swings.  She's pretty careful about holding on if she's up high, but she definitely has no fear about trying.
  • DD loves the playground.  She even prefers the section that's usually meant for the big kids.  She'll do pretty much anything I'll let her. 

The playgrounds that you take her to, is it just one structure?  The ones we usually go to have a separate one for kids her age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS will pretty much do the slides over and over right now. He likes the swings too, but lately he's all about the slides. He's started wanting to climb a bit more lately as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagedragon_chica:

DD loves the playground.  She even prefers the section that's usually meant for the big kids.  She'll do pretty much anything I'll let her. 

The playgrounds that you take her to, is it just one structure?  The ones we usually go to have a separate one for kids her age.

Yes, a lot of the playgrounds where I take her have a separate toddler area. She does pretty well in that area, although she's definitely not just taking off and climbing like a monkey.

PP, I don't really worry about physical delays necessarily, I just worry that she won't be as coordinated or athletic as her peers, due to her cautiousness, if that makes sense... 

• Mine has been going all out since about 18 months. He has NO fear. Thankfully he has some sense of self preservation. He doesn't even notice the other kids. I've done a lot of playdates at playgrounds and most of the kids are pretty cautious and don't want to get on the equipment. They range from 2 to young 3's. I think it's pretty normal. Some of the more cautious kids will play on a small toddler structure (very short and easy for toddlers) if there aren't other kids there but that's it.
  • My almost 2 year old goes on the slide multiple times, and he gets upset when we have to leave.  He is very active on the the playground.  We just have to watch him around other kids and make sure that he is playing fair with the other kids. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • DS goes down the slides over and over.  He also likes climbing ladders, crawling through tunnels, and generally running around.  He does not care for swings.  He is very cautious, so he is careful about how he climbs, but his love of slides wins out over his fear of climbing :)
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • My daughter is fearless.  Ever since she could walk, she has been busy climbing and trying to figure out the play structures.  Last summer, I was a nervous wreck trying to help her.  This year, she is much more coordinated and I am able to watch with occasional spotting on a new ladder.  She has even learned to do the firemen's pole.  To be honest, I wish that she were a bit more timid.
  • She's cautious and shy around the other kids, but fearless when it comes to the equipment. She climbs everything, goes down slides backwards and head-first, and even goes down the biggest slide (one that I have actual memories of being frightened of as a kid) by herself.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• DD can climb pretty much any jungle gym, even the ones for the bigger kids, and she loves going down the slides. The bigger and more twisty the better.  She is also a "joiner".  She will join a group of other little girls and color with chalk or play ball, whatever they are doing. She likes the swings, but only swings for a few monutes at a time.  She is more interested in having her freedom to roam, rather than being confined to a swing. I think she is like this though because she has an older brother and tries to keep up with him.

DS at 2,5 years old mainly just ran around at the playground.  He would only play on the parts of the jungle gym that were at his level.  He did not really know how to climb up into them until he was closer to 3. He liked the swings best and would stay in one for a long time. He also liked to bring his toy lawn mower with him and push it around. He did not really learn to join other kids and play with them until he started preschool at 3 years old.

• My 2.5 yo does it all. He prefers the big kid stuff so we stay away from playgrounds like that since he makes a bee line for structures he's too small to play on. I end up having to rescue him or having my heart drop when I see him on certain structures. He definitely learns from and copies the big kids. 
    This is my AE.
  • Depends on the mood DD is in that day.

There are days she'd be perfectly content standing there watching everyone else play, and others where she is all over the place running with the other kids.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"